Caliper Covers or Painting/Powder Coating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper Covers or Painting/Powder Coating

thunderstruck

Reaction score
City, State
Norwood, PA
painted calipers?

I searched on the forum and couldn't find anything.

Has anyone looked at painting their calipers, or better yet, has anyone actually done it on a 2011? The wheels are so open, and the calipers are so big, it seems like a nice upgrade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would be easy enough...honestly the sooner the better since there should be almost no surface rust or brake dust build up.

You could do it in a garage over the weekend and not even have to remove the calipers...just hang them in the wheel well with wire

One of the first things I noticed about my XLT is that the calipers are painted silver so they blend in with the wheels. Painting them another color seems unnecesary.

My Z06 has painted calipers from the factory but at least their finished a little better... have letters on them to stand out...

imo, Seems like a waste of time on the X... they're pretty ugly calipers... rough looking. Better left unnoticed.

Aftermarket or hopefully cheaper maybe the police package brake system mentioned elsewhere may have better looking calipers.

One of the first things I noticed about my XLT is that the calipers are painted silver so they blend in with the wheels. Painting them another color seems unnecesary.

powdercoat em.. Look at JTsmith's powdercoat thread

I got the painted wheels, specifically to powder coat them black like the car. I'm going to powder coat the calipers as well. I'll put pics up when it happens.

Just finally took delivery two days ago and already have to get the computer reflashed. Working out bugs before I start modifying.

I got the painted wheels, specifically to powder coat them black like the car. I'm going to powder coat the calipers as well. I'll put pics up when it happens.

Just finally took delivery two days ago and already have to get the computer reflashed. Working out bugs before I start modifying.

Powder coating the 20" original Limited wheels could look very cool on an all black Ex. Then tint the fronts 35% darker too.

For the post above asking about the Police Interceptor Utility brake package, it's a Brembo calliper painted black to match the police black 5 spoke steel wheel.

I normally tint my fronts, but I just got a ticket for it a few weeks ago on the Aviator I traded in on the Ex. In California, they seem to be addressing budget shortfalls with nuisance tickets. The credibility of law enforcement in CA has bottomed out since the collapse. They used to actually fight "Chrime".

I wish I could tint them, but it's an invitation for colored lights here.

nice... hopefully less expensive for the police brembo package than going with retail brembos?
I'd be ok with black brembos and if the letters were also black, would just polish out the brembo letters and then clear coat it.

Powder coating the 20" original Limited wheels could look very cool on an all black Ex. Then tint the fronts 35% darker too.

For the post above asking about the Police Interceptor Utility brake package, it's a Brembo calliper painted black to match the police black 5 spoke steel wheel.

I will try and a pic for you in June at the Ford 2012 Fleet event in Dearborn

The idea of painting the calipers (stock one), is a waste, to rough. I have contacted Willwod, and Brembo, by later this year they may have aftermarket factory replacements for the new ex, I'll keep you posted.

The idea of painting the calipers (stock one), is a waste, to rough. I have contacted Willwod, and Brembo, by later this year they may have aftermarket factory replacements for the new ex, I'll keep you posted.

Did both of those companies say specifically Calipers? Because I'm thinking more like disc replacements hopefully those too, like slotted and drilled like the UUC ones. That would be a great heat dissipatter and improvement over stock. I guess time will tell.

Caliper bolt torque specs?

Contrary to some opinions, I'm forging ahead with painting my calipers. Larger calipers like those from Brembo or Wildwood would certainly look better but given the cost I think a half a day and a can of spray paint is a pretty good alternative.

I've got my wheels off for powder coating and figured what the hell I'll paint the calipers! I have them unbolted now and hope to get them painted and put back on today.

On important detail escapes me...Does anyone know where I might find the torque specs for the caliper bolts?

Carrier to hub is typically 65 ft lbs, guide pin to carrier is usually 15-20 ft lbs.

Thanks!

Well, it should look good, I contacts at Brembo/ Willwood bothe verified stock replacement atnthis time, there is some discussions about a step up performance replacement package, funny you should ask about heat dissipation with regards to the stock x brakes. I was going to wait and do a completed review on the other thread, so hers how I spent my Labor Day of course doing what I like to do best, racing, no not with the race car, but with my new x at Infinieon Race Way or Sears Point, here we go on the brakes, and Select Shift tranny,

1) braking into a turn at 90 mph approx.
A) straight an true, no fade
2) braking into a turn from a long staight away, 100 mph approx. again very positive, firm and true, no rumble from the rotors or brakes

3) shifting in the manual mode, and toe and gas the pedals with the right foot
A) not bad, but very hard keep the shoes glue to the pedals under hard acceleration, and deceleration while turning on a road course.

Note, I applied brake rotor paint to give me a accurate temp on the rotors and brakes, highest temp recorded after 5 lapes, 750 degrees to 1000 degrees under hard braking.

Over all the x handles very well, body roll is present but held from diving in the turn, not bad, the tranny performed well, and handled the down shifting and up shifting well.

More later guys. Hope this answers your the brake temp question, the rotors are plenty big enough and thick to stop this train!

Well, it should look good, I contacts at Brembo/ Willwood bothe verified stock replacement atnthis time, there is some discussions about a step up performance replacement package, funny you should ask about heat dissipation with regards to the stock x brakes. I was going to wait and do a completed review on the other thread, so hers how I spent my Labor Day of course doing what I like to do best, racing, no not with the race car, but with my new x at Infinieon Race Way or Sears Point, here we go on the brakes, and Select Shift tranny,

1) braking into a turn at 90 mph approx.
A) straight an true, no fade
2) braking into a turn from a long staight away, 100 mph approx. again very positive, firm and true, no rumble from the rotors or brakes

3) shifting in the manual mode, and toe and gas the pedals with the right foot
A) not bad, but very hard keep the shoes glue to the pedals under hard acceleration, and deceleration while turning on a road course.

Note, I applied brake rotor paint to give me a accurate temp on the rotors and brakes, highest temp recorded after 5 lapes, 750 degrees to 1000 degrees under hard braking.

Over all the x handles very well, body roll is present but held from diving in the turn, not bad, the tranny performed well, and handled the down shifting and up shifting well.

More later guys. Hope this answers your the brake temp question, the rotors are plenty big enough and thick to stop this train!

Nice!!

I'm very surprised you tested it to the limits....or did you find restraining yourself from its full out limit?

I remember, when I was in a fully uparmored Suburban I remember taking a turn-in at the limit. I was expecting for a blowout but my instructor stated to me you know to dial it back to 80-90%...apparently I was at 100% but it is very hard to judge due to the in-ability to judge 10k plus pounds in an shifting weight at 80 mph.

Did you find it hard to tell where the weight of the Ex was on a tight apex?

Also are you on 20" wheels? Nice review and I appreciate you taking the time to record and post temps off the rotors.

EDIT: Any black or white smoke from the rear calipers? Cuz I fried the **** outta of the rears on the Suburban after a threshhold braking with swerve to avoid while taking an tight and elevation change apex....it was sooo much fun running Code 3 while manuvering this beast at high speeds with limited visiblity of the bullet ressitant windows!! I'm get excited over here, you've inspired me to take my X to the track now! Doubt it would fly with the Mrs.......:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TIO, your welcome, and yes the mrs was in the x for the first lap, a little easy on her, but I was the lone ranger for the rest.

Ford really did a nice job on the curve correction in it's computer, you can actually feel kick in and slow down the vehicle, no darting or unexpected moves. Traction control, not bad, I squeal the tires, especially in the middle of each turn. I didn't feel uneasy like you sometimes Experience in longer nose cars ( ie. Vetted, ac cobras, you can feel it come out from under you. (loose in and out) pretty balanced I'd say

Surprising I was looking for the smoke, specially going into turn 11, you at speed and
downshifting, and braking hard before the turn ( hairpin)

For a V6, it's not bad, pretty steady acceleration, a nice turbo like on the intercepter would
be cool. I just wanted to see what she could do that's all, also, it helps me feel were the
issues are going to be in an emergency situation, oh is does 180 turn around ok, not the prettiest, but it will do, you have to lead it a tad.

Back