• Register Today It's free!

Strange Noise - Thud Sound

tttsample

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
We have the limited. When we start the vehicle and start driving forward, at about 10-20 feet, there is a small thud sound (you can feel it under your feet and coming from the engine/transmission(?), one time only. This happens every time! Start the car, drive, and you can hear the thud sound. Anyone else has this sound? Anyone go to the dealer about this?
Don't turn any music and see if you can hear this sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have the limited. When we start the vehicle and start driving forward, at about 10-20 feet, there is a small thud sound (you can feel it under your feet and coming from the engine/transmission(?), one time only. This happens every time! Start the car, drive, and you can hear the thud sound. Anyone else has this sound? Anyone go to the dealer about this?

Yes, I have noticed it recently. Seems to be something in the steering column. Not sure what it is. Like you said, happens in the first 10' right after start up. I find it's when I'm turning the steering wheel. Strange. Will talk to the dealer about it.

Is it the 4WD? Because I check the distribution of torque from the engine to the wheels and it seems that the rear axles gets disconnected after you accelerate 0 - 20. I don't remember hearing a thud sound but I do feel a jerk.

Yes 4WD. Not sure if it would disconnect just below the driver though. Feel it in the floor directly below my feet. Wouldn't that disconnect happen further back. Not sure!

I suggest look at the thing that monitors torque distribution. I had the biggest thud once... I got scared but I knew it was because the axles were disconnecting but it sounds like the system isn't very efficient in doing so...

I noticed that right when I accelerate when it's about to disconnect, the jolt harder and the thud is louder.

I have the thud also. Limited 4wd.....one time only after start up...I'll have to monitor the screen to pin point if its the 4wd.

I've noticed this as well. Mine is FWD and I notice it every time I back out of the driveway shift into drive and start to roll forward - quiet "thud"...

I can imagine that a noise like this would be disconcerting, and I would like to offer to assist by looking into this for you. I already have the details for your Explorer from previous messages, so you would only need to message me your dealer name and the approximate mileage if you would like my help.

Cory

Yes, I have noticed it recently. Seems to be something in the steering column. Not sure what it is. Like you said, happens in the first 10' right after start up. I find it's when I'm turning the steering wheel. Strange. Will talk to the dealer about it.
I would like to see this noise issue resolved on your Explorer but unfortunately I can’t assist because you live in Canada. I recommend contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center (1-800-565-3673) to see if this can be reviewed for you. Even though I can’t work on your case, please don’t hesitate to message me if you have any questions or concerns that you think I can help with.

Cory

Is it the 4WD? Because I check the distribution of torque from the engine to the wheels and it seems that the rear axles gets disconnected after you accelerate 0 - 20. I don't remember hearing a thud sound but I do feel a jerk.
If you’re feeling a jerk while accelerating, that an issue I can help with if you’d like to send me a PM with your Explorer’s information: VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name. Please let me know if this is something you’d like assistance with.

Cory

I have the thud also. Limited 4wd.....one time only after start up...I'll have to monitor the screen to pin point if its the 4wd.
If you’ve found any more information about the issue or would like help with having this looked into, please see my above post for the information I would need to assist. I will help in any way I can to resolve the noise concern you have been experiencing.

Cory

All ABS systems perform a diagnostic self-check when the vehicle is first put in motion. The 2011 Ford Explorer owners manual describes this on page 275 as the following:

When AdvanceTrac with RSC performs a normal system self-check,
some drivers may notice a slight movement of the brake, and/or a
rumble, grunting, or grinding noise after startup and when driving off.

Since what you described is repeatable, and it occurs each time you start your vehicle, and when first driving off, it could be noise from the normal self-diagnotic check of the ABS/Advance Trac system.

If this is the case then this would be a normal sound.

Google "ABS self check noise" and you will find most ABS equipped vehicles perform the same operation resulting in various noises during that self-check.

Back