Scraping sound coming from the underbody area of my 1999 Explorer XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scraping sound coming from the underbody area of my 1999 Explorer XLT.

fo_99explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone.
I have a metallic scraping sound on my explorer. (1999 Ford Explorer XLT/AWD/V8 5.0L/131000 miles). I don't think it is brake related, just had new brake pads/rotors repaired last October, 2010.

The other day I first noticed the sound and as I drove home, the farther I went the louder it seems to get. I could hear the scraping while coasting in neutral. At one point I even turned off the engine while coasting and I could still hear the scraping sound. Yesterday, after not driving my explorer for a week, I took it around the block and could not hear any scraping or noise at all. I know that scraping sounds like that don't just vanish, so I am wondering if anyone has had this problem? I would like to have some kind of idea before taking it to a mechanic.

Thanks in advance.
Frank

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Raise the front of the vehicle,support it on jack stands, pull the wheels and look for loose brake caliper bolts, and--or-loose caliper bracket bolts.

The fact your brakes were worked on makes me suspicious, and it is not uncommon for a caliper to fall off. I hope I am wrong and this is not the problem but I do recommend you look.

I would verify its not a caliper...
The metal scraping you're hearing, I think could be your wheel hub.
Those can cause almost a grinding or metal shearing sound when they're bad or warped.
This can be bad as it may lead to the current bearing or future bearings to become unseated which could make the whole wheel fall off.

Iv had wheel bearings go in both of my explores.
Do what turdle said and spin each tire individually while its in the air.
also make sure your mudlfaps arent draggin or rubbing anywhere.

I know that this is an old thread, did anyone find out what the problem was? I am having a similar issue with my 98 Explorer 5.0 XLT AWD, the noise sounds like the squeaking or grinding when the brake wear bar is constantly scraping the rotor like it is when the pads need to be replaced, front pads are good. I mainly hear it when I am slowing down with and without the brakes applied. My viscous coupler and u-joint are fairly new and both wheel hubs have been replaced, I am starting to wonder if it is the cv-axels or the differential gear bearings. It is driving me nuts any and all help would and will be greatly appreciated.

I know that this is an old thread, did anyone find out what the problem was? I am having a similar issue with my 98 Explorer 5.0 XLT AWD, the noise sounds like the squeaking or grinding when the brake wear bar is constantly scraping the rotor like it is when the pads need to be replaced, front pads are good. I mainly hear it when I am slowing down with and without the brakes applied. My viscous coupler and u-joint are fairly new and both wheel hubs have been replaced, I am starting to wonder if it is the cv-axels or the differential gear bearings. It is driving me nuts any and all help would and will be greatly appreciated.
is it possible to put er on a lift and rotate the tires to see if it can be isolated? wonder if its something like Ujoints, it aint lifted right? just ruling out driveline angle.

is it possible to put er on a lift and rotate the tires to see if it can be isolated? wonder if its something like Ujoints, it aint lifted right? just ruling out driveline angle.

It is a stock 98 explorer xlt only thing changed is ad-a-leaf in the rear and bigger tires plus I don't have access to a lift I can go to whenever I need one

It is a stock 98 explorer xlt only thing changed is ad-a-leaf in the rear and bigger tires plus I don't have access to a lift I can go to whenever I need one
10-4, i dont have a lift either... jack and jackstabds? maybe someone else got a better idea than i

How long was it since your transfer case was rebuilt?

Hello everyone.
I have a metallic scraping sound on my explorer. (1999 Ford Explorer XLT/AWD/V8 5.0L/131000 miles). I don't think it is brake related, just had new brake pads/rotors repaired last October, 2010.

The other day I first noticed the sound and as I drove home, the farther I went the louder it seems to get. I could hear the scraping while coasting in neutral. At one point I even turned off the engine while coasting and I could still hear the scraping sound. Yesterday, after not driving my explorer for a week, I took it around the block and could not hear any scraping or noise at all. I know that scraping sounds like that don't just vanish, so I am wondering if anyone has had this problem? I would like to have some kind of idea before taking it to a mechanic.

Thanks in advance.
Frank
Try looking at the brake dust shield. They could make that sound when they rust and falling off.

Transfer case has not been rebuilt, just the front drive shaft u-joint and the viscous coupler at the end for the transfer case.
That’s a CV joint. The viscous coupling is inside the transfer case. If you replaced it with a cheap one, it’s possibly failed again. The cheap ones usually last 5-15k.

Pull the front shaft, and see if it still makes the noise.

That’s a CV joint. The viscous coupling is inside the transfer case. If you replaced it with a cheap one, it’s possibly failed again. The cheap ones usually last 5-15k.

Pull the front shaft, and see if it still makes the noise.
Ok will try that next month when I return from the Philippines, thanks

My vote is for the problematic front d shaft as well
Easy enough to diagnose

Thanks for all the input, it ended up being the front axle cv joint making the noise.

Back