PA70023 Failed install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PA70023 Failed install

Bushings came in today, i'll post up some pics later on. Kit came with 24 bushings total, uppers and lowers. Will keep everyone posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bushings came in today, i'll post up some pics later on. Kit came with 24 bushings total, uppers and lowers. Will keep everyone posted.

I'm definitely interested in seeing how the bushing work for you. I'm planning on doing the same thing you are and putting the lift kit on my truck too. I've been going back and forth on whether to try the Daystar kit or get the Ford bushings. If you can do a lot a pics that would be of great help too! :D

Couldn't take any pics tonight by the truck because its raining out but i did take pics of the bushings themselves.

Here's the kit lay out
IMG-20111129-00135.jpg

As in the instructions, here's what they recommend front to back.
front1.jpg

Very front of the truck

front2.jpg

Behind front wheel wells

middleandveryback.jpg

These are the ones used beneath the seats about the middle of the truck and also used in the very back as in the instructions.

IMG-20111129-00138.jpg

These ones would be used underneath the storage compartments as in the instructions.

Not sure what the little tiny ones are used for yet. Also i'm not saying all this will work in the places the instructions states, however i believe the majority of them can work. They may even have to be "rigged up" so to speak with the possibility of using longer bolts. I'll get some pics next to the stock bushings on the truck itself. Also this kit may lift it just a little bit more if you were able to use these bushings where the instructions want you to use them. Example would be the uppers beneath the seats look too tall with the 4 ring bushing, the 3 ring would fit better there. I'm just saying you may have to move uppers to lowers, fronts to backs etc etc. I'll know more later as i try to finagle this kit.

Pics next to truck
IMG-20111201-00148.jpg

IMG-20111201-00149.jpg

IMG-20111201-00150.jpg

IMG-20111201-00151.jpg

IMG-20111201-00152.jpg

IMG-20111201-00153.jpg

IMG-20111201-00154.jpg

Also found out only need 16 of the 24 bushings so i'll be making this kit work for sure. Going at it again today

Finished the body lift but still in the process of putting it back together. I used air tools on every single cab to frame mounting bolt. Had to use heat at times but they didnt give me much trouble this time around.

Did you replace the body mount bushings with the daystar ones? How did that go?

Thanks for posting this. I too am about to tackle this project on an 02 Explorer sport. I bought the same kit from Daystar. Please keep us updated as to yoru progress.

Did you replace the body mount bushings with the daystar ones? How did that go?

I only ended up using one, i'll take pictures. I know they'll work though for the rest of the truck. The only reason i didnt replace them all while i was doing the body lift was because i could not break the metal sleeves apart, they were seized together. I was running short on daylight hours and it took me 2 days to complete. But yes that kit will work and you'll even have extra bushings left over but good luck breaking those sleeves apart. Wish i took more pics while doing it.

Thanks for posting this. I too am about to tackle this project on an 02 Explorer sport. I bought the same kit from Daystar. Please keep us updated as to yoru progress.

They will work you just can't use the directions they say like the order from front to back. Use your best judgement and match up the bushings with the ones that look like your trucks bushings.

When you were trying to break the sleeves apart did you use the method Ive seen other places around here, where you undo the bolt, then thread it back in a little ways and hit it with a hammer? Getting these sleeves apart is the one thing ive seen most people have trouble with. Im thinking about just bying some replacement bolts and dock washers just to have on hand in case i need to cut one of these sleeves out.

The one i did get undone i hit with a hammer a couple times and they came apart. But the other tough thing is trying to get the bushings off the sleeves.

The one i did get undone i hit with a hammer a couple times and they came apart. But the other tough thing is trying to get the bushings off the sleeves.

So the old sleeves must be used with the Daystar kit?

Yup must re-use old sleeves

So finally got the bumper back on but not really liking it all that much. Ended up cutting the wrong squares out of the metal bumper, were supposed to be cut on the inside and we accidently cut them on the outside so it doesn't bolt back up right. Thinking about really cutting this thing up but keeping the grille and looking for a front brushguard.

Where did you buy the kit from? I just found out while swapping out shocks that my bushings are rotting out under the outside layer.

How much?

Since these are specific to the 1st Gen ST do they come with new sleeves or do you have to re-use the old ones?

Thanks man, I can always count on you or Steve M to have the info I'm looking for.

I'll be ordering a set and installing them before winter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wish they sold them separately. Seems it's almost always the "A" and "B"
pillar mounts that fail. The four in the center use micro cellular foam that
seem to deteriorate first. Not looking forward to this when the time comes. GL

Back