Child Seat Configuration for 3

mikerod87

Reaction score
City, State
Sofla
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Escape XLT
I am in the market for a new EX.

I have a 2 year old and twins on the way. I want to order the XLT and would prefer the 2nd row bucket seats in order to put the 2 year old in the 3rd row.

If I place the three child seats abreast on the 2nd row bench seat it renders the 3rd row useless.

Can I order 2nd row bucket seats on a XLT as a special order? or do I have to go up to the Limited. The Limited is more than I want to spend and may force me to another vehicle with 2nd row bucket seats.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or, you could break down and buy a minivan. :)

I have a 2 year old and twins on the way. I want to order the XLT and would prefer the 2nd row bucket seats in order to put the 2 year old in the 3rd row.

If I place the three child seats abreast on the 2nd row bench seat it renders the 3rd row useless.

Can I order 2nd row bucket seats on a XLT as a special order? or do I have to go up to the Limited. The Limited is more than I want to spend and may force me to another vehicle with 2nd row bucket seats.
Why can't you put the two infant seats on the "60" part of the 60/40 bench and still put the third seat in the third row? Seems to me there is an advantage in that the 40 seat would serve as access to the third row and then, when down, could also seat a person who could administer the needs of the infants. I guess the only drawback I see is that the 40 seat is on the street side of the car when parked in parallel spaces, but I think you would have the same situation with 2nd row buckets anyway.

I would just get the 60/40 because with 2 rear facing car seats, you will not be able to fold down the seat to access the 3rd row. In fact the only way to do it would be to put your infants in the 60 part of a 60/40 and the 2 year old in the 3rd row, if you still wanted to use the other 2 seats. not practical to use every day though as the 2 year old still has to have someone strap them in and out. and in the 3rd row you would have to climb back there everyday. There going to have to be all in the 2nd row, and yes then you will lose the 3rd row on a daily basis. But still have the option to move them

Currently you have to go up to the limited. That may or may not change in 2012 which is suppose to ship in Aug... But right now you can't get bucket seats in the 2nd row.

This being said. If you tell a dealer that you are price motivated and can't go above X you may be able to get it for lower. Can I ask what you are looking to spend? You might want to check out www.truecar.com Play around with the options and see if you can get to a price that works for you.

Also make sure you order a brochure in the mail from ford.. many people are getting a coupon for $750 off of their purchases of a new explorer.

In my area on truecar.com I was able to find a local price of $36,791 including the limited and 2nd row bucket seats (which includes the 301a package). This was for a FWD limited... only options were the 301a and the bucket seats.. That's pretty much the sticker price of many XLT's...

Very helpful comments and THANK YOU.

My wife and I do not want to go to a mini-van(the thought is nauseating). This will be her car.

With the 60/40 split(2 in the middle seat and 1 in the 3rd row) if my wife is alone with 3 little ones trying to administer the seats by jumping to the 3rd row with the split all of the time with her hands full doesn't work(flipping the seat). Or she might be able to leave the 40 up all of the time and crawl into the 3rd row. Not sure? have to look at it closer.

Also one of my parents works for Ford and I will be getting a D or X plan vehicle which helps in getting the best price. I am not sure how much that will save me and am working on that. I am guessing $3-$5k.

I am wondering if its better to wait until August b/c a lot of times you get more for your money by moving up to the next years package.

My wife and I do not want to go to a mini-van(the thought is nauseating). This will be her car.

With the 60/40 split(2 in the middle seat and 1 in the 3rd row) if my wife is alone with 3 little ones trying to administer the seats by jumping to the 3rd row with the split all of the time with her hands full doesn't work(flipping the seat). Or she might be able to leave the 40 up all of the time and crawl into the 3rd row. Not sure? have to look at it closer.

Also one of my parents works for Ford and I will be getting a D or X plan vehicle which helps in getting the best price. I am not sure how much that will save me and am working on that. I am guessing $3-$5k.

I am wondering if its better to wait until August b/c a lot of times you get more for your money by moving up to the next years package.

The only really big change for 2012 model year is the addition of the Ecoboost 4 cyl. Other than that I don't see them making any model / option changes due to the very short turnaround time between the 2011 and 2012 models. Also the 2011 year will be a short run. You could save money on a 2011 probably if you wait till July to try and buy one with orders for 2012 probably being placed at the beginning of July for shipment in August.

Speaking as a mom, I highly recommend a minivan over the Explorer in your case. Sorry. :( All my friends with 3+ kids who finally break down, kicking and screaming, and get one are beaming the next day. Really. Even the ones who swore they'd never get one. It's just so easy to get kids in and out. When my oldest was two and my second an infant in the car seat, I would've sold my soul for dual, automatic sliding doors where my 2 year old could have climbed in by herself. Especially when bogged down with groceries. With twin infants, I would have found a way to make it happen. Honestly. And, I despise minivans with the best of them, too. Then, in just a matter of years you'll be carpooling. With three kids, that could be three extra friends and now you have six kids in the car. Your wife, will be MUCH happier with the van because it will make her life easier. Who isn't happier when their life with kids is easier b/c that life isn't easy. Can you wait until after the twins are born then rent a minivan for a few days to see how easy it is? I think it will change your mind. Plus, some of these minivans are really nice on the inside.

That said, if you still get the Ex, you may want to try what it's like to buckle your older one in via the back hatch. I know a lot of women who do it that way b/c it's easier than climbing in.

Good luck with your car purchase!

Speaking as a mom, I highly recommend a minivan over the Explorer in your case. Sorry. :( All my friends with 3+ kids who finally break down, kicking and screaming, and get one are beaming the next day. Really. Even the ones who swore they'd never get one. It's just so easy to get kids in and out. When my oldest was two and my second an infant in the car seat, I would've sold my soul for dual, automatic sliding doors where my 2 year old could have climbed in by herself. Especially when bogged down with groceries. With twin infants, I would have found a way to make it happen. Honestly. And, I despise minivans with the best of them, too. Then, in just a matter of years you'll be carpooling. With three kids, that could be three extra friends and now you have six kids in the car. Your wife, will be MUCH happier with the van because it will make her life easier. Who isn't happier when their life with kids is easier b/c that life isn't easy. Can you wait until after the twins are born then rent a minivan for a few days to see how easy it is? I think it will change your mind. Plus, some of these minivans are really nice on the inside.

That said, if you still get the Ex, you may want to try what it's like to buckle your older one in via the back hatch. I know a lot of women who do it that way b/c it's easier than climbing in.

Good luck with your car purchase!

I totally agree with Gabella, a minivan would make your life much easier with 3 kids under 2. We had a Honda Odyssey minivan when our kids were little and it was a godsend. They are in the same price range as the EX and actually can be cheaper depending on options. I debated on getting another minivan or going with the EX because the van had so much people moving and utility/cargo space available, it was a hard choice. Now that my kids are older, we are changing over to the EX because I fell in love with it, but there are still things I'll miss about the van.

I would recommend the bench second row and put two in the second row and a third in the third row. A bonus is that someone else can actually ride in the car with your whole family if they need to, which won't be an option with the 2nd row bucket seats. Also, have you tried the second row buckets? It isn't exactly easy to crawl between the second and third row. My parents had an expedition with the second row buckets and it was a real pain, especially if an adult wanted to ride with you, then they had a heck of a time crawling to the third row.

We have a minivan (Odyssey) and love it. If you have twins, think double strollers, double toys, double everything, plus something for your current little one. You can't beat a minivan, and the new Odyssey really looks nice. We're getting an Explorer because we have the minivan that can fit 8 plus lots of baggage if needed. If you need 4-wheel drive, then you'd have to look at the Sienna. Also, to the comment on buckling in from the cargo area, I can't tell you how often we have our 4 year old climb into his boost in the back, then jump into the (sunken) cargo area and while standing inside, reach over and buckle seat-belts, get toys/gadgets all laid out for a trip.

Other things you can do in a minivan that you won't be able to in another vehicle is if one of the middle-row seats are removed (or tumbled into the floor - way cool option on the caravan/t&c), is that you could have a space on the floor to change a diaper or two on the go. With twins, you are guaranteed to need to do this. Plenty of room to sit and have a snack on the (side) of the road while traveling. Plenty of room to sit and nurse/feed a baby or two while parked when out and about. Lots of rooms for baby things. Those double-strollers are big! Or, maybe triple stroller in your case? If you travel to family, you'll want the space for all the stuff.

Look I'm getting the Ex b/c I think it's a great car. I only have two little monkeys and they are a bit older. So, it's not that I think that the Ex isn't great. It is. Just not for your stage of life. It's hard to imagine what it'll be like from where you are right now, but ask any mom who has been through it (and I've got a few who had twins while having a toddler already), and it's a minivan they need. It's not forever, either. :)

The new Ody is really nice. Lots of great features. The T&C has the tumbling second row seats which is really great. Lots of great features, too.

I'll stop now.

Again, best of luck to you while you stop around.

I'm with you on the mini-van.

I posted prior that the limited would be aprox 36,700 without the D or X plan. Now you can ask your parents for the code to log in and see what the discount would be. But it would be a discount on top of that 36,700. My guess is maybe 1-2 grand but I am not sure what ford is giving.

As for waiting until AUG. it might not be a horrible idea. That is is you can wait... My guess is they may add features, or change things slightly. Craig from Facebook was saying a few weeks ago (maybe a month) that he thinks they have to re-think not having the 2nd row bucket seats in the XLT. That's why I kinda wonder if they won't make it an option in 2012. Since then there has been no mention and whenever asked people from ford sorta say they can't talk about MY 2012.

Either way, I think your best option is to wait to get something until late spring early summer. Incentives should only get better. And my guess is at some point in the summer they will release what is going to be in the 2012 (and the options of the 2012).

FLEX!!!! It'll give you the greatest flexibility for seating arrangements and has plenty of room between the 2nd row captain's chairs to access the back. No worry of flipping the seats, it's got plenty of cargo space AND it's not a minivan. Just don't get all black -- then it looks like a hearse. ;)

FLEX!!!! It'll give you the greatest flexibility for seating arrangements and has plenty of room between the 2nd row captain's chairs to access the back. No worry of flipping the seats, it's got plenty of cargo space AND it's not a minivan. Just don't get all black -- then it looks like a hearse. ;)

Too funny gabella, I never thought of it, but it does have a hearse look to it. My sister drives a black Flex and she has twin boys, that may be a good solution if a minivan is out. :thumbsup:

Too funny gabella, I never thought of it, but it does have a hearse look to it. My sister drives a black Flex and she has twin boys, that may be a good solution if a minivan is out. :thumbsup:

Oops. Don't tell your sister I said that. :)

I really like the Bordeaux Red with white top or the Med. Blue with white top. Just that all black that gets me thinking hearse. :p:

The seating systems on the Explorer and Flex are essentially the same. The best option for you is second row bucket seats and no console. Putting three accross or two on the 60% is not really feasible, unless you have wicked narrow car seats! The benefit of the Flex over the Explorer for this arrangement is the added 5" legroom in second row. Will make access to the third row easier. Other than that, they are the same arrangement and spacing /size.

As someone who had two (sixteen months apart) sharing the back seat of a lifted wrangler...you'll adapt to whatever :) The best thing with the wrangler was that I could take out the side window for buckling. And when the kids were a little older, they used the lugs on the tires to climb up and over the side.

I would not try to do that again, but it wasn't horrible. I'm very anti minivan myself...for me at least. I think the explorer has plenty of space. I would think about the third row for the littlest ones (they won't even care about entertainment right now) since the first car seats leave the base in and you buckle them in outside the car. Here is where the auto liftgate shines...when you are putting two car carriers in with precious cargo.

Gabella,
Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran it by the wife and she is totally on board!!
31300800009_large.jpg

Is the casket with the 60/40 split included with the Limited package?

Or I guess we don't need a bench or bucket seats...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can the headrests be removed completely from the third row so as to make getting things in and out easier via the hatch (like a car seat or the kids themselves when they get older)? I realize you can drop one side to create ingress/egress, but sometimes speed is of the essence.

And for that matter, I'll ask the same of the second row. Even if you have a booster seat, sometimes it's nice to just get the headrest out of the way since it's not necessary. Makes rear vision better too.

Back