• Register Today It's free!

Tranny ok now, but quit running?

Uncleo

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Lmited
I topped off the fluid in my tranny after it overheated pulling a boat uo a hill and it ran fine and tested and shifted fine with no slippage. I thought all was going to be great...but no! While I was at it I topped off the coolant in radiator thru the radiator cap not resovour...and even topped off the AC coolant. Truck test drove great...then checked tranny fluid while it was running and it needed a bit more...put in more and restarted it, but then it started running rough and quit...batter is strong, but cranks rough and wont start??? Any thoughts? Thanks Uncleo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Listen for your fuel pump to turn on when you turn your key from off to the run position. You should be able to hear it whine when you do that. Could be that your fuel pump decided to quit. Or... could be something else entirely. Hard to diagnose without more info.

Feel Really Dumb...but Happy!

Rick's note to check fuel pump for sound rang a bell in this old head! My truck has had a non-functioning gas gauge ever since I have had it and I couldn't justify $300 buck to fix it...so I guesstimate...usually get 250-300 mpg? Well, not this time...240 and must have had a lot of ideling time and that was it...I was thinking timing belt, cracked head, you name it...ready to part it out! So, thanks Rick...filled it up with fuel, plus the tranny refilled andradiator refilled and even topped off AC...and old girl is purring...even drove my trailer into work this morning to store it at marina without a slip, clunk or puff of smoke? Maybe she was just having a hissy after towing the full boat. I have unloaded a few hundred pounds of tools and "stuff" from truck and will do same with boat when I need to pull it out of water this winter...or may just use somebody ele's truck for that. But thanks for all the help and thanks for Rick to check the fuel "stupid"!

Cranky Trany Happy Now

Well, guess I learned a few lessons...again? My 93 Explorer Limited is running like a top again, thanks to filling all the fluids and not trying to haul a heavy boat and trailer up a steep grade in super hot weather. Funny though, coolant was very low and so was transmission fluid. I topped both off...trying not to overfill the tranny and now it runs cool and no slipping or banging into gear. I am pretty sure that it will not handle anything over about 4K LBs...but was hoping? I plan to have it serviced and tranny looked at and new filter and fluid at proper levels in hopes it will continue to serve me well around the homestead...at least its paid for. However, I am in the market for a newer truck/SUV to pull about an 8K load or more...any thoughts? Was looking at 1500 Suburban but not in good shape and rated at 6K...maybe Expidition or F-150? Thanks for feed back. :cool:

Back