Jasper 5R55E | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jasper 5R55E

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Tracker
Sorry if this has been posted, but I am looking into a 2002 Explorer with a 4.0 and 4X4. The trans was out once already. I've read somewhere that Jasper improved on Fords design. I've been searching here but can't find much a bout them. Has anyone here used one? And if so , how is it holding up, are you happy with it? Thanks.
Dave

I may be wrong, it might not be a 5R55e. It is a 5 speed auto. Sorry, new to Fords.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trans for the 4.0 on an '02, it the 5R55W. I have one from Jasper, and it works great. Been using it for 5,000 miles, now.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I finally found the trans section here, and it takes some looking but I found a couple of threads that mention people having them. It's good to know. I know they're not the cheapest, but hey, if they made improvements, then it's worth it. That and a warranty. Sorry for not posting the right Trans number.
Dave

I have a Jasper in my ST and it is so much smoother and quicker shifting than my old trans. Plus the 3yr warranty is great.

The truck only has 57,000 miles on it. No rust on the frame. It's in great shape. He said that at 47,000 it would not shift into reverse or drive. The trans shop tore it down only to realize the computer that controls it's shifting into rev. drive etc. is what went bad, he said it was in mint condition, nothing wrong, and put it back together. And replaced the computer, and has had no problems since.

(Does that make sense?)

The truck only has 57,000 miles on it. No rust on the frame. It's in great shape. He said that at 47,000 it would not shift into reverse or drive. The trans shop tore it down only to realize the computer that controls it's shifting into rev. drive etc. is what went bad, he said it was in mint condition, nothing wrong, and put it back together. And replaced the computer, and has had no problems since.

(Does that make sense?)

does what make sense?

It's good to know the problem wasnt the tranny with that low of mileage.

My 5r55s is now a jasper and I love it... I believe they told me that they improved it on over A dozen points..
the stock ones definitely have problems from servo bore wear to the actual input Shaft all of which has been fixed
mine went @34,69,97,113...I'm sure the case had flaws...
at that point I was tired of screwing with it and went with a Jasper for the warranty..
also had them slap in my deep pan with dipstick while it was there so it won't hurt my warranty

Back