FAT CAT

meaty beaty big & bouncy
Reaction score
City, State
Baja California
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hey all!

My search kung fu is lacking on this one so thanks for any help you can give...

I'm looking for a used transfer case to go in a 97 Explorer. The dash switch I have now says; AUTO, 4HI, 4LOW. (not sure what case that is)

There is a guy selling a case from the same year but his dash switch says; 2WD, 4WD AUTO, 4WD LOW.

Can I swap that case in without causing contrabufibutations and tribulationabolics with my computer???

Oh, please let me know if anyone is selling a t-case that will work for me in the San Diego area...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the replacement have the VSS like the '97? Is it a 7GA?

VSS:
6713.jpg

7GA:
0008.jpg

He says the case is the 4405 and I think I have the 1354???

here are some pics of the case he's selling:

Attachments

• IMG_20120829_175053.jpg
    IMG_20120829_175053.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_20120829_175104.jpg
    IMG_20120829_175104.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_20120829_175122.jpg
    IMG_20120829_175122.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 424

Groovy...

any ideas on the original question???

<<I'm looking for a used transfer case to go in a 97 Explorer. The dash switch I have now says; AUTO, 4HI, 4LOW. (not sure what case that is)

There is a guy selling a case from the same year but his dash switch says; 2WD, 4WD AUTO, 4WD LOW.

Can I swap that case in without causing contrabufibutations and tribulationabolics with my computer???>>

Do you have a VSS on your T-case like Dr Doom asked?

Do you have a U-joint at the front output or a CV-joint?

The way the switch is labeled doesnt mean anything, the radio bezel could have been changed over the years.

If you dont have a VSS, any 44-05 will work. To swap an older 44-05 (like the one pictured) into a newer truck you need a VSS (just to seal the hole.) and a 95-early '97 front driveshaft.

Sorry, I should have added more information in the first post, but I didn't want to get too far away from the orig. question...

I did say, I thought I had a 1354 in it but I was just guessing as there isn't anything there now...there is NO transfer case in the truck now. All the 4 wheel drive stuff was taken out to turn the truck into a faux pre-runner thingy. My son got it super-cheap (traded stereo gear for it), off a friend after the other kid blew out the the rear end.

I did a SAS on my old Explorer years ago and have a bunch of front end parts laying in the back yard that I'm going to use to put it back to a stock 4x4. I do have the front drive shaft, axles etc...everything EXCEPT the T-Case:(

So all I have to go on as to what t-case was in it, is the switch on the dash that says AUTO, 4HI, 4LOW

I need to know if I can swap in a used t-case from a truck that says 2WD, 4WD AUTO, and 4LOW???

Thanks for your time!

Which front driveshaft do you have? The u-joint or the CV joint style.

A 13-54 and a 44-05 will both fit.

97 is a tricky year for a T-case.

2 diff types were used in this year. Early 97 did use a mechanical VSS, while later year models switched to a non-mechanical VSS. Both had a C/V (cup) style front output. later in the 97 year, Ford decided to eliminate the mechanical VSS in favor of the simple electric VSS. The rear axle ABS sensor does double duty, and used in conjunction with the tone ring in the rear axle housing, eliminates the mechanical VSS

Since yours is a 97, it can be figured out just by looking at the trans harness.

If you have the mechanical connector for the VSS, you need the 4405 w/vss. If you have no mechanical Vss connector on the harness, you need the 4405 wo/VSS

All 97 came with a round CV style front output stock. Only 95-96 used the 4405-CA with double cardon front output.

Back