Origional 40 series flowmaster muffler and a glasspack on a 97 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Origional 40 series flowmaster muffler and a glasspack on a 97 XLT?

TyHarris

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
move me if im in the wrong spot but i was thinkin i like the deeper tones i get from flowmaster 40s but i also like to dirty inconsistency i get from a cherrybomb glasspack... what if i put them both on? anybody see any issues that might arise? should give me the back-pressure that the 4.0 likes but also give me the aggressive sound i like.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im thinkin about weldin the cherry bomb strait to the back of the muffler. should give it a unique aggresive sound. should i put it in the front of it?

changed my mind. did some pressure tests and ima cut the pipe 21" in front of my muffler, weld on a 18" cherry bomb, then weld on a flow OG 40 then weld on the rest of my pipe back to original position cutting off the exes from the turn down. that means the loud throatiness of the cherry bomb will push into the flow OG 40 muffler the highs will get dampened and the lows will get amplified then when it shoots out the tailpipe it should be a loud low growl from a 4.0.

Any thoughts on that setup? i think itll sound great! What do yall think?

In my opinion, I would have gone with either or. If you don't even after the muffler, it would just really ruin the sound and it would just be a waist of money.

I had a dakota several years ago that had a clogged cat. I put a glasspack in its place, with a 1 into 2 flowmaster and dual tips. It sounded pretty good for a 6 cylinder. Let's hear a sound clip!

I had a dakota several years ago that had a clogged cat. I put a glasspack in its place, with a 1 into 2 flowmaster and dual tips. It sounded pretty good for a 6 cylinder. Let's hear a sound clip!

as soon as i get it all put together ill put up a clip. i just spent my truck money i give myself for the month on new lift shackles. but after its lifted ill be putn some clips of my new exhaust setup

In my opinion, I would have gone with either or. If you don't even after the muffler, it would just really ruin the sound and it would just be a waist of money.

we will see after its done. i have done a lot of homework and tests with it and i think itll be cool. if it aint, i can always fix it.

found a guy out in Angier, NC to do my custom weldin for cheap. now i just gotta get the parts. anybody know the cheapest place to buy a cherry bomb glass pack and a flowmaster origional 40 series muffler?

I think the glasspack will reduce, or remove drone only. I have seen people use them in place of a resonator.

If you want deeper tones, experiment with larger diameter exhaust tips.

I think the glasspack will reduce, or remove drone only. I have seen people use them in place of a resonator.

If you want deeper tones, experiment with larger diameter exhaust tips.

see post #3

Ty, here's a thread that might be of interest.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192528
All of my posts are on the last page and one of the posts has a link to my photobucket it you want to look at the pictures. These are a glasspack design. They are loud as hell, but I gotta get some exhaust tips on it to make it louder and deeper. Sounds just badass idling and when I give er it turns heads cause it sounds just awesome from inside the vehicle. I still gotta get a video up

awsome. thanks man. if i had the time and money id like to do something like that. unfortunately, i have niether. but i own a handyman company so i do have a physics simulator (thanks john for doin the tech stuff) i mocked up a model of what im building and ran it through a wond tunnel sim it looks perfect. i wish there was a way to post it here but john said it is a "closed program" cause it uses it's own code to run the sims. but the air flow looks spectacular. gets all choppy in the glass pack maken tiny tornadoes then evens out into smooth waves in the muffler. now i gotta do it, and if its not the way i wnt it, i can always change it.

i have a single cherry bomb i y piped off the cats im working on cuting it and putting a seperate one and making em dual pipes

awsome. thanks man. if i had the time and money id like to do something like that. unfortunately, i have niether.

I was lucky enough to get that exhaust given to me for free! Only thing that cost money was the adapters. I think I was only in it 50 bucks! The time though, holy hell. I think i spent 16 hours on it. No rest for the wicked!

i hear ya man. my rig is the absolute epitome of Murphy's law. i have to set aside a whole day just to do basic maintnance cause i know ill always find more wrong.

Are you sure?! I think Murphys law was created thanks to my explorer. I can't keep up to all the stuff that's wrong with mine! Especially my useless engine that needs to be replaced... thanks to ford being idiots and not making timing chain components that can handle my lead foot

new engine with atomantium timing chain. problem solved. chalk one up for Mr. Harris.

NO ENGINE LIKES BACKPRESSURE!!! I wish people would stop saying that and try and understand what is actually going on. The problem is, sometimes people go too large of diameter pipe which causes turbulence in the exhaust system because the escaping gasses expand and don't have to all travel in the same direction. This creates MORE backpressure than in properly sized pipe. You also lose the scavenging effect you get from properly sized pipe.

so if my engine doesn't like any back pressure at all, i could just say screw it all and pull off everything from the headers all the way back to the tail pipe? i don't know, last time i had a 4.0 V6 overhead cam on the dyno i had to bolt on dyno pipes cause it kept stalling out. dyno pipes? wait... ain't those meant to create back pressure so the engine wont stall out while it doesn't have an exhaust system attached? im pretty sure they are. but hell, what do i know, im just a dumb old redneck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently, since I can run those engines open headers without them stalling and dying. But what do I know, I'm just a dumb old mechanic with years of experience. The only engine that needs backpressure to run correctly is a 2 stroke. Those pipes are attached so you don't asphyxiate and die while you are running an internal combustion engine indoors, and to simulate exhaust for better tuning, specifically the effects of.... scavenging.

Why don't you just search on the internet for a little while for "backpressure engine" and see what you come up with. Better still, why don't you ask one of those dyno guys how much backpressure your engine needs.

By the way, pulling all that stuff off leads to scorched valves and would not give you any scavenging effect.

Back