• Register Today It's free!

I Squeak and I dont know why!

ChrisTM

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
As the title said, I squeak a lot and I am not sure why!

So far, due to various reasons I have replaced the fallowing parts:

All shocks < 1k miles
Front Rotors < 1k miles
Front upper and lower ball joints < 1k miles
Rear body mounts < 2k miles

The front and rear end, especially the rear, squeaks as I am going over bumps and such. The front squeaks when I turn the wheels while not moving. :eek:

What else is there that could be causing this? I am leery of just soaking every moving part under the chassis with WD40 or something similar.

The subject Ex-Sport only has 109k miles and is running like a champ.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the front and rear sway bar frame bushings. Also end links.

Why be leary about lubing the moving parts? Years ago, that was part of a good lube job. Thats whats wrong with most vehicles today, lack of maintenance. If you are younger than 50 years old or so, I'll bet you never heard of Ru Glide. Used to be sprayed on all the control arm bushings to keep them from squeaking.

I have no problem actually doing the work, but different parts require different lubes, and if you use the wrong one even once it will just cause your seals and such to melt/deteriorate.

I guess in that case then, let it squeak. If they are squeaking, that means they are wearing out, you will be replacing parts anyway.

Sway bar bushings only 2 bolts each easy to do. If the frond end links are bad, then sawzall off the old and put on the new. very easy. These parts dont need lubing, However their are some after market bushings that come with a zerk fitting if you want this.

White lithium spray grease is a good choice for rubber or poly bushings, but still a short term fix.
As previously mentioned, the best method is removal, thorough cleaning, and using the proper lubricant.
Poly has benefits although tend to squeak over time, even the ES black graphite impregnated bushings.

one thing u didnt mention was tie rod ends,,if its squeaking, it ,may also be vibratimg some,, have someone u trust turn steering wheel with u out there listening, touching, dont lettim run u over, touch tie rodsm upper an lower ball joints theres not much moving if your car is sitting stillif yor car is sitting still theres only 6 things total moving, upper an lower ball joints 4,, tie rod ends 2, have someone big,,get on the bumper, jump up an down on the bumper,, see what happens, dont callem big if its your inlaws, speciaaly your mother in law, get down there with the parts, listen to them

Why be leary about lubing the moving parts? Years ago, that was part of a good lube job. Thats whats wrong with most vehicles today, lack of maintenance. If you are younger than 50 years old or so, I'll bet you never heard of Ru Glide. Used to be sprayed on all the control arm bushings to keep them from squeaking.

lack of maintenance isn't the problem; it's the lack of being able to perform maintenance on a lot of wearable parts. ie bushings.

FWIW, my UCA, LCA, inner and outer tierods, sway bar end links, and front shocks are less than 2 years old.
They have started squeaking excessively over the last 2 months or so.

I've tried spraying the bushings down with white lithium grease and WD40 to attempt to find the culprit, but haven't had any luck.

Well I sprayed everything down that even looked like it was movable with "Ultra Lube" which the kragen guy recommended. Almost all the stuff I had at home was silicone based and this stuff is an oil based. No squeeks for over a week until today. Very light occasional from the rear.

I think I want to go ahead and replace my tie rods. I dont know enough about the rear parts to do it myself confidently, but I have the shop manual and this site, hopefully I can figure it out :p

If you get a creaking when, say, entering a driveway where the truck twists a little, replace your door and tailgate striker bushings. Those are a major piece of the creakin' puzzle... :)

one place bad for squeaking is if any part of the bed touches the back of the cab

As well as the passenger seat. Lots of squeaking from there... :D

Front - good luck, lots of things to point to that previous posts addressed.

Rear - I didn't see anyone pointing to the issue that I ran into so check this while you are under there: There are pads between the leaf springs that, once gone, allow each leaf to rub the other and produce a nasty little squeak. That may be your issue.

Ya, I am suspecting those now as well. They stopped after a good spray down, but I already had to replace my rear body mounts so it might be time for those as well.

Back