• Register Today It's free!

91-94 Bumper Guard Plans?????

FarmageddonNRO

Reaction score
City, State
Anaconda MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
I have scoured the internet as many of you out there have, looking for a simple grill guard, the kind without the headlight brush guards that basically covers just your grill with two horizontal tubes, top one you can mount two fog lights on. Not one company out there makes these anymore, and finding one on Ebay is hardly an option. Based on how simple of a design it is, it should be simple enough to make our own. Does anyone out there have the exact specs and sizes of one? I am looking for the kind that curves under the bumper and bolts right to the frame. I have a friend in Wisconsin who owns a custom shop, I'm actually going to speak with him soon about making one for me, and also making kits for others to buy. So, the first thing I need are plans, dimensions, specs, ideas, etc. Please feel free to post up pics of yours, or suggestions you might have. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The parts that attach to the bumper are just flat steel with two tabs for the bolts. The middle tubes are just metal tubing with tacked in end pieces that have been threaded for the bolts to put it together.

You could grab some big cardboard boxes and cut them up, making your own templates for the side pieces, incorporating a lower section that goes underneath and attaches to the frame.

I'd think it would be pretty easy to improve on that design, and you can just get your own measurements from that, or give your friend the cardboard templates you make to build the pieces from. Cut the tubing to fit perfectly between the side pieces and either weld them on or weld in nuts on either end for some big bolts, drill the holes on the sides, put it all together and there you go.

Go to a salvage yard and look around there. I got mine off an 80's Ranger and it mounts to the bumper. It cost me $50, but it could be cheaper where you live

my rear bumber is almost rusted through he ha I can believe they don't tie these bumpers in better much less to say that a couple brackets are the only thing protecting your radiator
what about tow points also two nice rings tied into the frame anything tied into the frame?
I already have to adjust a bumper out of alignment that is if its possible

IF you are going to "tie" anything to the front frame rails, make darn sure that it also connects AND re-enforces the rails, as there is nothing for support out there. The first crossmember is under the engine!

I have one made by Hooker on my truck. I can make some templates from the sides for you.

Mitch

same yea tow rings reinforcement same symptoms rear bumper rot ive seen a nice tube build and one with a gas can rack but it looks to impede the rear hatch .... a perpendicular
cross member to reinforce?

Back