Got My Recall Notice for Cooling Fans.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got My Recall Notice for Cooling Fans..

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
I received a recall notice for the cooling fan issue recently, gonna have to book a half-day to have it checked out. I've driven 30k kms already and never noticed a problem. The notice talks about corrosion on the switches, given I drive in winter salted roads I think I'm a good candidate for the problem. I'm glad to get this checked out before I go on my summer road trip to the southern U.S. .

I always set my dash display to show the engine temp gauge. Is there any way to get the dash display to stay in one position after setting it instead of it changing every time I shut down the truck ?. Between that and having to select the radio selection on the other side of the dash each time I get into the car it gets to be a bit of an irritation. I wish it would just remember the last setting and leave it like that if it had some kind of memory feature.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is supposed to hold the memory settings when you shut it off but MFT issues are effecting that too.

I received a recall notice for the cooling fan issue recently, gonna have to book a half-day to have it checked out. I've driven 30k kms already and never noticed a problem. The notice talks about corrosion on the switches, given I drive in winter salted roads I think I'm a good candidate for the problem. I'm glad to get this checked out before I go on my summer road trip to the southern U.S. .

I always set my dash display to show the engine temp gauge. Is there any way to get the dash display to stay in one position after setting it instead of it changing every time I shut down the truck ?. Between that and having to select the radio selection on the other side of the dash each time I get into the car it gets to be a bit of an irritation. I wish it would just remember the last setting and leave it like that if it had some kind of memory feature.
If you have been following some of the other threads on cooling fan reprogram, you will see that you will likely have to reset your temperature and memory seat/mirrors settings as well after th 12B36 is done.
One thing I noticed now is that after I using Max A/C, the temperature settings revert to Lo and have to be reset. Didn't notice that before.

Sgt1411 is correct in that the setting you chose before shut down should be retained.

Peter

isn't there an option on the left side cluster that you have to put on? i think its memory- on/off. (I'm not in my car, sorry)

isn't there an option on the left side cluster that you have to put on? i think its memory- on/off. (I'm not in my car, sorry)
Settings/Vehicle/Menu Control: Standard or Memory On.

Not really sure if it controls last settings. I just looked it up in the manual. By the very definition, it seems to have to do with the Menu.
I believe when mine was on Standard, the vehicle still held the selected radio stations, etc.

Peter.

Settings/Vehicle/Menu Control: Standard or Memory On.

Not really sure if it controls last settings. I just looked it up in the manual. By the very definition, it seems to have to do with the Menu.
I believe when mine was on Standard, the vehicle still held the selected radio stations, etc.

Peter.

sorry, i misunderstood then. i didn't realize he meant radio stations, that def has nothing to do with radio. i thought he wanted the rpm/gas/temp gauge on the left side cluster to always stay on. i was reading a million posts to catch up and my eyes aren't seeing well right now.... lol

I thought this service bulletin was only for the early 2011's, but I just got the letter for my late 2012. So they're covering all model years?

Received mine also, ours is a second week 2012 build, weird

Got mine Florida.

Sounds like they are expanding the scope of this TSB/Recall/Whatever-the-heck-it-is.

Mine is 11/23/2012 build and I got it done. I must say - it changes things. The MFT is WAY more reliable and honestly, I've been afraid to say anything but...I swear the shift points and acceleration are better. It didn't used to 'feel' faster than my 02 4.0 ranger. I drove the p/u while the Ex was in the shop that day and when I got back in the Ex, I was actually surprised to 'feel' it perform better. Maybe I am crazy (as I've always suspected). Anyone esle notice something like this? I wish I had data to back it up but I am quite in tune to the vehicles I drive, but still all I got is my 'feelings' on the subject. Lol

Mine is 11/23/2012 build and I got it done. I must say - it changes things. The MFT is WAY more reliable and honestly, I've been afraid to say anything but...I swear the shift points and acceleration are better. It didn't used to 'feel' faster than my 02 4.0 ranger. I drove the p/u while the Ex was in the shop that day and when I got back in the Ex, I was actually surprised to 'feel' it perform better. Maybe I am crazy (as I've always suspected). Anyone esle notice something like this? I wish I had data to back it up but I am quite in tune to the vehicles I drive, but still all I got is my 'feelings' on the subject. Lol
Are you referring to the 12B36 program? That doesn't affect the MFT. It only causes the fans to randomly run at high speed to prevent possible corrosion on the contacts.

Peter

Sorry. Two seperate issues, you're right. My service writer was calling it the same thing and I guess, even knowing better, sorta kept that theme alive. To calrify, the MFT update worked wonderfully and the PCM reprogram from 12B36 seemed to have changed shift points etc. I know they "said" it was only the cooling fan issue so I wasn't expecting anything else, but the performance was noticeably different and I can't help but think they took the opportunity to "hide" other needed changes in the reprogram. I mean, I'm no electrical engineer, but changing the fan cycle rate and speed to keep contacts clean? Call me skeptical but that seems funny to me...

Sorry. Two seperate issues, you're right. My service writer was calling it the same thing and I guess, even knowing better, sorta kept that theme alive. To calrify, the MFT update worked wonderfully and the PCM reprogram from 12B36 seemed to have changed shift points etc. I know they "said" it was only the cooling fan issue so I wasn't expecting anything else, but the performance was noticeably different and I can't help but think they took the opportunity to "hide" other needed changes in the reprogram. I mean, I'm no electrical engineer, but changing the fan cycle rate and speed to keep contacts clean? Call me skeptical but that seems funny to me...
The fans do not always run. The 12B36 reprogram will cause them to come on more oftenat high speed, even though they are not required for actual cooling purposes. I guess the thinking (or hope) behind this is that this more frequent running of the fans will help prevent corrosion build up on the contacts.

Peter

Mine was completed Friday, don't notice any shift point changes or performance gains. Did notice fans stay on about 5 to 7 seconds longer after vehicle is turned off?

a pcm re-program was part of the service bulletin/recall , I haven't noticed anything different, one of my complaints has been the slow response to downshift at highway speeds but I'll see if anything has changed on that front, I doubt it has though.

My service advisor said they changed the amount of time the fans would run as they were burning out from running too long. But then again he will pretty much say anything off the top of his head and I never really believe anything he ever tells me that is technical related, nice guy but I don't think he really knows much.

a pcm re-program was part of the service bulletin/recall , I haven't noticed anything different, one of my complaints has been the slow response to downshift at highway speeds but I'll see if anything has changed on that front, I doubt it has though.

My service advisor said they changed the amount of time the fans would run as they were burning out from running too long. But then again he will pretty much say anything off the top of his head and I never really believe anything he ever tells me that is technical related, nice guy but I don't think he really knows much.
That is the exact opposite of what I was told. My service advisor read it right off the computer and said it was to randomly run the fans at high speed to prevent possible contamination building up on the contacts. Apparently the fans were not running often enough and this would hopefully address the problem.

Peter

That is the exact opposite of what I was told. My service advisor read it right off the computer and said it was to randomly run the fans at high speed to prevent possible contamination building up on the contacts. Apparently the fans were not running often enough and this would hopefully address the problem.

Peter

Yeah I trust your service advisor more than mine, lol, I did preface the statement beforehand as I was pretty sure he was wrong. On a side note I started my truck up this afternoon and the fans started up immediately and the truck wasn't hot at all and I didn't have the a/c on either, so yeah they may be running more often now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do find out if you have a recall on your truck!
Hi ford tonya1975, welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Are talking about a 2011 to 2013 model? If so, there is a list of TSBs for them
at the beginning of the threads. To my knowledge there are no actual 'recalls' for them but there are updates for the MFT and the cooling fans.
If you are asking about another model year, you should pose your question on the appropriate thread. Your dealer should also be able to check for recalls.

Peter

Back