Mitsubishi 5-speed fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mitsubishi 5-speed fit?

Well after a lot of looking around i seem to have stumbled onto something very interesting! The mitsubishi 5-speed from rangers and broncoII's will fit into explorers and it appears it's a stout littel unit cause advance adapters 5.0 conversions page offers a bellhousing to retain this tranny its even the same size as the one thats all ready in there 28.687". go figure $2000.00 to rebuild a A4LD when i could have got one of these for $100.00 from the local wrecking yard and got rid of the auto for good HAHAHA!!! OK now will one of you please explain why this wont work.:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will work. :D

It was actually offered in some explorers.

Yep! It will work!

But I thought the only 5-speed that made it into the Explorers was the Mazda?? My brain is addled :confused:

The Mitsu tranny came in the earliest Explorers. It's not even as strong as the Mazda tranny.

Wonder why AA say's you can keep it with a 5.0? Oh and did you know a bellhousing from a early mustang 2.8 will mate a T-5 to a 4.0 i just need to know what to do with the internals. Maybe some day we can get all the teck info and do a proper write up on it

I don't know about the Mitsubishi, but the Mazda's bellhousing is non removable. If the Mitsu had a removable bellhousing then they could easily make a new bellhousing to adapt it to the 5.0.

The Advance catalog makes specific mention that the Mazda tranny has an integral bellhousing.

Back