How to: Remove EGR valve on early V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Remove EGR valve on early V8

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
After many frustrations with removing the EGR valve on my 96 V8, mainly involving the lower bolt on the valve, I decided to share some of my experiences. This is a problem with the EGR system on earlier model V8s that have an internal EGR system (no EGR tube, no DPFE). The main problem is the bolt on the bottom of the valve, in which you have almost no room left, right, top, or bottom.

1. First, disconnect the electrical connection and vacuum line from the EGR valve

2. Remove the top nut that holds the EGR to the intake elbow (9/16")

2. Then you must gain some clearance for the bottom bolt. First, pull out the tranny fluid dipstick. Then, disconnect the small coolant line that connects to the intake elbow:

egr1.jpg

You will get some drips of coolant from the line. Tuck it out of the way.

3. There are many vacuum lines in this area...tuck them out of the way as best you can to gain clearance to the left side of the EGR.

4. To get to the lower bolt, you have a few options tool wise. You can cut down a 1/2" wrench or buy a stubby 1/2" ratcheting wrench. I chose to use this as an excuse to buy a set of ratcheting stubby wrenches :D A ratcheting wrench will make things MUCH easier.

egr2.jpg

5. Use the stubby wrench to get to the lower bolt (1/2"). Clearance is still tight but you should be able to get it on.

egr3.jpg

6. Once the old EGR is out, transfer the position sensor over to the new EGR (3 11/32" bolts)

7. Reinstall EGR, replace coolant line and tranny dipstick, reconnect vacuum line and electrical connection to EGR.

8. Done.

Thanks for the pics and nice write up! I was wondering how I was going to get to that bottom bolt. Ive got a 97 V8 (10/96 build) with the same setup.

I'm showing P0401 and P0402 (excessive and insufficient flow). Found a cracked/crumbling vacuum hose from regulator to EGR valve which I replaced today. When I manually applied vacuum to my EGR valve the engine doesn't stumble at all and it holds the vacuum. I'm guessing its clogged up, but seems odd to have both excessive and insufficient flow codes. Guess I need to get a new gasket and see if I can clean the EGR valve. I assume the EGR position sensor couldn't freeze up and hold the EGR valve diaphragm in place?

Thanks for the pics and nice write up! I was wondering how I was going to get to that bottom bolt. Ive got a 97 V8 (10/96 build) with the same setup.

I'm showing P0401 and P0402 (excessive and insufficient flow). Found a cracked/crumbling vacuum hose from regulator to EGR valve which I replaced today. When I manually applied vacuum to my EGR valve the engine doesn't stumble at all and it holds the vacuum. I'm guessing its clogged up, but seems odd to have both excessive and insufficient flow codes. Guess I need to get a new gasket and see if I can clean the EGR valve. I assume the EGR position sensor couldn't freeze up and hold the EGR valve diaphragm in place?

It could be the position sensor...take it off and make sure it moves freely. Even if it moves freely, it could still be bad (mine was). It's a $20 part so you may consider replacing it before the EGR.

Hi all, this is my first post although I have been a member for over a year. I started getting an occasional CEL a few months ago but at first it wouldn't stay on. Once it came on and stayed on, we came up with a P0401: insufficient Exhaust Gas Flow. I found my way to this thread and was prepared to remove the EGR, EPS, and Vacuum controller if needed. Well, a quick inspection revealed a cracked vacuum line between the Vacuum controller and the EGR. $4 and a few inches of new vacuum line. Problem solved. Thanks very much for the great pictures and links. The Explorer Forum has saved me $$$ over the last year. Dom.

Back