• Register Today It's free!

Pandora in your Explora?

Loganfilm

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Monica, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited 4WD
Is anyone able to use Pandora with the current MFT system? Is this an option that we get later? I was really looking forward to using this. Bought the Verizon 4G Hotspot to get my iphone online to stream Pandora. Doesn't seem to be a way to access this yet.

Anyone have better information about this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you update to the latest version of Pandora?

Because you do know they released at update a couple of weeks ago.

We are now on version 3.1.10

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pandora-radio/id284035177?mt=8

Is anyone able to use Pandora with the current MFT system? Is this an option that we get later? I was really looking forward to using this. Bought the Verizon 4G Hotspot to get my iphone online to stream Pandora. Doesn't seem to be a way to access this yet.

i use it all the time in my explorer with my iphone. Need to launch pandora on the phone, select your channel then select your phone as the source from mft.

Hillarious.
:thumbsup:

I think it must be related to me being unable to play mp3's, too. Maybe my system problems are more than software.

Ughh.

Hillarious.

I think it must be related to me being unable to play mp3's, too. Maybe my system problems are more than software.

Ughh.

Maybe we are talking about two different things here.

I (and likely the others above my post) run Pandora on my iPhone and select bluetooth audio as output. MFT is merely a bluetooth audio input for the iPhone, nothing else.

You might be thinking of a true Pandora integration that would run on the MFT itself. That doesn't exist yet for the Explorer. (I think the 2012 Focus has it.)

I (and likely the others above my post) run Pandora on my iPhone and select bluetooth audio as output.

+1. Works great via BT on my Droid X.

The Ford SYNC® AppLink™ feature works with the free Pandora mobile app on select smartphones to provide direct control of Pandora in your vehicle via voice commands and from the controls on your steering-wheel.

Currently only 2011 Ford Fiesta SYNC®-equipped vehicles can obtain the AppLink™ software. Ford has announced that additional supported vehicles will be available in the future as well.

http://blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/10023.html

Pandora (and Stitcher and OpenBeak) is available thru SYNC via AppLink on the Fiesta. I dont think its available yet on other models.

Can I get SYNC AppLink on my vehicle?

SYNC AppLink was initially launched as a software update for North American 2011 Ford Fiesta vehicles. The SYNC feature will soon be available on some 2012 SYNC-equipped Ford and Lincoln vehicles, including the Mustang. We'll announce vehicles as soon as they are available, so stay tuned. The SYNC-equipped 2011 Ford Fiesta may require a software update.

Heres a video of how it works in the Fiesta

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20026640-48.html

So does that mean us with 2011 explorers are NOT getting the Pandora app? Are any apps available for the Ex yet?

Applink was announced with MFT when I saw it at the 2010 CES convention. I assume based on many customers' detrimental reliance on having this feature with MFT, that it will be added in a future update (perhaps the rumored major update that is coming).

The problem for iPhone users is that this may not support the iPhone not because of anything Ford is doing but because of Apple who (unlike Google, RIM and other mobile OS makers) is apparently insisting on a separate hardware chip in the car that I do not believe is in our 2011 Explorers. I love Apple and own many of their products but this is really annoying. Oh well, Pandora works great via bluetooth streaming (just have to use the iPhone to control it.

Here is a link and quote relating to the Apple iPhone App Circle of Trust.

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Wont+Let+Ford+in+App+Circle+of+Trust+Until+2011/article18366.htm

"Well, support for the iPhone won't come for a full year more (till the 2012 model year). When pressed for more info, Ford's engineers revealed to us that this was because Apple was requiring it to install special computer chips in-vehicle to let the MyTouch system know that it was dealing with "trusted apps". Despite having fully working demos, Apple won't let Ford into its circle of trust until the vehicles get the special authentication chips."

Rocketfan said:
"Well, support for the iPhone won't come for a full year more (till the 2012 model year). When pressed for more info, Ford's engineers revealed to us that this was because Apple was requiring it to install special computer chips in-vehicle to let the MyTouch system know that it was dealing with "trusted apps". Despite having fully working demos, Apple won't let Ford into its circle of trust until the vehicles get the special authentication chips."

Apple is doing the right thing. They don't want just any audio pimp shop around the corner interface with their ecosystem. This is what keeps the iPhone and app store clean. The circle of trust is a clearly defined specification, any company can build hardware interfaces as long as they comply. That includes authentication (key exchange) between 3rd party hardware and the iPhone - again, to ensure no malicious device can mess with it.

So does that mean us with 2011 explorers are NOT getting the Pandora app? Are any apps available for the Ex yet?
I'm not sure what the ETA is with this but I've forwarded your question and I will post when I get word back.

Hillarious.

Ughh.
Now that your concerns have been escalated, I hope this will be resolved for you soon. Meanwhile, did you happen to try any of the recommendations posted here?

Cory

I'm not sure what the ETA is with this but I've forwarded your question and I will post when I get word back.

Cory, any status on the Pandora app for the 2011 Ford Explorer? I remember seeing this way back at CES 2010 and was pretty excited as I really like Pandora. Also, can you find out if the Pandora app will be added whether it will work for the iPhone platform as well as the others?

I am hoping this is coming soon as Ford's German brethren (BMW/Mini) have gotten the iPhone flavor of Pandora working on its system. Given my iPhone media player control issues (my only complaint with MFT which I otherwise love), I am hoping this issue is being worked on. If not (and there really is some Apple/ Sync/ Microsoft issue), it would be helpful to know, as I may just switch to Droid when I leave AT&T after my contract is up in 2 months (I have had a lot of phone and network issues so I have to switch smartphones anyway and the answer here would factor in my decision).

Cory, thanks again for all your help

...Cory, thanks again for all your help
You’re welcome! I checked in on the progress with Pandora and found that even though there’s no solid date for the AppLink feature, I do know that our SYNC Engineering team is working hard to make it available for various vehicle lines. I’ll post additional information on the forum at a future date.

Cory

When streaming Pandora via BT, you can also skip songs with the touch screen or steering wheel.

I wouldn't switch to a Droid just so it works better on MFT. I have a Droid and although the Bluetooth phone works fine it's always disconnecting on me when trying to stream music through Pandora or play MP3's of my phone. My iPod isn't even working on MFT at the moment. I chatted with the SYNC techs and all they could tell me is "they have problems with iPods" and "this is a known issue, we're working on a fix and don't know when it will be available". It's pretty ridiculous considering I could play my iPod with no problems in my old car off of an old tape deck. I know it's mainly a problem with MFT because when I do a Master Reset on MFT it begins to work again but only for a day or two.

When streaming Pandora via BT, you can also skip songs with the touch screen or steering wheel.

You can? Thanks, I will try it when I hit the road. Now if there was only some way to start Pandora or change Pandora channels from the steering wheel or touchscreen, I wouldn't need the app. Oh well, I can always use an air vent or cup holder mounting system for my iPhone.

You can? Thanks, I will try it when I hit the road. Now if there was only some way to start Pandora or change Pandora channels from the steering wheel or touchscreen, I wouldn't need the app. Oh well, I can always use an air vent or cup holder mounting system for my iPhone.

DO NOT TRY THIS. I was a big MFT proponent and I tried skipping songs via bluetooth streaming from Pandora using the touchscreen and then the steering wheel controls. It worked but then caused a bug that prevents me from using bluetooth streaming at all. The device connects for a second and then disconnects every time now. Nothing I have tried so far (all night) has worked including deleting and re-pairing the phone. I think some combination of what I did using the MFT controls to skip songs must have caused this bug because everything worked before (except iPhone voice control) but now bluetooth streaming and USB from my iPhone does not work.

DO NOT TRY THIS. I was a big MFT proponent and I tried skipping songs via bluetooth streaming from Pandora using the touchscreen and then the steering wheel controls. It worked but then caused a bug that prevents me from using bluetooth streaming at all. The device connects for a second and then disconnects every time now. Nothing I have tried so far (all night) has worked including deleting and re-pairing the phone. I think some combination of what I did using the MFT controls to skip songs must have caused this bug because everything worked before (except iPhone voice control) but now bluetooth streaming and USB from my iPhone does not work.

I skip songs on Pandora all the time this way and never have an issue. Did you try rebooting your iphone? Apple has some of the buggiest bluetooth I've ever seen, I reboot mine often to avoid these issues.

This has NOT caused a problem on my blackberry nor my HTC Evo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has NOT caused a problem on my blackberry nor my HTC Evo.

I appreciate the help and was not trying to lay blame. I think this is just a MFT Apple bug that I hope there is an easy answer for. Just trying to give warning to iPhone 3gs users. My MFT was working great with iPhone Pandora via Bluetooth Stereo and USB until I tried this and now neither work. Hard reset my iPhone 2x, deleted phone and repaired it to MFT 2x, all to no avail. I wish there was a reset button for MFT (maybe next release/ this is a must for any computing device and even Apple devices have them) because I am too fat to fit in the footwell to pull a fairly inaccessible fuse.

Until now, I loved MFT. Now, I am starting to worry about the issues raised repeatedly on this forum. I am using MFT very carefully now and trying not to do anything new or different (don't want to set off another bug)

Back