• Register Today It's free!

Build quality on my 2014 Limited.

seawolf

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
I've had the vehicle for about 3 weeks. Noticed some cosmetic issues with the car. Overall satisfy with the 2014 Limited.
What I dislike
  • The paint job is poor.
    1. The passenger side 2nd row have areas without paint (the lines following the shape of the wheel well). This was delivered in this condition. The left hand side of the image suffers from glare but there is a similar missing paint in that area.
      IMG_1490.jpg

2. The channel under the roof rails on the driver side.
      IMG_1492.jpg

3. The passenger channel is normal.
      IMG_1491.jpg

4. Another shot
      IMG_1494.jpg
  • Powerfold 3rd row prone to accidental activation.
  • Can’t turn off parking sensors by default
  • Exhaust smell issue with high RPMs.
  • No storage compartment (with door) in the back.
  • Placement of weatherstripping seam. On the Acura, the seam was placed in a less visible location (by the hinge of the door/tailgate).
    IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

I guess the small details is what separates a luxury brand from the rest.

What I like compared with a 2008 MDX:
  • The extra room in 3rd row.
  • Power fold side mirrors
  • Rear view camera useable immediately (MDX took about 10+ seconds to “boot up”)
  • Active parking lines.
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • LATCH in one seat in the 3rd row.
  • Overhead air vents in 2nd/3rd rows.
  • No fuel cap.
  • Bluetooth (MDX Bluetooth wouldn’t activate if the call was initialized on the phone)
  • 2nd row fold down on both driver and passenger side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rubber seals all around are sub par. They're the same on the 2013.

Its amazing how the little things annoy owners who take pride in their vehicle. The Chicago Assembly Plant has worked hard to improve quality bigtime but still stuff gets through.

I agree these seems could be hidden or removed all together, at least have them fitted better.

My 13 Limited came delivered with a dimple in the tailgate like somebody banged it from the inside and they painted it anyway and sent it out the door.

We had some Interceptors show up with two plastic hubcaps on the passenger side and chrome center caps on the drivers side. How does that make it out past QC Supervisors?

It looks like they failed to remove the blue plastic shipping covers from your sill plats during the pre-delivery inspection. There is no rear storage compartment w/door because you wanted a Limited. They put the subwoofer in there on the Limited and Sport! If you got an XLT you would have gotten your storage compartment!

Poor Excuse

They put the subwoofer in there on the Limited and Sport! If you got an XLT you would have gotten your storage compartment!

Getting the more expensive Limited shouldnt reduce storage space. It boggles my mind that an SUV (U stands of Utility) doesnt have a compartment in the back where one could store items suchs as a pair of gloves, flares, small first aid kit, small umbrella, rope, tools, etc.

If they knew the subwoofer would replace the storage compartment on the pass side they should have designed one for the driver side as well. It seems like the 3rd Row folding buttons could have easily been place somewhere else to make room for it. Oh, and i still cant believe they havent redesigned the 3rd buttons so they cant accidentally be pressed. Come on Ford. Its been 3 years already.

I'm waiting for a law suit to occur for when the buttons get triggered and the unfolding seats knock over a 5 gallon jug of fuel or chemicals essentially ruining the interior.

I've had the vehicle for about 3 weeks. Noticed some cosmetic issues with the car...

Hi seawolf,

I want to make your regional customer service manager aware of your concerns so they can get them addressed. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work on this for you.

Crystal

There is no room in the drivers side as that entire space is taken up by the rear heating and air conditioning system!

The paint in picture one to me is unaccepatble, where exactly are the pictures 2,3 and 4 in the door seam like 1? I cant tell exaclty?

The paint in picture one to me is unaccepatble, where exactly are the pictures 2,3 and 4 in the door seam like 1? I cant tell exaclty?

The rest of the paint pictures are on the roof (under the roof rail).

Poor Paint

I had the inside of two doors and the outside of the tail gate on a 2013 Limited due to poor paint quality. You really have to question the if the employees inspecting the completed vehicles care at all.

I had the inside of two doors and the outside of the tail gate on a 2013 Limited due to poor paint quality. You really have to question the if the employees inspecting the completed vehicles care at all.

Hi mcgilmore,

Have your paint concerns been resolved? If not, reach out to me via PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) so I can look into this for you.

Crystal

Getting the more expensive Limited shouldnt reduce storage space. It boggles my mind that an SUV (U stands of Utility) doesnt have a compartment in the back where one could store items suchs as a pair of gloves, flares, small first aid kit, small umbrella, rope, tools, etc.

It's more of a crossover nowadays than a SUV. You can store stuff under driver's seat, or under the rear seat. Most of those things look typical to me but those paint problems are unacceptable...that isn't normal for an Explorer

welcome to the club

We bought a FORD and I guess the name speaks for itself. Expect the expected. But I still love my ex.

Back