2016 Cooled Seats | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Cooled Seats

Yeah, wow, going to have to go to Ford service to look into this as mine was built in Jan 12th, 2016. I hope they stop giving me a run around and stop being clueless. As to my understanding, the back middle part is suppose to cool also...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My seatbacks did not get cool, took the car to dealer with the TSB and they ordered the new parts without even looking at the seats. Parts should arrive and be scheduled for installion next week.

My seatbacks did not get cool, took the car to dealer with the TSB and they ordered the new parts without even looking at the seats. Parts should arrive and be scheduled for installion next week.

The TSB made nearly zero difference for me, had to do the aftermarket kit noted to get performance near what I thought it should have.

fordseatfix

Haven't used the cooling feature yet in my '17, but the seat backs definitely get warm in addition to the seat.

...re-added photos unlinked by Photobucket... (above)

This thread is about 7 months old - and I'm not sure if my issue applies to it or not - I think it does:

My 2016 Limited has the cooled seats. Living in Arizona, it's an option I LOVE having (just like having the heated seats and heated steering wheel in the winter when it's 30 degrees (and my steering wheel gets hot all the way around - noticed some people saying that only parts of it heat. I use it a lot, it helps with my getting-old-man-hands arthritis!). I've had the car coming up on 2 years in Oct. The cooled seats have always worked GREAT in the summer. Turn them on Level 3 and eventually need to go down a notch, sometimes 2. And the lower part of my seat-back does blow cold or hot.

I'll now have to put that in past tense - the seats USED to blow cold/hot from the cushion and seat back. I noticed about a month ago that my seat wasn't getting cold anymore. I put my hand under my thigh and nope - no air coming out. It was the same on both front seats. About a week after noticing this, they worked again for a trip (both seats), and now they've gone out again and have not worked in several weeks.

If I turn the stereo off and the A/C blower down, when I push the Cooled Seat button, I can hear the fan turn on in my seat - but no air coming out at all. I thought perhaps there was a filter or something that clogged, which is why I came here to look.

I tried clicking on the TSB cwescapexlt4x4 linked in his post and it doesn't allow me access. I need to take the car in soon for maintenance and I'd like to know the whole scoop on this "cooled seat" issue before I go.

Any new info on this? Suggestions? Advice?

This thread is about 7 months old - and I'm not sure if my issue applies to it or not - I think it does:

My 2016 Limited has the cooled seats. Living in Arizona, it's an option I LOVE having (just like having the heated seats and heated steering wheel in the winter when it's 30 degrees (and my steering wheel gets hot all the way around - noticed some people saying that only parts of it heat. I use it a lot, it helps with my getting-old-man-hands arthritis!). I've had the car coming up on 2 years in Oct. The cooled seats have always worked GREAT in the summer. Turn them on Level 3 and eventually need to go down a notch, sometimes 2. And the lower part of my seat-back does blow cold or hot.

I'll now have to put that in past tense - the seats USED to blow cold/hot from the cushion and seat back. I noticed about a month ago that my seat wasn't getting cold anymore. I put my hand under my thigh and nope - no air coming out. It was the same on both front seats. About a week after noticing this, they worked again for a trip (both seats), and now they've gone out again and have not worked in several weeks.

If I turn the stereo off and the A/C blower down, when I push the Cooled Seat button, I can hear the fan turn on in my seat - but no air coming out at all. I thought perhaps there was a filter or something that clogged, which is why I came here to look.

I tried clicking on the TSB cwescapexlt4x4 linked in his post and it doesn't allow me access. I need to take the car in soon for maintenance and I'd like to know the whole scoop on this "cooled seat" issue before I go.

Any new info on this? Suggestions? Advice?
I did find the official TSB online and printed it out. Might come in handy.

I did find the official TSB online and printed it out. Might come in handy.
If you are referring to TSB 16-0080 it is listed in our TSB thread; 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's It applies to the seat back not cooling, not the cushion. Not sure if there is a link between the two parts.

Peter

Figured I would add to this thread about my seat back cooling experience on my 2016 Sport. Have dealt with two dealerships including Ford to address this issue for several months. The first dealership did not implement the TSB correctly. The second dealership seems to have resolved the issue as best as can be without the aftermarket fix. They should be replacing the seat back blowers with the same part that is in the seat bottoms. This is the first time I have really noticed a difference. Also, the pocket area on the back of the seat only gets slightly warm to warm as opposed to very hot like it did. For reference, the part number they should be installing is GU5Z19N550 in both seats. Hope this helps anyone still fighting this issue and if this has been posted elsewhere I apologize, but I have been a long time lurker and haven't seen it referenced specifically other than mention of the TSB 16-0080.

Also, I fully expect the seat backs to stop cooling the next time I try them :), but hope I am wrong!

I'm starting to question the cooling of my seat backs of my 17. I swear I never have issues with heating but cooling, particularly today, I didn't feel the back cool at all. The seat itself cooled nicely. I've seen so many varying opinions as to whether the backs should cool or not. I'm thinking yes as I'm pretty they heat up when I used them during the winter. Any updates on this?

I'm starting to question the cooling of my seat backs of my 17. I swear I never have issues with heating but cooling, particularly today, I didn't feel the back cool at all. The seat itself cooled nicely. I've seen so many varying opinions as to whether the backs should cool or not. I'm thinking yes as I'm pretty they heat up when I used them during the winter. Any updates on this?

The seat backs never worked when I had the EX, even after they replaced the motors.
But the butt section works too well, even in the lowest setting.

That's insane! Although not surprising that Ford still has yet to put out a fix for the seat heaters that don't start up when the car is remote started. I guess I'll reach out to Ford and see what they can do if anything.

That's insane! Although not surprising that Ford still has yet to put out a fix for the seat heaters that don't start up when the car is remote started. I guess I'll reach out to Ford and see what they can do if anything.
With remote start and HVAC set to Auto, seat heaters appear to come ON at a very low temp and then once you press the Start/Stop button they will come on full (3 bars). That's normal. This was discussed in the appropriate thread.

Peter

With remote start and HVAC set to Auto, seat heaters appear to come ON at a very low temp and then once you press the Start/Stop button they will come on full (3 bars). That's normal. This was discussed in the appropriate thread.

Peter

That's not what I'm talking about. There is a known Ford TSB for faulty heated seats not appropriately turning on all components of the seat heaters, and additionally at lower power then what they should be. Yes, even once the start button is hit the 3 lights light up, the seats still don't heat up correctly. Ford is still working on a fix.

That's not what I'm talking about. There is a known Ford TSB for faulty heated seats not appropriately turning on all components of the seat heaters, and additionally at lower power then what they should be. Yes, even once the start button is hit the 3 lights light up, the seats still don't heat up correctly. Ford is still working on a fix.

Your seats use cabin air to heat and cool. They have a Teds unit in them that depending on which why you run current though them, they heat or cool. So when you first turn them on they may not heat or cool right away.

As for a fix. I used the Seatguru kit. It has a new cover for the Teds unit and a way to exhaust the hot air coming off the Teds unit to the floor. https://seatguru.wixsite.com/fordseatfix

Ford does not really have a fix. I have seen some home made kits that do the same thing.

......... Yes, even once the start button is hit the 3 lights light up, the seats still don't heat up correctly. Ford is still working on a fix.
FYI, once the 3 bars light up on mine I have to turn the setting to 1 bar after about 5 minutes as the seat gets too hot so not everyone has the issue. Getting back on track, the only cooled seats that impressed me were the ones in my 2011. The 2017, not so much, but then I rarely use them.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adding to an old thread. Are all explorers wired for this? If I was to put these Ted units in my seat and get the oem switches would it work on a car that didn’t come with them?

Back