• Register Today It's free!

iPhone 4S and MFT WORKS great!

RLWSNOOK

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
So I have been playing around with my new iPhone 4S and everything I've tried has worked out well.

You can ask it questions and it comes through via the speakers, you can send emails and texts via voice commands and you can have your text messages read to you (and then send replies if you want all via voice commands).

Here is a sample of some of this with the MFT system. Really I think siri is better than what they have for other phones, hopefully ford will give us a siri button on our display.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my 4s last Friday, works great! I have not tried all you have though, great video thanks for posting this!!!

I still have the 3gs. I was hoping for a complete redesign as iPhone 5 but obviously it ended up the 4s. I'm torn as to waiting until next year or going ahead with the 4s. If voice commands work that well, I will be getting the 4s.

I still have the 3gs. I was hoping for a complete redesign as iPhone 5 but obviously it ended up the 4s. I'm torn as to waiting until next year or going ahead with the 4s. If voice commands work that well, I will be getting the 4s.

Go try it out at an apple store or your local phone shop, siri doesn't work perfectly but what I showed you works pretty well.

If you want to be able to send emails and text messages from your car over the speaker system (and have an iPhone) I'd get it.

My 3G-s is working flawlessly.

When you use Siri, does it count towards your internet usage in whatever data package you have?

I had the 2G then skipped 3 and went 3gs...
and skipped the 4 and got the 4S.
I'm not concerned about the 5 because i'll get the 5S :)

if you have/had the 3gs and look back... you missed the 3G excitement,
but after living with the 3GS, could you imagine being stuck with the slower 3G until 4?

the 4S and Siri works very well imo.

actually it works PERFECTLY with MFT... because it basically avoids MFT altogether and you're just using the cars speakers, lol.

All you really need is a nice phone mount where it's easily accessable to press the home button to activate siri to...

call or send emails by speaking it or having it read your emails or texts
or use google maps to find anything POI or to find anything on the web.

If I want turn by turn, I use my navigon app and through bluetooth will give me the turn by turn.

and it does it faster and more naturally then ford will be able to do it with MFT now or in future iterations I will bet.

Unless your in Canada where SIRI doesn't work with anything location based because they haven't added those features yet.

Once again Canadians get reduced functionality.

For those getting the 4s remember even though its marketed as a "4G" smartphone there is no 4G modem (internal radio hardware) inside so it doesn't work on 4G networks like LTE (Long Term Evolution). Its still a 3.5G phone.

LTE is overrated... for now.

with my 3gs i would get about 2mb on average.
with my 4s... i've been getting 3-3.5 average in my area.

i also have a verizon LTE MIFI and when testing next to the 4s in same locations, i've average... 2mb.

i have been on road trips where i can get 6-7mb on my LTE when you are in an area with LTE support... but i still find them few and far between.

I expect HSPA+14 to be the same as LTE for now... spotty and dependent on location. but the average i'm getting is looking good for me.

In two years when I am ready for my 5S... I expect LTE to be better.

Unless your in Canada where SIRI doesn't work with anything location based because they haven't added those features yet.

Once again Canadians get reduced functionality.

For those getting the 4s remember even though its marketed as a "4G" smartphone there is no 4G modem (internal radio hardware) inside so it doesn't work on 4G networks like LTE (Long Term Evolution). Its still a 3.5G phone.

I wish I could say the same. My USB audio (when plugged in) works sometimes, but maddeningly doesn't other times. My bluetooth stereo shows up on the MFT screen and as "detected" in the small screen to the right of the speedo, but only plays half the time. This morning neither would work. I went from a staunch advocate of the system which worked pretty flawlessly for me the first 2-3 months, to a frustrated critic who just wants the system to work reliably.

I don't think the 4S or the new iOS is any different than before and just wanted to give fair warning to those that have had problems that upgrading to the 4S may not solve your problems.

I wish I could say the same. My USB audio (when plugged in) works sometimes, but maddeningly doesn't other times. My bluetooth stereo shows up on the MFT screen and as "detected" in the small screen to the right of the speedo, but only plays half the time. This morning neither would work. I went from a staunch advocate of the system which worked pretty flawlessly for me the first 2-3 months, to a frustrated critic who just wants the system to work reliably.

I don't think the 4S or the new iOS is any different than before and just wanted to give fair warning to those that have had problems that upgrading to the 4S may not solve your problems.

I should note I don't use my iPhone 4S for audio. But sounds like there is something wrong with your system and I'd have your service department check that out.

I simply think the iPhone 4s is great for the text messages and email (pretty much what I showed in the video).

In case Rebecca or Cory are reading this thread...

Feature request for 'Voice' button on the steering wheel:

Tap voice button for normal operation
Hold voice button for 3 seconds to activate cell phone voice control

This feature would be valid for many cell phones, as many have voice control functionality that is operated by the button on bluetooth headsets. It's even more useful for Siri, as I'm using her more than I'm using the actual car's voice control lately.

It is NOT marketed as a 4G smartphone, it's not even a 3.5G phone, nor is it touted as one. Apple specifically states it's 3G. The only mention of 4G in the marketing is that with the dual antenna chip, the phone is capable of theoretical speeds close to 4G LTE (on GSM networks only).

I should note I don't use my iPhone 4S for audio. But sounds like there is something wrong with your system and I'd have your service department check that out.

I simply think the iPhone 4s is great for the text messages and email (pretty much what I showed in the video).

Unfortunately, it is not just my system (I wish it were, then I could just get it fixed and move on). This is just one of the bugs that still has to be fixed hopefully in the next "left of the decimal point" software release.

I agree, the few times I used Siri, I was surprised it cut in to car audio right away. I have not found Siri as useful as some (speech recognition still has issues) but it is better than Ford's built in system and is really good for a first effort (well second anyway, I got the Siri app for my iPhone 3GS before Apple bought Siri). I am wondering about Apple's announcement that they are working on car integration and Siri. I wish we could get more details because of they integrate it with Ford Sync/MFT (which I kindof doubt), I would be really happy.

It is NOT marketed as a 4G smartphone, it's not even a 3.5G phone, nor is it touted as one. Apple specifically states it's 3G. The only mention of 4G in the marketing is that with the dual antenna chip, the phone is capable of theoretical speeds close to 4G LTE (on GSM networks only).

It is in Canada by Rogers, Bell and Telus

in case rebecca or cory are reading this thread...

Feature request for 'voice' button on the steering wheel:

Tap voice button for normal operation
hold voice button for 3 seconds to activate cell phone voice control

this feature would be valid for many cell phones, as many have voice control functionality that is operated by the button on bluetooth headsets. It's even more useful for siri, as i'm using her more than i'm using the actual car's voice control lately.

+1

I cant wait for my 4s. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and it still hasnt shipped yet :(

AT&Ts web site shows/markets it is a 4G device.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So whats the final verdict from those who are now using an iPhone 4s with iOS5........does MFT text to speech work now or not?

MAP protocol is alive or dead still?

Back