• Register Today It's free!

4.0 harmonic balancer bad?

Javadog123

Reaction score
City, State
Hilo ,Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS AWD
I've read the threads on the harmonic balancer. The only symptom I have is the chirp at idle. I can see my tensioner bouncing which seems to be the source of the chirp, but when I look at my harmonic b, it runs very true. I have looked from both the front and the side and cannot see any wobble at all.

I just bought my 04 with 23,500 miles on it. I was thinking that because this thing was only driven a couple of months every year that my tensioner was just sticky. I was planning on a new belt and oiling the tensioner. Then I read all the threads but I'm not sure this is my problem.

Can the HB be bad with no signs of any wobble? Thanks

Quick follow-up. I pulled the tensioner and soaked it with wd-40 and then motor oil, let it drain, and re-installed with new belt. While the belt was off, checked the harmonic balancer for any movement pulling on it with my hands. No movement, seemed real solid. Started it up, and the chirp was gone. When I observe the tensioner, it still moves a little, but about 1/2 as much. Can anyone tell me if your tensioner stays dead still or does it move a little while running? My friend seem to think everything looks fine. Thanks

Quick follow-up. I pulled the tensioner and soaked it with wd-40 and then motor oil, let it drain, and re-installed with new belt. While the belt was off, checked the harmonic balancer for any movement pulling on it with my hands. No movement, seemed real solid. Started it up, and the chirp was gone. When I observe the tensioner, it still moves a little, but about 1/2 as much. Can anyone tell me if your tensioner stays dead still or does it move a little while running? My friend seem to think everything looks fine. Thanks

My HB went bad at about 38000 miles. You'll know it.. if yours just chirps at idle then I'm betting you're fine. Mine squealed loudly everywhere I went and increased with RPMs.

Tensioner moves slightly while running... they only cost $20 or so, so why not just replace it if you're concerned. I replaced the idler pulley, belt, and tensioner all at the same time - took about 20 minutes and cost under $50.

I'm not concerned about the tensioner, I'm just trying to prevent a break down if this is some kind of early sign that the harmonic balancer is going bad.

Thanks for letting me know your tensioner does move slightly. I feel better about driving this thing now. I'm fairly sure by HB is okay for now.

Back