How remove plastic panel near fuel reset switch near passeneger right side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How remove plastic panel near fuel reset switch near passeneger right side

RogerB1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mercury Mountaineer
panel2.jpg

I was trying to get into my fresh air door unit to remove the fallen plastic panel door and I dropped a short socket extender with a small socket behind the plastic panel on the floor against the right side of the vehicle (near passenger right foot). I am guessing it pops off because I do not see any hardware on it, but I don't wont to force it as there is already a small crack in it just below the fuel rest switch.

Your profile says you have a '98. This is the '02-'05 (3rd Gen) section. Here are the instructions for the 3rd Gen:

Remove Door Sill Plate - Pull sill plate straight up:

4ePASSONLY-RemoveDoorSill.jpg

Remove Door Sill Plate - Make sure you have all 3 metal clips on the bottom of the sill plate - if the clips stay on the body, just pull them off and put them on the bottom of the sill plate:

4eaPASSONLY-DontWorryAboutClips.jpg

Peel Away Molding - Start at the bottom and peel up until it clears the kick plate:

4fPASSONLY-PeelAwayMolding.jpg

Remove Kick Plate -Pull at positions indicated by red arrows straight back toward the back seat:

4gPASSONLY-RemoveKickPlate.jpg

Hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup:

no longer have the 1998, got a 2005

Thanks for mentioning that. I sold the explorer and bought a 2005 mercury mountaineer 2 weeks ago. I will update my profile. Thanks for the pics. I will see if that works.

Glad we got that cleared up! :p:

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted.

Back