Idea For... Roof Rack/Homemade Roof Basket | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idea For... Roof Rack/Homemade Roof Basket

Looks Good.

Looks good Brian. I cant wait to see what it looks like when you get it on the truck. Post some pictures. Good job.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I must say I thought it would look cheesy but that really looks nice you've got me thinking about cutting sides on the lathe or my old work has a huge laser cutter..

now that looks awesome! is it going to sit ontop of your crossbars or are you going to somehow sink it in between the outer roof rack rails? i like the added touch of the wooden style front facing lights :thumbsup:

Brian that looks really good! cant wait to see it mounted!

I'm 23 and will be bald by the time I get these lights wired up.... :banghead:

d299ecea.jpg

Got it installed today =] It looks really tall in the photos but it doesn't seem like it in person...

6828bc1a.jpg

58ff0e07.jpg

d4e8a424.jpg

My two 100w reverse lights:

4ad91dc8.jpg

46c4d367.jpg

All the wiring is 100% waterproof. Not to mention really clean looking. =]
42006bc2.jpg

3c28f768.jpg

147961c3.jpg

I've got waterproof quick disconnects just inside my rear hatch just in case I want to take it off. I did have to adjust my rear hatch a little bit to fit the black tube of wires in comfortably. Now I have to FIRMLY close my rear hatch or it doesn't close all the way; but my rear panel cracked again last week so oh well....

d50cc9f2.jpg

I used the sliding mounts for the stock crossbars an just replaced all the screws with stainless steel bolts.

5f1bff09.jpg

72615331.jpg

I don't have time to get power to it until next weekend, but I'll post more pictures when I do.

What do you guys think???

that thing is f**kin awesome brian, nice work! :thumbsup:

I would love that rack on my truck!

awesome build!

would go great with my center console and rear view mirror.

DSCN1739.jpg

DSCN1888.jpg

Very nice. Any idea what that weighs?

muzzymaniac said:
Very nice. Any idea what that weighs?

It's really not heavy at all. I would say no more than 35-40lbs. My 2 year old daughter can pull it across my living room floor....

It's beautiful! Almost makes me want to cry!
Not really, but almost. That thing looks great!

I also see a Farmboy Fabrication decal on your truck.

you know Jesse?

I also see a Farmboy Fabrication decal on your truck.

you know Jesse?

You mean the "F" on my back hatch? It's a 'Famous Stars and Straps' "F". I have NO idea who Jesse is but I DO know Travis Barker, the founder of Famous SAS...

Ok at first I was thinking hmm, um, yeah.:confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

But now that I see it , well, I have to say that looks pretty dog gone cool up there.:thumbsup:

I hope you can keep it sealed well, Teak might have been a better choice but cedar should hold up well also. It has a decay rate of 1/8" per 20 years or so. Sealing it well often should delay that.

Turdle said:
Ok at first I was thinking hmm, um, yeah.:confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

But now that I see it , well, I have to say that looks pretty dog gone cool up there.:thumbsup:

I hope you can keep it sealed well, Teak might have been a better choice but cedar should hold up well also. It has a decay rate of 1/8" per 20 years or so. Sealing it well often should delay that.

Teak would have been fantastic, actually I work with it quite often.. The only problem with teak is that pieces of wood in the sizes I needed to work with would have cost a fortune. So cedar is what it is. I used polyurethane instead of Thompson's Waterseal, so it should take a beating a little better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would love to have one of them on the top of my truck!

but here in PA it would more likely wear faster with the seasonal weather we get.

I love the look though!

Back