performance of HID plug and play kits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

performance of HID plug and play kits

russell bruesch

Reaction score
City, State
new buffalo michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 limited explorer
Those who have installed these kits in the 2011 EX, are you happy with the results ? Was there a dramatic improvement over the stock halogens ? Would you do it again. Have you had any problems blinding other oncoming traffic ?

So many negatives written about how these retrofit kits are unsafe and do not offer any substantial improvement to light output unless they are factory installed in the correctly designed projector housings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i haven't gotten a HID kit YET for the explorer, but i will. i've done it on previous vehicles and never had an issue. and yes, it IS a substantial improvement over factory halogen bulbs. a projector housing is the best housing for HIDs...the issues are with reflective housings that are made for halogen bulbs. those housings are not made for HIDs, thus causing the "blinding oncoming traffic effect".

and i don't know what negatives you read about. but adding a "plug and play" kit to existing projector housings is not "retro fit"....."retro fitting" is taking apart a reflective housing and installing a projector into that housing.....just install your plug n play and enjoy it.

So many negatives written about how these retrofit kits.....

Careful with your terminology. In the HID game, "retrofit" implies not just the HID ballast, bulbs and possibly a wiring harness, but also opening up your headlight assembly and installing a proper projector.

Go to hidplanet.com to learn all their is to know on the subject.

I just did a retrofit on my '99. The results were worth the effort.

I installed VLED 35w 6k 9005 PnP kit and I think they are better than stock but not as bright as I hoped. Maybe I'm used to my Lexus 350is...?
Would I do it again, yes. But I would try a different brand and "hope" it would also have a slightly better beam pattern (it's a little splochty).
But then again it may not be brand related, who knows...

I wonder if anyone has done 55w yet...?

Click here for a great HID kit option if you're not trying to just go for cheap (like too many people do).

High quality ballasts (many claim they're better than OEM), wiring and bulbs for a lot less than HID kits cost in the "old days" and great support to boot. I got their components as part of a retrofit kit recently and they did not disappoint.

55 watt kits throw more light, but also more heat. Some projectors actually get damaged by 55 watt kits so make sure you do your homework before. The vendor above does carry 55 watt kits too. Also keep in mind that color may "shift" when you use 55 watt kits so a 6000K bulb in a 55 watt kit won't look the same as a 35 watt kit at the same bulb rating.

Click here for a great HID kit option if you're not trying to just go for cheap (like too many people do).

High quality ballasts (many claim they're better than OEM), wiring and bulbs for a lot less than HID kits cost in the "old days" and great support to boot. I got their components as part of a retrofit kit recently and they did not disappoint.

55 watt kits throw more light, but also more heat. Some projectors actually get damaged by 55 watt kits so make sure you do your homework before. The vendor above does carry 55 watt kits too. Also keep in mind that color may "shift" when you use 55 watt kits so a 6000K bulb in a 55 watt kit won't look the same as a 35 watt kit at the same bulb rating.

I'll just add that I have bought projectors from The Retrofit Source, and they are a top notch company. I highly recommend them.

I'll just add that I have bought projectors from The Retrofit Source, and they are a top notch company. I highly recommend them.

Me too. On all fronts. :thumbsup:

Im looking at the Retrofit Source kits. The one I want so it looks factory is, the "9005 kit" and get the 4300K and the Canbus setup instead of the relays correct?

Thanks!

Back