Easy and Cheap 1.5-2" Rear Lift Without Shackles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy and Cheap 1.5-2" Rear Lift Without Shackles

Freshmeat-I see your making some cuts, have you driven your truck with the 34's on it? Are you rubbing a lot? If so where? I have a very similar set up to you and I was thinking about using 33x10.50's. What is the backspacing on your rims? Sorry so many questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no problems helping others in any way man. I've cut a good bit on the driver side, but as a single father I haven't had a chance to do the passenger side so I can't drive it yet- it's contacting both front bumper and rear of fender opening in stock form. I lopped off the corner of the wheel opening as you saw, as well as taking off about 2" of bumper and trimming the front of the wheel opening to fit. I hope to do the passenger side at some point this coming week and I'll be sure to post my results ASAP.

Oh- wheel backspacing is 4".

Nice write up !

When I was a kid I thought I remember my father taking the leaf packs off and sending them out to be resprung(?), for an '81 F150.

Is this a possible and existing option to put more life into a leaf pack?

Other than replacing shackles I have never messed with the leaf springs.

The WAR shackles seem like a simple quick fix, I guess, and the ride of my current springs feel okay but I really need an extra inch or two in the rear after replacing my front with new stock coils.

Sorry I didn't see this!

Springs can get "re-arched" with the proper equipment. Not many shops are capable of doing this, though, and it's my understanding that with the cost associated, it usually ends up being close enough that you'd just as well have replaced the springs.

Not to mention that re-arching a spring generally tends to weaken it, or it will still be soft as it is still the old spring, just with a little more bend. If you can get them done properly it may work out well, but all the people around me I've talked to who re-arched their springs (we have a shop who can do them around here) recommended to not bother with it.

It was a great option back before the aftermarket really kicked up with lift kits, but now it's kind of an outdated procedure.

I completed the trimming on the front. I now have full clearance for the 34x10.50x15 LTBs on only 2" lift.

Testing clearance during the trimming:

photo9.jpg

Most of the scrap that was removed:

photo11.jpg

Inside the passenger fender (you can see where I trimmed the inner fender):

photo10.jpg

A couple poser shots to get a more realistic idea of whether I'll clear:

photo12.jpg

photo13.jpg

The tires cleared fine on the one trail ride I caught, about a month ago... but the A4LD blew out and I've been working on swapping in a M5OD since, getting hung up by some stupid **** on basically every damn step of the process.

that sucks man.. i think i remember reading in another thread where you were having trouble with the auto. i've been goin out whenever i can, three times this past week and havnt had any trouble with my trans, even with the high gears. Keeping it in 4Lo seems to keep things alot cooler.

I didn't come out of low range while I was out there, but apparently it wasn't enough. I was driving it every day for two weeks without a single drip, but two hours on the trail (not even constantly pushing it) fried that sucker. It's really not a problem, though- I REAAAALLY wanted to go with the five speed anyway, so this gave me a perfect excuse. The Ex was my girlfriend's first car, so she came with me for its maiden voyage... and had so much fun she basically told me to spend whatever it's going to take as long as it doesn't cut into actual bills or anything. She's also talking about learning how to drive a manual so she can run it on the trails once in a while.

I do need to replace the rear shocks. I have some to go in, but I want to get a kit to convert it from the shocks with the bar going across the top to having standard eyes on both ends. I believe ProComp makes a kit; I just haven't had a chance to dig yet.

Hopefully I'll wrap up this transmission swap between tonight and tomorrow and I'll be able to move forward again.

Thanks, but I'm going with the JKS design. Those don't look solid enough for the kind of abuse I throw at my truck.

i got a 92 xlt and if i get some f-150 leaf packs and coil and put them under it do i need a longer pitman arm and if i do what can i use that off of for my explorer

Nice write up !

When I was a kid I thought I remember my father taking the leaf packs off and sending them out to be resprung(?), for an '81 F150.

The WAR shackles seem like a simple quick fix, I guess, and the ride of my current springs feel okay but I really need an extra inch or two in the rear after replacing my front with new stock coils.

I lifted an 85 Toyota pickup in 87. i had my springs "resprung" and went with 7 leafs each, coupled with 5&1/2" longer lift shackles. ( obviously stiff a/f ride...) I ended up with an impressive 27" of lift. My 44" TSL Super Swampers fit PERFECTLY. btw, OFF ROAD WAREHOUSE in San Diego, CA (shameless plug) has ANY parts needed, and the boys REALLY know how to build a truck.....
Nice write up !

I lifted an 85 Toyota pickup in 87. i had my springs "resprung" and went with 7 leafs each, coupled with 5&1/2" longer lift shackles. ( obviously stiff a/f ride...) I ended up with an impressive 27" of lift. My 44" TSL Super Swampers fit PERFECTLY. btw, OFF ROAD WAREHOUSE in San Diego, CA (shameless plug) has ANY parts needed, and the boys REALLY know how to build a truck.....

I have sn 02 explorer as of 3 months ago. all stock. it sags so badly in the rear its resembling my grandmother ... i put a car trailer on it to haul some scrap steel and it is frame to axle... Frustratingly staring down the length of the hood at planes flying by overhead. im going to try a lift shackle i think. Since im a fabricator/ welder, it's FREE! ;P

Back