Rear View Mirror is Drooping! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear View Mirror is Drooping!

I had that on mine and then it gradually did it more often to the point it wiped 3 or 4 times per episode. I found that sometimes it did it when going from dark to light conditions or light to dark. When I went to have the TSB done on it, it wiped several times as I drove it into the dealer's service garage.
Everything was fine until I had the MFT update done. Since then, it has done a single wipe about 3 times. I'll see if it gets worse before getting something done about it.

Peter

Yeah I think it may be a light thing... such as when the sunlight is blocked by trees and then all of a sudden it is not. Or maybe reflections off of cars/glass in front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the dealer replaced the mirror for me... they said Ford agreed to do it and it was like $1200 or whatever. I get driving it and realize the lane keeping system is broke...it won't come on at all. So I go back today and they told me the camera has to be recalibrated. Only problem is the software needed to do this hasn't been released by Ford yet and Ford told them it could be weeks. This is really unbelievable. They said they expect a call back from Ford to see if there is any workaround. I can't believe Ford is this unorganized.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, the rain-sensing wipers that use the same camera are working OK. I guess it doesn't have to be perfectly aligned for those to work

So the dealer replaced the mirror for me... they said Ford agreed to do it and it was like $1200 or whatever. I get driving it and realize the lane keeping system is broke...it won't come on at all. So I go back today and they told me the camera has to be recalibrated. Only problem is the software needed to do this hasn't been released by Ford yet and Ford told them it could be weeks. This is really unbelievable. They said they expect a call back from Ford to see if there is any workaround. I can't believe Ford is this unorganized.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, the rain-sensing wipers that use the same camera are working OK. I guess it doesn't have to be perfectly aligned for those to work

Rain Sense uses a camera to sense moisture?

Rain Sense uses a camera to sense moisture?

Ok on second thought I guess it is not using the camera. It is using an "optical sensor" that is behind the rearview mirror. It beams infrared light out and detects the drops on the windshield via the reflection

The auto high beam system DOES use the same camera

Ok on second thought I guess it is not using the camera. It is using an "optical sensor" that is behind the rearview mirror. It beams infrared light out and detects the drops on the windshield via the reflection
I did not know that. :notworthy

Peter

The auto high beam system DOES use the same camera

I thought the optical sensor was used for the auto-dimming mirror. It compares the amount of light that sensor is getting to the amount of light the sensor on the mirror side is getting to calculate how much to dim the mirror. If I put my finger over the sensor, the mirror darkens.

It is my understanding that the camera is used for the auto wipers. It 'sees' the rain drops on the glass and activates based on the rate of accumulation and number of drops seen.

Of course, I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time :)

I thought the optical sensor was used for the auto-dimming mirror. It compares the amount of light that sensor is getting to the amount of light the sensor on the mirror side is getting to calculate how much to dim the mirror. If I put my finger over the sensor, the mirror darkens.

Of course, I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time :)

You're talking about the sensor on the mirror side..it sees light from behind the car and dims the mirror accordingly. I'm talking about a sensor behind the mirror - pointing towards the windshield... in the same place/compartment as the camera. The rain drops refract the light differently than no rain drops and thus it can determine if there is rain or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIDRUnwo6j0

You're talking about the sensor on the mirror side..it sees light from behind the car and dims the mirror accordingly. I'm talking about a sensor behind the mirror - pointing towards the windshield... in the same place/compartment as the camera. The rain drops refract the light differently than no rain drops and thus it can determine if there is rain or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIDRUnwo6j0
I don't think that the optical sensor is that little white 'square' on the back of the rearview mirror.
I believe it is that very small sensor that is located in the large black portion of the mirror mount. If you look at the mount from the outside of the windshield, you will see what look like a small sensor to the passenger side of the mirror. This would also be in line with the area that is being sprayed in the video. The spray is up high, above the line of sight of that other 'square' sensor which is on the back of the mirror itself.

Peter

I was thinking about the white square on the back of the mirror. That is used on the Gentex mirrors for the auto dimming (it uses both the front and back sensors to compare light levels).

I now see the little shiny thingy above the camera in the mirror mount. Never noticed that one before, lol :)

Dealer got the camera calibrated...everything is working good now. Not sure if the replacement mirror will be drooping..it will take me a few days to notice

I had noticed it but kept thinking it was me, being a new vehicle, I've been constantly adjusting annd playing with the power seat trying to find the best position.
Mirror got worse, having to adjust almost every morning, maybe the warm weather had something to do with it?
Well I'm here at the dealer now getting the 1200 dollar mirror replaced.
Hope this resolves the issue and doesn't create any new headaches.

Mirror got worse, having to adjust almost every morning, maybe the warm weather had something to do with it?
Well I'm here at the dealer now getting the 1200 dollar mirror replaced.
Hope this resolves the issue and doesn't create any new headaches.

I'm guessing the mirror isn't exactly cheap because it incorporates the rain-sensing wiper sensor attachment. I'm curious if that piece has to be replaced as well.
I checked out your post on your vehicle and noticed you didn't add splash guards.

Peter

I believe having my mirror replaced fixed the issue. It is always a bit difficult to tell because just slightly tilting my heat or changing my position in the seat means the view changes...I try to line up the mirror with the top of the rear window so I can tell

Just an update...replacing the mirror did not fix the problem. It takes days for it to become noticable, but eventually it moves down enought that I have to move it back up. Oh well

Just an update...replacing the mirror did not fix the problem. It takes days for it to become noticable, but eventually it moves down enought that I have to move it back up. Oh well
I assume that you are the only driver. I haven't had to adjust mine since I got it 1 1/2 ago. In fact, the mirror doesn't move that easily to begin with.
Not sure why a few owners are having this problem.
Maybe some 'Loctite' would help.

Peter

I assume that you are the only driver. I haven't had to adjust mine since I got it 1 1/2 ago. In fact, the mirror doesn't move that easily to begin with.
Not sure why a few owners are having this problem.
Maybe some 'Loctite' would help.

Peter

Yes I am the only driver...it takes more than 1.5 days for it to drop for me...I would guess 3 or 4 days before I really notice it

Yes I am the only driver...it takes more than 1.5 days for it to drop for me...I would guess 3 or 4 days before I really notice it
Maybe you're still growing. :D
I just looked at mine and it doesn't seem there is anyway to tighten anything. It just looks like a 'ball and socket' setup.

Peter

It could be your seat position changing? Sometimes my seat can't figure out if it's me or my wife, and then I have to push memory seat button for me. We both carry the automatic key fobs when we are in the car, or approaching it.

It could be your seat position changing? Sometimes my seat can't figure out if it's me or my wife, and then I have to push memory seat button for me. We both carry the automatic key fobs when we are in the car, or approaching it.
I doubt it. He replied to my post that he is the only driver. Also, if it was the seat changing position, then the outside mirrors would also require readjusting, I would think.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for following up phareous and reporting your experience.

It's a real phenomenon. About once a week I have to re-adjust my mirror too. And, there have been enough observations by others that have spoke up on this thread to corroborate. I didn’t go back through completely, but I seemed to think that the observations have mostly been reported by those who own 2013 model year.

Does anyone with a non-2013 have this problem with the mirror drooping slightly so that you have to readjust it?

I think I’ll see if I can take some measurements and check them over several days. Maybe I can detect the change. Lately, our daily high temps have fallen back into the 90’s (degrees F) so my data may get skewed. I had suspected that maybe it was related to the temperature the interior of the car was reaching when we were getting baked by mother nature earlier this summer.

This is not a big deal compared to some of the other problems reported in this forum. But is does seem like something pretty basic has changed in the performance of this sub-assembly (mirror) since earlier models, assuming the data holds to 2013’s. I’m not looking for any trouble here, just a fix if one can be found. My time is way too valuable to spend in a dealer’s waiting room unnecessarily…I have better things to do; like measuring drooping mirrors. ;o)

Happy Explorer’ing everyone.

Back