Cleaning Wiper Marks off of windshield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cleaning Wiper Marks off of windshield

03Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Sport
Ok, so I realize how dumb this sounds but I can't get the wiper marks off of my Explorer Sport...it looks as if whoever had the car before me never bought any new blades....here's what I have tried....Water and scrubbing, Windex, Car Window Cleaner, Bug and Tar Remover, Bar Keepers Friend. All to no avail! Any suggestions or proven methods would be appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rubbing alcohol on a soft rag will be your best friend here. Apply it liberally to the clean/soft towel or rag and rub it vigorously over the windshield. It should help lift the rubber residue off. The higher the alcohol content, the better. Try to get 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol if you have it in your area....Target sells it for about $2 for a large bottle.

Rubbing Alcohol

No dice on the rubbing alcohol

Are they scratches? If it's only rubber residue, try acetone or nail polish remover.

I'm pretty sure they aren't scratches...will try nail polish remover.

Windshield

No luck with nail polish remover...they aren't scratches as best I can tell.

May be a last resort, I would carefully use a single edge razor blade. GL

About to try water/vinegar mix then Bon Ami before going to the razor blade.

I'm betting they are scratches. When you drag your fingernail across them and you will be able to tell.

I have used a very fine polishing compound with a rag with great results, but that's if you are removing marks that haven't damaged the glass like aluminum and plastic. Takes a bit of elbow grease.

If they are scratches a bit of advice, I would not try to polish scratches out of a windshield in the wiper sweep area, as with any polishing you are removing material and in a piece of glass that will cause distortion when looking through that area. Besides, the labour involved with polishing glass is usually not worth it. You have to buy a hard felt pad and several grades of polishing compound, constantly spraying water on the area to keep it wet... I usually would recommend changing the windshield or waiting until it was necessary to change it.

Post a couple pics if you can.

When I scratch it with my fingernail it's smooth so I'm thinking its not a scratch.

Save yourself the aggravation and use a razor blade. :thumbsup:

Ok so not much luck with a razor blade either....will try the Bon Ami tomorrow. It may just be something I have to live with.

Generally if the blades aren't changed, they dry out and after a while of using them like this, if instills micro scratches into your windshield. I have found on a few of my detailing sites, that compounding it with 2 or 3 different compounds (finer as you go) will hopefully fix the issue.

Try fine steel wool with bar keepers soap

hmmm, I've always just used vinegar and a scotch-brite pad. If that doesn't take it up, then it is scratched and should just be replaced. You can't always feel those scratches with your fingernail... Besides, rubber residue leaves a ridge too.

The worst stuff to get off is old rain-X. It leaves marks in the wiper area, and takes all kinds of elbow grease to get off. I hate even seeing that stuff in stores.

I agree with you on the rain x. i spent two days on a windshield when i started out in detail at a dealership.

Old rain-x? Please explain. I apply it every 6 months to all our cars with no issues. Always holds up great too.

Old rain-x? Please explain. I apply it every 6 months to all our cars with no issues. Always holds up great too.

It leaves a residue on your windshield, and after you stop using it regularly, it gets hazy. Regularly re-applying it works, since it fills in the parts where the coating has worn down. It is much worse though in states that freeze.

Update...I talked with an "expert" about the scratches today. He told me they are scratches, he said I should talk to a glass place to see if they are too deep to buff/polish out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back