MAGNAFLOW for SPORT...hows the noise?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAGNAFLOW for SPORT...hows the noise??

thePUNISHER

Reaction score
City, State
Ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 sport
those of you with the magnaflow system on your SPORT...hows the drone?? system looks nice but i really dont want something that gets annoying...my wife drives this truck most of the time......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the videos on their website are horrible. so much camera noise you can't get any true indication of how it truly sounds.

past searching has yielded that the magnaflow is not a true plug and play, you have to cut the exhaust after the cats to install the magnaflow catback, and if you have a trailer tow package you have to cut off and reweld on the muffler hanger on one side, it's only intended for non-towing package models. Not a huge deal, but just something else to consider.

I've debated on getting the roush axleback from our 5.0 that we traded cut up and installed on the Sport. Have a muffler shop do the pipes from the cats back to the mufflers, and use the roush muffler/tips off the 5.0 axleback. Since the pipes are a fairly straight shot it shouldn't be too hard. I just don't want to drop the money if it's going to drone or sound ricey, then have the axleback cut up and not able to sell it to another mustang owner.

My sport does not have the tow package...i remember the thread youre talking about....my fear is the drone inside the cab......thats my #1 concern.....

There is a pretty good drone from it. My wife hates it. It is a bit annoying but it sounds great outside, so everyone tells me. I have read that in 5k miles it gets much better since the computers learns more by them and things change supposedly.

Magnaflow changes tone due to the insulation inside burning in. I have the magnaflow system on my 11' harley f150 with the 6.2 and it got just a little louder after a couple thousand miles but the drone didn't change. There was very little drone and this is the reason I went with the magnaflow as I had just the mufflers replaced with flowmaster s and the drone was terrible so this is why I switched. I'm also curious for the explorer as I'm interested in this for my wife's sport.

Thanks.... Anyone else?? I thought a bunch of guys had this system on their sport....

I spoke with Magnaflow just yesterday and they have fixed the exhaust for Sports with hitches.....so that issue is over with.

I would like to hear a video inside and out as well.

Anyone willing to do that?

If it's anything like the Mustang, it will be way too much drone, especially for the wife...been there done that. Whatever you do, save the factory axel backs/parts etc.. I'm betting they will go back on after your remember your not 16 again.....best regards Plum

I will try and get some good videos and sound clips as I have the exhaust and injen intake. I also have db meter app in my iPhone I will get a reading of the drone from in the car. It will take me a few days to put it all together.

Had the same question. Most of the people complaining of drone have naturally aspirated engines. Trying to find out if the same happens to the Sport with a couple of turbos upstream changing the resonance.

Had the same question. Most of the people complaining of drone have naturally aspirated engines. Trying to find out if the same happens to the Sport with a couple of turbos upstream changing the resonance.

Exactly.... All the drone issues Ive read about were on non turbo explorers....

yeah thats what I was curious about as well. Turbos act as mufflers themselves. My wife's old '05 SRT-4 neon didn't have mufflers at all, from the factory, and it had barely any drone and a really nice deep tone.

Somebody with a sport buy the new magnaflow and post a good sound clip of it with a camera that isn't 99% wind noise and camera noise lol

I know vehicles with cargo and passenger compartments that are connected like hatchbacks and SUVs are more prone to drone since they are shaped like a giant bass drum. I have a cat less turbo back exhaust with magnaflow muffler on my Jetta 1.8t and sounds great. Very throaty growl when I step on it and mild mannered when I take it easy. No drone either but again it has a turbo upstream. Somebody has to have one of these on a sport.

So I've had the Magnaflow installed and running for the past 8000 kms and it is pretty loud. I like the sound too, but its pretty noisy inside. My wife hates it though. Having thoughts to remove it now just because the sound of the wife complaining is worse than the sound of the exhaust. Hope that helps haha

Does it drone at constant speeds or is it just loud when you step on it?

Back