fog lights don't work with HIDs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fog lights don't work with HIDs?

I just bought some HIDs for my 01 sport. However, when I turn the headlights on my fog lights turn off. The light in the car signaling that the fog lights are on even turns off even though the button is depressed. The fog lights work fine with just the running lights on. Anyone else have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lets start with something simple.

Are your high beams on? The fogs turn off with the high beams.

Lets start with something simple.

Are your high beams on? The fogs turn off with the high beams.

I replaced them with a single low beam bulb so I don't have high beams anymore. If I turn the Highbeams on nothing happens.

with that said I think the HID kit is somehow either gronding out the fog lights or sending a signal to the foglights to turn off because it thinks the highs are on.

edit: I bought a dual beam kit but it doesn't look like I have high beams. maybe they are always on?

Is your MFS in the high beam position is what hes asking? Regardless of whether or not your kit is bi-xenon.

I replaced them with a single low beam bulb so I don't have high beams anymore. If I turn the Highbeams on nothing happens.

with that said I think the HID kit is somehow either gronding out the fog lights or sending a signal to the foglights to turn off because it thinks the highs are on.

edit: I bought a dual beam kit but it doesn't look like I have high beams. maybe they are always on?

Your headlights dont send a signal to the fogs to turn off. Its done in the multi function switch. The MFS doesnt even care if there are bulbs attached.

Its sounds like your not wired right. possibly grounding the low beam through the high beam wiring instead of the ground wire.

Its your MFS in the high beam position is what hes asking? Regardless of whether or not your kit is bi-xenon.

Exactly what I was getting at.

Your headlights dont send a signal to the fogs to turn off. Its done in the multi function switch. The MFS doesnt even care if there are bulbs attached.

Its sounds like your not wired right. possibly grounding the low beam through the high beam wiring instead of the ground wire.

Exactly what I was getting at.

the MFS switch isn't on. However the highbeam light is always on when I plut on the lowbeams. When I switch the MFS to have the highbeams on highbeam indicator on the dash gets a little brighter. So I assume it is an issue that you are talking about.

However there weren't any wires to wire. I bought the kit from a reputable dealer and paid a good amount for it. It was direct plug and play. Only one set of wires connects to one of the factory harnesses. and it is just a plug that connects them.

But i did figure out that when I disconnect the HID harness and turn the lowbeams on, the foglights come on. I obviously don't have working headlights then. But it shows that the connection from the factory harness to the HIDs is what is causing the problem.

it sounds to me like your HID harness is getting the signal to power on from the high beam pin of the 9007 connector (if that makes sense) which would cause your high beam indicator to stay on...usually you have to re-pin those HID kits for 9007 since most of them come pre-pinned for 9004, which will cause issues with high/low functionality on a 9007 car...although I'm not sure if that would happen with a single xenon kit...just my 2 cents

it sounds to me like your HID harness is getting the signal to power on from the high beam pin of the 9007 connector (if that makes sense) which would cause your high beam indicator to stay on...usually you have to re-pin those HID kits for 9007 since most of them come pre-pinned for 9004, which will cause issues with high/low functionality on a 9007 car...although I'm not sure if that would happen with a single xenon kit...just my 2 cents

^ This ^

Re-pin it and it will work fine.

Its using the high beam wiring as the ground for the low beam and back feeding power into the MFS. That is causing the high beam wiring to have power and shutting off the fog lights (and turning on the high beam indicator). Swap the high beam and ground wires in the connector and everything will be fine.

For whatever reason, your truck "thinks" that your high beams are on when the HIDs are plugged in. You would think that you could simply do the "fog light mod" so that your fogs work with high beams.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60518&highlight=fog+light+mod

both of your responses sound like they would fix the problem. Although I would find it difficult to do the mod that is under the airbox without any pictures.

so I am going to try to mess with the pins on the harness. maybe cut and splice some wires. I believe that would fix the problem and is the logical reason for what is happening.

both of your responses sound like they would fix the problem. Although I would find it difficult to do the mod that is under the airbox without any pictures.

so I am going to try to mess with the pins on the harness. maybe cut and splice some wires. I believe that would fix the problem and is the logical reason for what is happening.

Dont cut and splice the wires. Take the connector apart and swap the pins. Its takes the same amount of time, looks cleaner, and does introduce anymore connections that can have problems down the road.

Dont cut and splice the wires. Take the connector apart and swap the pins. Its takes the same amount of time, looks cleaner, and does introduce anymore connections that can have problems down the road.

yes, you don't need to touch anything on the truck itself, it's the connector on the HID harness that you'll be repinning

^ This ^

Re-pin it and it will work fine.

Its using the high beam wiring as the ground for the low beam and back feeding power into the MFS. That is causing the high beam wiring to have power and shutting off the fog lights (and turning on the high beam indicator). Swap the high beam and ground wires in the connector and everything will be fine.

you are a god. I didn't know how to repin it so I just cut and used a soldering iron on the wires. Works great now. Thanks for the help everyone!!!

3f240ce2.jpg

44779509.jpg

repinning it is a huge pain in the ass lol glad you were able to make it work :D

For future knowledge.

What if you're having this same issue with a bi xenon kit? I have a 99 xlt and am having the same issue. My bi xenon harness has individual grounds for each ballast. Not sure if that makes a difference. Also my hi beam indicator doesn't come on unless the MFS is in high beam position. Is this the same issue?

Back