Should I worry Now or Later?

interscope8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Purdue University
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
I have an '01 4x4, and was planning on doing a TT and Shackles in the coming weeks. I'm very very concerned about how the TT will wear on my front end suspension tho. I've read a lot about how stuff like that can tear up joints and what not. So, when i decide to do this, should I also invest in replacement ball joints and what not? If so can i get a list of parts to replace from a kind soul on here :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you go above 2'' on the TT, you will put your CV axles at a bad angle and might cause premature failure on those. Aside from that, if you get an alignment immediately after doing the lift, your other suspension components should not be adversely affected.

ok cool, I only wanna do 2 inches... or should i leave it below 2? like 1.75

1.75 is the safest bet. Keep the front end clean and well greased though, mud dries it out and kills it.

Don't go anymore then 1.75" on the TT.

Whats hard on the bearings is when you put bigger tires with offset that moves them further out. Offroading/Mudding kills parts.

I wanted to do a 1" offset too :\

you will be fine with a 2" tt. I ran 2" tt with 33x12.5's on wheels with 3.75 back spacing on two explorer's with no trouble at all. Got them nice and muddy atleast once a month too :)

Like others have said, keep it to 2" or less and it will be fine. The ball joints will crap out regardless, I've had them replaced on warranty on a couple Rangers and my old Sport Trac even when they weren't lifted.

Back