2013 air conditioned seats not cooling? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 air conditioned seats not cooling?

Robert L1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
On my Limited, the air conditioned seats only cool the bottom seats, not the backrests.

Any one else have this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my Limited, the air conditioned seats only cool the bottom seats, not the backrests.

My 2011 cools the backrests as well. You feel it most noticeably near the bottom of the backrest - the cooling effect is less pronounced higher up.

Did you end up resolving this? My 2013 Sport is doing the same thing.

Only the lower cushion is cooled.

Only the lower cushion is cooled.

Actually they are both cooled but you feel the lower cushion more due to the design of where the backrest fan is. The system can only cool to 14F below ambient inside the vehicle and each level of coolness is difficult to tell the difference. For some reason the F150 seats will freeze your coconuts off on high but other models are mediocre at best.

Actually they are both cooled but you feel the lower cushion more due to the design of where the backrest fan is. The system can only cool to 14F below ambient inside the vehicle and each level of coolness is difficult to tell the difference. For some reason the F150 seats will freeze your coconuts off on high but other models are mediocre at best.

Can you tell me where and how to get to the back rest fan. I see only the bottom seat cushion fan with filter. My wife works at Lear which builds the seats and she said there are only the lower cooling fan.

I've felt the back cooling on my '13 Sport, but sometimes I feel like no part of the seat is cooling. Just depends.
I'm thinking maybe there's a wire harness issue because sometimes I hear the seat fan run and sometimes I don't.

the sport is the same as my raptor, I feel the bottom part cool really fast, the back part doesn't cool as well. if you arch your back out away from the seat a little bit you'll feel it almost instantly, but as soon as you press your back into the seat back again it doesn't feel as cool as the seat bottom part.

Can you tell me where and how to get to the back rest fan. I see only the bottom seat cushion fan with filter. My wife works at Lear which builds the seats and she said there are only the lower cooling fan.

Since this site won't allow me to attach PDF's I can email you the page from the Ford workshop manual showing the backrest TED (thermo electric device). I can also send you the description and operation page from the same manual which specifically says there is a seat cushion TED and a backrest TED in each front seat. Both are controlled by the seat climate control module located under the front passenger seat.

You can access the seatback TED by removing the leather seatback covering. It will have a black flexible hose running towards the bottom of the seat which is the TED exhaust.

Ok..my e mail is jchudd@comcast.net thanks. I know that the cooled seats on my MKS are way better than the Explorer.

Hi everybody!

If you're having an issue with your seats, I want to do what I can to help. Of course, your dealership is a great first stop; I can assist by getting your regional customer service managers looped in as well. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

Crystal

Hi everybody!

If you're having an issue with your seats, I want to do what I can to help. Of course, your dealership is a great first stop; I can assist by getting your regional customer service managers looped in as well. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

Crystal
I think all I need to fix my 'seat' is some diet and exercise.:D:thumbsup:

Peter

Mine only cool the bottom cushion as well. Didn't realize that they were supposed to cool the back also as I have never felt it do so. Of course it makes sense that it should though. Now I guess I will have to go to my dealer to look into this further and if they can't help, I will send you my info, Crystal.

Back