• Register Today It's free!

What to do to my Trac

jleabs

Reaction score
City, State
Dothan, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer ST
I'm a relatively new owner. I got my '03 Gold Sport Trac XLT 2wd about six months ago. I really have no idea what I want to do with it. As of now, it's mostly stock besides no running boards, I really just didn't like the look of 'em. Right now I know for a fact I'm gonna get a new head unit, it bothers me to not be able to plug in my iPod. I was also thinking about smoking the tail lights and most likely buying a bull bar. I was thinking about adding a magnaflow muffler as well. I'm staying away from a lift and big tires, since I only have a two wheel drive and plus, I drive 200 miles every other weekend so mileage kinda makes a difference for me. So what else could I do to make my trac kind of unique? Give me some suggestions if you can. I have a relatively low budget so I'm trying to keep up mostly small projects that can be accomplished in a day or so. Thanks y'all!

I'll put up a couple pics in a little while when I get some better ones than I have now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A few guys on here rock 2wd and do some pretty knarly trails. Anyway, one of the easiest mods ever is to paint all the gray cladding black. It's unbelievable the difference the color trim makes. At the bottom of my post click on the link that says Registry and you can see the differnce it made to mine. If you look at the Show off your Sport Trac thread, you'll see quite a few STs have the black cladding now.

Since you don't want to go with taller tires, you could could change your wheel and tire combo up. Maybe something a little wider? You can get a wider wheel and tire with the same diameter or you could go maybe a little larger than stock. 245/75/16s make a difference in the stance. They are narrower, but fill the wheel wells a little better and are still very close to stock.

As for the muffler I've heard good things about the magnaflow on our 4.0s. Also Dynomax Superturbo is another muffler known to be a little deeper while not deafening and raspy. Personally I just installed a flowmaster delta 44 and removed my resonator (the coffee can sized thing behind the muffler). I like the sound and it doesn't sound like a ricer nor does it have a lot of drone.

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you'll find a way to make your Trac what you want.

ok some big things to do is cat-back exhaust, programmer, intake, interior upgrades (full console, stereo speakers), tonneau (for MPG's)

Couple days of looking on this forum and you will have a never ending list of things to do. Getting bit by the mod bug gives you a very fun, and expensive disease

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to paint my cladding soon. I realized how sweet the black looks versus the gray. I might buy some black tail lights after that too match up with everything. Not sure yet...thanks for welcoming me to the site!

I like light covers look sweet only thing is throw a line of fire on at same time for safety and legality.

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 347

Ive got about 4" of lift on my 04 sport trac with 265/75/16 goodyear duratrac tires (32") and I still get 22-24 MPG on my way to phoenix which is nice and flat. I know its not a prius or anything but its pretty good for what it is. Im also able to tackle some pretty decent trails and when my locker comes in ill be that much better off.

Ive got about 4" of lift on my 04 sport trac with 265/75/16 goodyear duratrac tires (32") and I still get 22-24 MPG on my way to phoenix which is nice and flat. I know its not a prius or anything but its pretty good for what it is. Im also able to tackle some pretty decent trails and when my locker comes in ill be that much better off.

Really? 22-24? That's ridiculous man. I get about 20 on the highway with no mods and 235/70R16. But oh yeah of course it's not a prius haha, forget that. And I was thinking about maybe going with 32s. There's not as much hassle involved it seems like to me. How'd you get those 4 inches?

Really? 22-24? That's ridiculous man. I get about 20 on the highway with no mods and 235/70R16. But oh yeah of course it's not a prius haha, forget that. And I was thinking about maybe going with 32s. There's not as much hassle involved it seems like to me. How'd you get those 4 inches?

With the bigger tires you get a llittle better mileage but lose some power. On the hills I lose a lot of momentum. I also dont drive real aggresive. I dont stomp on it to pass people and keep it around 65-70 max.
The 4" of lift in the front is from 3" lift spindles and 1" torsion twist. The rear is maybe a litlle less. I hace an 1 1/2" to 2" add a leaf and warrior shackles which are 1 1/2" to 2".

You are lucky man. I get around 12 city and 16 max on the highway, and I have around 31 inch tires with a 3 inch lift. Guess it's all in the way you drive, I can't stand going slow

Do like I have done with mine. I have a gold 2001 ST and the list of modifications I've managed to add on has become large over the last 3 years (granted I had to accumulate money while still in highschool and dating and all that to do these)

First do a 2" Shackle and TT (I have 4x4 so I only can do 2") $45 I think
Paint the god awful grey trim BLACK like a boss $20
If you don't have a teaneau cover on your bed, get one (orig owner of mine lost it...) $150
Next throw up a custom built light bar $80
Then a black Grille Guard $185
Put some 285/75/r16 procomp tires in there $800
Lastly find someone talented enough to run you a Flowmaster Super 44 Single in Dual out exhaust (preferably for less than $425 lol)
------------------EDIT: And chrome tips.... Nice and shiny chrome tips........ $50

If you'd like I'll throw up some pictures and possibly a sound video tomorrow

Back