Tire Pressure for 20" Hankook's

Sloppy96

Reaction score
City, State
Northern, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT 4WD
Hi Guys,

I know this has been discussed before but it seems like there was no definitive answer. Checked TireRack and the max inflation was 44psi, yet in past posts some said 50psi.

I looked but couldn't find anything from the manufacturer, I'm hoping someone has the facts.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's printed right on your driver's side door jamb. 35 PSI.

I run about 34 PSI. Tires have been great. I have over 47,000 miles on 'em. Plan to replace in about 10,000 miles with Bridgestone Alenza.

Why do you need to know maximum inflation?

When I store my sports cars for the winter, I inflate those tires to 58-60 PSI. As per the owner's manual.

Just wanted to know whats normal, Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I know this has been discussed before but it seems like there was no definitive answer. Checked TireRack and the max inflation was 44psi, yet in past posts some said 50psi.

I looked but couldn't find anything from the manufacturer, I'm hoping someone has the facts.

Thanks.
Did you look on the tire?? The Yokohamas that I replaced the Hankooks with say 50 psi Max PRESS.

Peter

Did you look on the tire?? The Yokohamas that I replaced the Hankooks with say 50 psi Max PRESS.

Peter

What it says on the tire has nothing to do with what is printed on the door jam. The placard on the door jam is the design tested pressure the manufacturer (Ford) wants to be used on that specific vehicle.

What it says on the tire has nothing to do with what is printed on the door jam. The placard on the door jam is the design tested pressure the manufacturer (Ford) wants to be used on that specific vehicle.
boss377, I realize that. I understood that the OP was asking what the maximum inflation pressure was for the tire, not what the recommended inflation psi is. I agree, that info is shown on the door placard. Max pressure should be shown on the tire, like mine is, and is determined by the tire manufacturer.

Peter

boss377, I realize that. I understood that the OP was asking what the maximum inflation pressure was for the tire, not what the recommended inflation psi is. I agree, that info is shown on the door placard. Max pressure should be shown on the tire, like mine is, and is determined by the tire manufacturer.

Peter

Oh, right, then 50lbs is MAX.

Old thread but still relevant.

I just got new Firestone Destinations LE3's on my 2017 Explorer Sport (255/50R20).

Firestone's website says 35 psi, the tire store put it at 40psi and the side of the tire says max 50 psi.

I'm about to take a huge trip from Upstate NY to Florida (and back) and was wondering what PSI I should run at?

The tire labeled MAX pressure is the most it should ever have in it. The door jamb is only for OEM tires the vehicle came with, not the next generation of tires which are made for different pressures. So the maximum is on the tire, and the OEM suggested amount should be used as the minimum pressure.

Remember that OEM were half at fault for all Firestone tire failures of the old gen trucks. The tires had a defect, but running the low pressure listed on the door jamb just created more heat, and on trips it caused failures. I was on an 1100 mile trip back then when the recall was announced. I had the Firestone's on my 93 truck, and I had no trouble, I got another 15k miles out of them. I had about 32-35psi in those tires, which was the ideal amount for my stock vehicle with the stock type tires. The door jamb is a bad place to get tire pressures from, unless it's brand new.

The subject is large but 90% of the debate is always each individual person's ignorant belief of some magic random pressure they claim works for all tires, or their car, or what the dealer told them etc.

The best pressure varies by the vehicle, the weight of each end, the tires used, the usage, and the driver's habits. There is no one pressure that is right for all. The best answer is tire wear, use what is needed to optimize the wear.

I put more in the front because that end is heavier and needs more air to even the tire wear, and I don't drive 90% highway at 55mph. I use the same pressures in the next set if they are the same exact tire. If not, I start over again and watch tire wear carefully, starting with pressures I find worked best before, and adjust as needed. When the centers wear faster, reduce the pressure, when the edges do, raise it. It is that simple, begin with a figure several PSI below the MAX pressure, more in front, less in rear, and drive it. Check the tires often, at 1000 miles you shouldn't notice any odd wear, nor at 4-5000, But it you do, when you do, adjust them carefully and rotate, and keep watching them. Once you learn what they need, that specific set of tires, you can continue with those pressures until the next time you change tire brands or type etc.

My 98 with Cooper likes about 37psi in front, and 34psi in the rear tires, the MAX being 44psi.

Wow, thanks for the lengthy reply.

Since they are brand new and all have a max of 50 PSI, I think I will run with 40 in the front and 37 in the back (cold). That way when they heat up I won't come near the MAX and be above the minimum 35 PSI.

I'd go with 35 cold, both front and rear.

Peter

Back