• Register Today It's free!

Will I regret this?

jw2013explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Indy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I have a 2013 Ex XLT on order. After reading all the trouble people have been having, I have to admit I'm getting a little worried. We test drove a 2011 Ex before ordering ours and it had the same pillar issues and oil smell in a 5 minute test drive which I didn't pick up on until after I read those issues here. Are all the signs there? Is the writing on the wall? I guess I'm hoping Ford has solved all these issues with the 2013 MY. I really love the looks of this vehicle but if it doesn't work it does work. I can't help but wonder, will I regret this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 Ex XLT on order. After reading all the trouble people have been having, I have to admit I'm getting a little worried. We test drove a 2011 Ex before ordering ours and it had the same pillar issues and oil smell in a 5 minute test drive which I didn't pick up on until after I read those issues here. Are all the signs there? Is the writing on the wall? I guess I'm hoping Ford has solved all these issues with the 2013 MY. I really love the looks of this vehicle but if it doesn't work it does work. I can't help but wonder, will I regret this?

Nope, you won't regret it. Even with the issues I've had, I still love driving our Explorer.

Not at all! My wife and I ordered a 2012 EX Limited in Nov, with a build date of 12/1, and we haven't had nearly the problems you see reported here. The only minor issues I've seen are the auto-sensing wipers going off on clear days and occasional Bluetooth audio issues w/ my Droid X. Aside from that, everything is great!

As with most product message boards / reviews, it's the individuals with issues that are the most vocal (as they should), so know that there's likely a larger population of "I Love My Ex" owners than the ones you see posting here.

I think you'll be extremely pleased with the 2013 MY!

One positive note, is that with all the issues people on these boards are finding, they are finding very few with the engine and the transmission.

I have a 2011 Limited (Feb. 2011 build) and the only problem I've had was the random windshiled wipe and that was addressed under the TSB. I'm sure you will enjoy the vehicle. I do.

Peter

Thanks for the replies so far. I currently have a '02 F150 Super Crew 4x4 and love it. Before that a '93 Ranger 4x4 loved it too. As you notice, I run my trucks for at least 9+ years. I'd like to do the same this time. I guess I'm just a little spooked.

Nope, get it. I love my explorer. I have the base model, however, i have had zero issues so far. I am not as picky as most and love my explorer

If you are getting MFT and nav, I would say wait (you still have time) until reports come in on the big new update which you will get with your MY2013 car (especially since there are some early reports that the same bugs may still exist). There have been a lot of problems with MFT as evidenced by the professional reviews in automotive, consumer reports and technology publications and sites and by the precipitous drop in quality ratings for Ford after MFT's release. I have had a lot of problems with MFT but mostly associated with bluetooth streaming audio (which doesn't work more than 50% of the time), USB audio (which is so inconsistent and requires constant unplugging and replugging of the cord to the device as to be a real distraction) and nav (basically just print Google maps now instead of trying to rely on buggy nav). If you have an iPhone, be especially wary notwithstanding Ford's feature compatibility charts because many problems may be associated with MFT and iPhone (I have the 4S) compatibility issues.

Even if you are getting MFT, if you are just planning on using the radio, CD and hands free phone (and NOT bluetooth audio, USB audio or nav), MFT will most likely be trouble free for you.

The rest of the car has been more than fine (the burnt oil I smelled during acceleration when the car was new in May 2011 almost never happens anymore/ few panel gaps and mismatches but nothing I couldn't live with).

No regrets here!:thumbsup:
The only thing I do regret some days is not getting 4WD :D

If you are getting MFT and nav, I would say wait (you still have time) until reports come in on the big new update which you will get with your MY2013 car (especially since there are some early reports that the same bugs may still exist). There have been a lot of problems with MFT as evidenced by the professional reviews in automotive, consumer reports and technology publications and sites and by the precipitous drop in quality ratings for Ford after MFT's release. I have had a lot of problems with MFT but mostly associated with bluetooth streaming audio (which doesn't work more than 50% of the time), USB audio (which is so inconsistent and requires constant unplugging and replugging of the cord to the device as to be a real distraction) and nav (basically just print Google maps now instead of trying to rely on buggy nav). If you have an iPhone, be especially wary notwithstanding Ford's feature compatibility charts because many problems may be associated with MFT and iPhone (I have the 4S) compatibility issues.

Even if you are getting MFT, if you are just planning on using the radio, CD and hands free phone (and NOT bluetooth audio, USB audio or nav), MFT will most likely be trouble free for you.

The rest of the car has been more than fine (the burnt oil I smelled during acceleration when the car was new in May 2011 almost never happens anymore/ few panel gaps and mismatches but nothing I couldn't live with).

Thanks for the info. I've ordered mine with FWD, 202a pkg., Moonroof, and Power Liftgate. I currently have an iphone 3s.

Thanks for the info. I've ordered mine with FWD, 202a pkg., Moonroof, and Power Liftgate. I currently have an iphone 3s.

Get rid of the apple product. It's like kryptonite to the Micro Soft base MFT. It's not just Ford that has problems with the IPOD. Chev and other systems have problems with it. Apple plays well with other Apples. Try to get it to play with a ( Humor inject for all the bashing ford is taking) Lemon. Well it doesn't work so well.

I called Ford a lemon. Hehehehehe. It's not but some on here think so.

If you want an excellent phone that works extremely well with MFT. Go get a Motorola Atrix 4G. Not only does everything on MFT work with it. It's an awesome phone. I think there's an Atrix 2 on the market now. I can't speak to it's compatibility with MFT. I can for the Atrix 1 though. It rocks.

The phone combined with my two 8Gig thumbdrives gives me a total of 26 Gig.

I can also watch movies on my phone. I stream the audio through the truck speakers. Surround sound.

I suggest you only consider it after allowing the new MFT update to play out a bit. It needs a month in operation before you should take a chance on it. Also, is it available in the 6 cylinder eco boost? If not, don't get it. That's just my opinion. Other people are perfectly happy with the 6 cylinder. I think it's a little under powered.

I am not sure whose fault it is (Apple, Ford or Microsoft), but I can get the iPhone 4S to stream bluetooth fine with a $100 Jabra bluetooth car visor speakerphone and my friend has had good success with his BMW (even has apps or app/ grrrrrrr). However, it could just be that until we get into the 2d or 3d gen of these smart phone integrated car systems, we may just have to live with device compatibility issues.

If you like and are committed to the Explorer, I agree it is a lot cheaper to change phones (and the android platform is fine/ I have an android tablet and have felt no desire to get an iPad).

Let it do "EVERTHING"

2012-Limited 4wd,Cinn. Metallic-tow, works SUPER,drives GREAT,looks FABULOUS. Only problem with MFT(it's a computer) is when I "ask" it to do EVERYTHING at the "same" time. Nav-find poi's and set destination,USB indexing,phone pairing at start-up and calling by SYNC command,cooling seat engaged,setting rear controls fan and temp. What is going on,ooh nothing but the MFT working and syncing all request at the reasonable intervals and then engaging and returning to a "calm" condition. WE Want The World and WE Want It Now!!!!!:eek::D

...Apple plays well with other Apples.Try to get it to play with a ( Humor inject for all the bashing ford is taking) Lemon.

Now that's funnny! :D

All known major problems were fixed on all vehicles built after November of 2011, according to the TSB thread. This includes the A Pillar rattle, rain noise, oil smell, etc. The 2013's will have the new MFT pre-installed. You shouldn't have any worries.

I was in the same position as you not too long ago.

I accepted that I might need to get some TSB issues fixed... but when I finally went for it i overlooked the "misaligned tailgate problem".

After a few days of receiving my car I noticed that the spoiler and liftgate were grossly misaligned. I just can't believe how that can be overlooked by QC / final inspection at the factory.

I reported the issue to Ford and 2 weeks have passed with no resolution in sight.

Please inspect your car thoroughly and if you notice any issues get the dealership to fix before they hand you the keys.

Sorry for lack of advice but this is my first Ford and well my experience hasn't been good. If Ford reached out to their customers to resolve some of the common defects/issues then I would feel differently. But I guess they want to keep their reputation from non-Ford buyers, "its a Ford... what do you expect"

I started researching the X when they first announced it in late summer of 11. I was on deployment in Japan when the first deliveries started and problems were becoming evident. I had ordered one from military car sales without having even sat in one so I really started getting worried that I had made a mistake.
When I finally picked up my truck in Oct (fully loaded limited) I looked over everything that I knew there were problems with and knew the bugs of the MFT going in.
I can’t tell you I haven’t been completely frustrated with the Nav especially the voice interaction at times but overall I love the truck. It fits the whole family with room to spare, rides like a Cadillac, and gets decent gas millage.
If I had the option to not get some of the features such as the power third row and auto parking system I would have but they are bundled so you can’t do that. The power third row buttons are probably the worst designed part of the car besides the MFT software.
I don’t regret buying the Ford at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll love it, just took delivery of my 2013 LTD today and its great !!

Back