What is this ugly HOOK? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this ugly HOOK?

FIND,
nice compilation ! can u do that on all these long threads so Ican read the cliff notes version ?!? :)
thanks !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Folks, I never plan to be taking it offroad. I'm not in casting for Buckwild....besides I heard that show got canceled. I plan to keep my baby on the road.

Do you wear your seatbelt? Probably. If so, do you plan on crashing? Probably not- but you want to have it just in case.

The tow hook is the same thing.

That is not a tow hook! Its a tie down look at it its what 3/8 maybe 5/16 round stock. I can tell from experience with the ones that came on second gens if you are stuck and pull on this thing it will bend and most likely screw something up. They are strong enough for moving one on a smooth free rolling surface but then again so is the plastic bumper but not in an actual "stuck" situation.

Folks, I never plan to be taking it offroad. I'm not in casting for Buckwild....besides I heard that show got canceled. I plan to keep my baby on the road.

Dont worry... You will see the rest of the cast on Cops in the next couple of years. :D

Wait, you live in Florida, you have 4wd and plan on staying on the road........ Why do you have 4wd drive again?

The Sport is more tuned to a track than a trail...

@ jamers99, it seems that the recovery hook is not overly visible, although since it bothers you, it probably feels like a glaring wart. As others have said, should something happen and you need a tow, to pull the Ex up onto a flatbed from the back, they are going to hook the cable up to that point (this is something that could happen even sitting in a parking lot). Leaving it is best approach, unless you have another hard point to attach a recovery cable to...

Folks, I never plan to be taking it offroad.

I was in a dirt parking lot at a camp ground. It rained like crazy.
*shrugs*

As was said previously the Recovery Hook (Ford's name) only comes if you do not get the Tow Package

wAuwF.gif

HAHA, im not a star trek fan but I want to hang with Patrick Stewart for a day.

Drove through my dealer the other day and they had a black sport there, no hook on the back.

this thread just made my logging in today worth while...

You don't need to saw it off. This piece can be removed with a 18mm socket and a breaker bar. There are three bolts attaching it to the vehicle. However as you indicated, the muffler hangs of this piece so if you remove it, you will need to replace it with a muffler hanger similar to the one on the passenger side muffler.

I wish they put it on both sides though to even the look out.

I agree. I dont think it looks bad - it just a little bracket underneath.

I test mounted my 17' Canoe on the new 2013 Explorer we have and I cant find a good spot in the rear center to tie it down.

Got a nice Yakima Canoe mount kit that fits tha factory crossbars that works awesome - but there is just nowhere to tie it down at the very rear besides that recovery hook that is way off to the left.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas I would love to hear them. The reality is using the recovery hook to tie dow the rear wil probably be fine - it is tied down quite securely to the roof rack and under the front as well. I just may have to add a ratcheting tie down from the rear roof rack mounts to one of the front canoe thwarts that would protect it from pitching forward in a sudden stop. I always really want it solid when I am taking it on a several hundred mile trip.

The rear air foil is just in the way for me - sort of wish it wasnt even there - makes this more difficult.

I didn't even notice the recovery hook until I was trying to attached a rear bumper guard and noticed the installation picture didn't match what I was seeing. It also made it incompatible with the rear bumper guard unless I take the recovery hook out.

I have 4WD drive, I don't need a hook.

I know this is old, but I just LOVE that quote!

I tell my kids (when they take off to go "play" in the Jeep)... 4WD doesn't mean you can't get stuck... it just means you CAN get stuck MUCH farther away from help!

So far, the only time I've had to rescue them, I was able to get to them with the Excursion... There's no way the Excursion could get to the places I'VE had the Jeep. :)

All the more evidence the Ex is going away from being an off-road vehicle.

I don't have the tow package, but I have the recovery hook on the back, which is nice. Would be nice to have one in the front, instead of the screw in one where you pop the circular little cover (which is standard on most cars - my Saab has one and my old BMW also had one) to pull from the front.

I drive beaches a lot, and depending on how someone gets stuck (with my experience getting stuck is very rare, but you should always be prepared so I always have tow ropes, shovel, etc. - and I can always help others who are stuck), it is often best to have someone pull you out from one side as opposed to the other, so beach drivers should have recovery hooks on both sides.

The Ex technically does with this screw in one on the front, but I'd prefer a dedicated one on the front coming out from under the bumper.

All the more evidence the Ex is going away from being an off-road vehicle.

I don't have the tow package, but I have the recovery hook on the back, which is nice. Would be nice to have one in the front, instead of the screw in one where you pop the circular little cover (which is standard on most cars - my Saab has one and my old BMW also had one) to pull from the front.

I drive beaches a lot, and depending on how someone gets stuck (with my experience getting stuck is very rare, but you should always be prepared so I always have tow ropes, shovel, etc. - and I can always help others who are stuck), it is often best to have someone pull you out from one side as opposed to the other, so beach drivers should have recovery hooks on both sides.

The Ex technically does with this screw in one on the front, but I'd prefer a dedicated one on the front coming out from under the bumper.
There has been quite a bit of discussion on the rear 'hook' and the consensus opinion was that it is not a tow hook but a tie down used during transportation/delivery of the vehicle. This was reached when it was discovered that not all Explorers had this 'hook'. I suppose it can be used for towing but I'm not sure how securely it is attached.

Peter

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the rear 'hook' and the consensus opinion was that it is not a tow hook but a tie down used during transportation/delivery of the vehicle. This was reached when it was discovered that not all Explorers had this 'hook'. I suppose it can be used for towing but I'm not sure how securely it is attached.

Peter

I'll have to get under and take a look at how securely it is attached. My guess now is not well. My Escape had nothing for recovery - except the front screw on piece, so I added a small bolt-on class II tow package to it. Won't tow much (I don't tow anything as is) but the purpose was to get it pulled out of the sand if I got stuck.

I'll have to get under and take a look at how securely it is attached. My guess now is not well. My Escape had nothing for recovery - except the front screw on piece, so I added a small bolt-on class II tow package to it. Won't tow much (I don't tow anything as is) but the purpose was to get it pulled out of the sand if I got stuck.

I took a look under the Ex at the rear recovery hook. It appears secure enough to me to recover from being stuck in soft sand. It's welded to a strong metal piece that is bolted to the frame with two large bolts. I would not haul the Ex up a steep hill on that recovery hook, but a pull out of soft sand on level terrain if stuck should be fine. I'd say it is also fine to haul a broken down Ex onto a flatbed (someone would have to steer as it is off to the left ).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recovery Hook

I have a 2013 X and I am wondering if you have the Tow Package, would you also have or should you have a Recovery Hook in the rear? Thanks Steve..:salute:

Back