• Register Today It's free!

Looking at an 03 Sport Trac

obie

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac 4x4
So, I've been wanting to get another Explorer for a while, specifically an 02-05 ST. I found a really nice 03 on Auto Trader.

File0_076252_800600_zps01e52c54.jpg

I do have a few questions though. Which transfer case do the electronic shift 4x4s use, is it the BW4405? Also, from what I've gathered, the front and rear suspension/axles of the STs are the exact same as the 2nd gen explorers, right? Cause I have an entire stock suspension as spare parts from my restoration, so I don't have to worry about buying parts if those go bad. Third, the 5R55E trans. Does this have the same problems the third gen Explorers have? I plan on getting a trans flush and undercoat done as soon as I get the truck, so that should help keep things running smooth and rust free for a while.

Fourth and most important: SAS this one? I'm dumping boatloads of money into strengthening the IFS on my second gen, but this one I want a Dana 44 and 35s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the drivetrain (axles) are the same yes stanadard cut gear dana 35 IFS front and ford 8.8 rear, i believe its the 4405 differential dont quote me on that though, the 5r55e is known to have a 2-3 flare shift though personally i haven't had that issue. as for the solid axle swap its been done on these trucks and there are a few members mid swap or building up to it. i cant remember their names but i am sure they will chime in

Well, I bought it! Just got back from driving it home, and I'm in looooooove. So glad I decided to jump on this now.

2013-05-17180157_zps9fd55877.jpg

So, a couple features:

86k miles
4.10 with limited slip diff
Two tone leather seats, heated/power driver and pass
Bed cap
No hitch, but does have the aux trans cooler
Super clean engine
RUST FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

A few things that need attention:

Needs new shocks, they make a metal screeching sound going over big bumps. Luckily I have all four from my other Explorer that are basically brand new sitting at the body shop. Free fix!
Has a few minor paint flaws, small chips and other scratches that have been touched up
Body mounts rotted

Things I'm gonna do... eventually:

Put my Serious Explorations license plate frame on
Replace the IFS components with heavier duty bits
Aries Grille Guard (Made in Canada)
Poly body mount bushings & 3" body lift too
285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx Tires (Or maybe another set of Duratracs, but I really wanna try those Coopers)
Maybe new 16" wheels

In closing, I just wanna say thanks to all you Sport Trac owner jerks with your awesome trucks that made me have to get one finally.

Nice buy.

You can get back at us by doing mods that we will decide we "must" do.

Great buy and low miles to boot. I'm looking to buy another ST for my wife and sell her '97 Mountaineer. You're lucky you bought that, I would've jumped on it and taken a road trip for it. LOL

Looks good!

I was cruising the used car lots in Des Moines this evening looking for a 2nd Gen Explorer and found 1 lot that has 3 Sport Tracs, 2 '03s and an '08. One of the '03s was a low option 5 speed. Prices - $7995 for the 101,000 mile 5 speed, $9995 for the 125,000 mile '03 and $17,995 for the 99,000 mile '08.

I would like to have a 5 speed one.

Oh, just found out that mine is considered the XLT premium, didn't even know there was anything but regular XLS and XLT. Cool :D

so what is a XLT preminum

Nice find. I am running Cooper STT's on mine and they are doing well. This is my second ST after selling my first I kept looking back here and seeing all the cool ST's on here and decided to get another one. I also plan on doing a D44, already have one from a 76 Bronco that needs to be built.

so what is a XLT preminum

According to Edmunds, it has the heated and power driver and passenger seats, unique alloy wheels, and a unique console with rear climate/radio controls. It probably has a few other small things too. It seems I also have the Premium Sport and Comfort Group packages.

I gotta say, driving this for the last two days has just been amazing. It's so great to have a vehicle this smooth, with everything working, so comfortable, and even the stereo and sound system is better than anything else I've owned. This is actually the first vehicle I've owned that was built in this millenium. So let's see, 96 Ram 1500, 79 GMC K1500, 93 Dodge Spirit (please don't ask), 98 Explorer, another 98 Explorer, and now my 03 ST. Hard to say which Ex I like better; this one or the one I'm dumping a ridiculous amount of money into.

Hopefully tomorrow I can make some time to take some light trails :D :roll:

Looks good - congrats

nice buy your welcome that us "JERKS" persuaded you now you can can join our jerkish crowd. LMAO just kidding

Haha, the worst are Midnight, Offtrac, Lono, and 01STRunner. Every time I saw pictures of their rigs I got tight in the pants and knew it was only a matter of time until I broke down and bought one. And I don't regret a penny :D

well welcome to the dark side lol

Honored to be mentioned in that crowd. It was John Rock, TxPlates, and Chad that got me.

Back