• Register Today It's free!

P0401 code

pdl2mtl90

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
My wife's 2005 Explorer with 4.0 V-6 has 0401 code. None of the parts stores show a DFPE sensor for a 2005. I replaced the same part on my Taurus but can't find the sensor for the Explorer. Does the 05 V-6 not have the DFE sensor? I can't seem to find it under the hood either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the same code. have to replace the whole egr valve. but before you do that try cleaning the egr valve and check hoses for cracks or leaks

Will do, thanks for the heads up. Wonder why Ford changed that. Seems like more work/more money!

That code is usually a clogged egr, or TB passage.. I'd def go there first: cause a can of TB cleaner is cheaper than a part.

what exactly is a tb passage, because i didnt clean that. i was gonna change my egr valve this weekend but like you said, a can of cleaner is cheaper. thanks

:rangerred:
what exactly is a tb passage, because i didnt clean that. i was gonna change my egr valve this weekend but like you said, a can of cleaner is cheaper. thanks

basically you need to take the throttle body off and ensure it is 100% clean... Took me twice w mine cause the dpfe passage was completely blocked and I missed it... Took two cans, and a gun cleaning brush to get out. Of course assuming u have same prob I did...

I took the EGR off and cleaned it really good with B12 spray. No luck. Will try to clean the TB this weekend to see if that gets rid of the code.

Thanks for the update

I threw that code about 2 months ago and it was the EGR supposedly, But I replaces the mass airflow sensor on the cat and the check engine light has been off since!

Have cleaned the EGR/TB twice with no success. Guess I will order a new one from RockAuto this morning. Gas mileage has dropped well into the 15 mpg range the last 2 weeks. Thanks for all of the help.

Back