1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
I'll start with what I have.

Headunit: Alpine CDE-HD137BT
Door Speakers: Alpine SPS-517 (X4)
Sub Amp: Alpine MRP-M500
Door Speaker Amp: XM-4045
Subs: MTX Thunder 6000 series 10" (X2)
Battery: Interstate Battery's MTP-65

What I am going for is a clean loud, and reliable system, which is why I went with Alpine, over Walmart Pioneer, or Boss stuff. Nothing against those company's, but Alpine is much better in my opinion.

I shortly after installed the Head unit and Door speakers, which where powered with Head unit for now. waiting on more money, to buy parts.

2dkzwvb.jpg

30w45mf.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After this I installed an Charging System Upgrade Kit, which I got from Tony Candela at Auto Electrical Supply. I got the 4 gauge kit, which handles up to 150 amps. My Stock alternator makes 130 amps, so It was perfect. This Kit allows my alternator to charge my battery faster, and with less voltage drop. I preformed many voltage drop test before and after, and the difference was significant. Going from a relative low strand wire, to a high strand oxygen free copper wire, made a huge difference.

I made a video overview of the whole system including a in depth view of the upgrade kit, with my new battery.

Video Link

Soon there will be the Sub install, I am waiting on some grommets so I can run my ground for the amp directly through the floor and right to the frame. I am also running 4 gauge from the ground, and positive battery terminal all the way back to the amps, and then into distribution blocks, which make two 8 gauge outputs which the amps accept.

Why the XM-4045 amp?

Why the XM-4045 amp?

Well I got it free from a friend, and it was very rarely used. So I figure why not use it, plus If I ever want to upgrade, it's not that hard to just swap in a new amp.

That Sony amp is old school, made in Japan. Pry actually is a fairly solid amp...

I have the same head unit....just pulled it from my explorer and installed in my Mounty. I have always preferred alpine head units over other brands, they just seem to sound better to me .

I have had cheap head units from wally world, and they are just crap. I chose Alpine, because they have been in the business for a long time, and every product of theirs that I have used is solid and reliable. The only time I have ever seen an alpine product fails is when people under power their subs and cause the amp to clip, thus destroying the sub in the process.

a bit of an update for my Ex, I have temporary hooked up the subs, because it was getting colder and colder here, and I just didn't have the money to finish up everything properly. Plus I hate working in the cold. so the proper install will most likely be in the spring, with possible my first box build. we'll see how good I am at that.

Another long awaited update. I am saying Farewell to my MTX subs....With them being so old, and me abusing them all the time they gave up the ghost so to speak today,by shorting out, and putting the amp into protection. I got a line on some Alpine Type E's. so that will most likely replace the MTX's... BUT, there will be many more updates, still planning on finishing the install, and doing it properly, also upgrading the Alpine Speakers to either Hertz Energy's, or High Energy's, and doing a custom mount for my deck, and and CB, with switches for my off road lights, some optional upgrades may include Second Skin Sound Dampening, and an Mechman Alternator. But we'll see what the summer brings.

Well I got the box done, and installed, so I am actually getting this all set up a lot faster then I expected. Time for some Pictures!!!!

This is the box that came with the Type E's, it is a dual chamber sealed box. 1.0 cubic feet per chamber, it was made by a company called Bass Slammer....

This is the way I got the box, all I did was take out the subs.
vsdlds.jpg

10hk5dk.jpg

Do you see what I see?
2wqamc1.jpg

Yea, I was pretty speechless for this one.
35jhzpy.jpg

Same on the other chamber, although this time I expected it.
14snn0w.jpg

Yea, green is no good... Still not sure how it really happened.
dg79s0.jpg

They had to go...
xpx4qx.jpg

aaaaannnnnddddd gone!
huq104.jpg

Much better!
124vqrk.jpg

GOLD!
33lfhpy.jpg

Huston! we have a problem...
30skcpy.jpg

I was sort of upset, because I forgot to measure BEFORE I bought these.
2wgdfo8.jpg

So I broke out some sand paper...
usu42.jpg

And Quickly got annoyed.....
13yich.jpg

So I bought a new Dremel!
vfy3rm.jpg

And was very happy!
2lbfhqx.jpg

Next was sealing it all up,

Befores...
2hf3y1t.jpg

28iw80p.jpg

Liquid Nails, it said Heavy Duty, so it had to be good, right?
qrhgzd.jpg

All done! Afters...
35b8q9u.jpg

343t2ft.jpg

Time for the PolyFill, I actually asked a lady who was also buying PolyFill, probably not for the same purpose, what the difference between low loft, and high loft was... When she asked me what I was using it for, I told her I was lining the inside of a 2 cubic foot subwoofer box, she paused, looked confused, then asked me what I need, I tolder her thin, and not very dense, she told me to go with the low loft...
307rslh.jpg

This is pretty good stuff, not 3M good, but still very good.
28hpgyc.jpg

Action Shot!
1zxwm5s.jpg

Done with the PolyFill!!!
m76czm.jpg

Time to Solder those connections! Yes I know the wire I got is not the greatest, but it was cheap, and very easy to get...
1q0dvo.jpg

My Trusty $15 Soldering station!
2i8kehj.jpg

Don't forget to tin!
34qrzpu.jpg

Finished product!
34god45.jpg

Time to install, I took the carpet off so that the rope caulk would seal tot he wood, not the carpet.
1on0xz.jpg

The Rope Caulk I used, apparently Home Depot no long carry's it....
dotcoz.jpg

Nice and clean looking, no excess went over the sides, once tightened down. which I guess I forgot to take pictures of. but you get the idea....
10pr9sx.jpg

I was a bit fearful to solder on the terminals, but it turned out great.
kbu4h.jpg

2rzfdkp.jpg

Rope caulk under, the rubber seal I feel should be good against the wood, but I didn't trust it against the basket, it fit pretty loosely.
2jbtb2e.jpg

Install time! bought 16 new screws to mount them in, they bit real good, and it is tight to the box. :D
nx574k.jpg

Repeat on the other woofer.
28jutqc.jpg

I found a picture of the back, although it is not so good.
2n99hf4.jpg

My truck was now ready for the new, and improved sub box....
o0xjkk.jpg

out with the old.
28gs0hz.jpg

In with the new. :D
2r7lc3c.jpg

there it is, it may not seem like a lot of work, but it sure felt like it.

Why forward fire them? Just curious. Most people rear or up fire. Also, If i saw correctly on the video the wire in the rear seat isn't tucked after the sill. I'm not sure if 4drs are the same with the lift-up carpet in rear, but you can easily pull the carpet under the seat to the side without removing the seats and run wire under them and completely hide and replace without any traces of it being pulled up. Then again, I'm in a 98 2dr vs a 96 4.

Why forward fire them? Just curious. Most people rear or up fire. Also, If i saw correctly on the video the wire in the rear seat isn't tucked after the sill. I'm not sure if 4drs are the same with the lift-up carpet in rear, but you can easily pull the carpet under the seat to the side without removing the seats and run wire under them and completely hide and replace without any traces of it being pulled up. Then again, I'm in a 98 2dr vs a 96 4.

My old subs where forward firing, so I guess I am just used to it, I suppose I could try rear, or upward firing.... Never gave it a though I guess. While messing with it before the video, I may have moved them, They usually are tucked away nicely.

Pics

I love the pictures! Awesome Job!!!
How does it sound to you now?

It that enough polyfill?

I have never lined the interior of enclosures with polyfill. I usual just took a certain amount, fluffed it up, put it inside enclosure, and put the subwoofer in...

Like this sample pic:
DSC01980.jpg

I love the pictures! Awesome Job!!!
How does it sound to you now?
it sounds real nice. Sort of getting used to the adjustments. It for sure sounds louder, and I no longer have farting noises from air leaks.

It that enough polyfill?

I have never lined the interior of enclosures with polyfill. I usual just took a certain amount, fluffed it up, put it inside enclosure, and put the subwoofer in...

Like this sample pic:
DSC01980.jpg
To be honest the box was fine for the subs, but it was on the smaller side of the scale for the subs, and I figured it would help slightly. I did some math and it added slightly more volume. So it was worth it.

Back