Child Seat Configuration for 3 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Child Seat Configuration for 3

Mikerod87,

This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I have to say that I agree with Gabella, the Flex is a great option for you and your growing family. Congratulations on the upcoming babies!

The Flex offers spacious seating for seven, so your family can travel in style and comfort. My personal favorite option on the Flex is the PowerFold 3rd row seat, you can control all that flipping and folding with a touch of a button! If you need all 7 seats you keep the seats in normal upright position, if you need extra cargo space, you can lower the seats for a flat load floor, and (my favorite part of my favorite feature) you can convert the third-row seat to a rear-facing one. The Flex is soooo flexible!! FYI: Yes, this feature is available on the Limited model.

If you are interested in the incentives and offers available in your area, PM me your ZIP and I would be happy to look them up for you. To see all that Flex offers check it out on this link: http://www.Ford.com/Crossovers/Flex. Also, read up on its reviews here: http://www.Ford.com/Crossovers/Flex/Reviews/Review-Details/?siteFilter=fv&id=313. If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to contact me.

Seni

P.S. My favorite color on the Flex is the Mediterranean Blue, not a big fan of the black either. (lol- Hearse, oh my!)

Gabella,
Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran it by the wife and she is totally on board!!
31300800009_large.jpg

Is the casket with the 60/40 split included with the Limited package?

Or I guess we don't need a bench or bucket seats...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just want to say we have a 2011 flex limited with Ecoboost and couldn't be happier. Its like the functionality of a minivan without BEING a MINIVIN. I also highly recommend the Ecoboost for the fun factor.

The interior space is huge, and there are some many different configurations you can do. We went with the 2nd row buckets without a floor console, so someone can walk through to the 3rd row if necessary without having to remove the car seats in the second row. I can have the driver's seat all the way back and there is still lots of room between the car seat and back of the drivers seat (front facing car seat). I'm sure Shaq could fit in the 2nd row no problems. With the 3rd row folded flat, there is so much cargo room for double strollers, groceries etc.

The other day I put a 11.5 foot long roll of carpet in the flex with all doors closed.

Gabella,
Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran it by the wife and she is totally on board!!
31300800009_large.jpg

Is the casket with the 60/40 split included with the Limited package?

Or I guess we don't need a bench or bucket seats...

EEEEEK! I wasn't entirely serious, but, wow. Look at pics of the blues with the white top or the BR with white top, instead. Very sharp looking, IMHO.

I was all set to get the Flex except it's too long for my garage. Well, it could fit, but there's really not much room for play. I trust myself... but not when my oldest starts to drive.

I also liked that it was wider and taller all the way back. You can get three across in the last row, and my 6'3" brother was comfortable in the third row. Not for a long ride, but 45-60 min.

If you're going to a Ford dealer anyway to look at the Ex, just take a few steps over and check out the Flex. :)

to answer JRFFF, I don't think the third row head rests are removable, but they do fold down forward. One thing to note is that the LATCH system for child seats are only there for ONE of the third row seats, not both (the one behind the passenger side). I believe there are three latch systems for each seat in second row.

I have the headrest folded down and then a car seat placed there. It tucks away good enough that you don't want to remove it.

Mike,
It's interesting how many comments you received on this. I have 3 kids and I wouldn't get an Explorer or the Flex until they are older and out of car seats. The car you need is a minivan. I know you hate them but if you drive one, you may change your mind. But if you are too against that, I would get the Expedition. You can get captain's chairs and have your toddler walk in between to the 3rd row. And because this may be the last model year and gas prices are expected to go up, you should get them at a steal.

Can you get away with a Jeep Wrangler:rolleyes:, Ford Explorer/Flex with 2 infants and a toddler? Maybe, but why torture yourselves! Do yourself a favor and take all your options out for a test drive. Literally install the car seats and see if that would work for you. The problem I see isn't so much the seating arrangements, it's the space you are left with for all the baby equipment or when you are taking your car for a weekend getaway. Where is the luggage going to go??

Trust me. Go with a bigger car/truck. At least test drive a couple of options (yes, including the dreaded minivan). You have nothing to lose if you do, but may end up with a car/truck that doesn't work for your family if you don't.

BTW, we started with the Yukon Denali XL (Suburban size), then moved to an Expedition. It worked well with 3 young kids and since we were also so very much against a minivan, this was really our only options. We did one big trip to Disney in the Expedition and while there was room for all of our things, it was just barely and we used a fair amount of gas. My brother-in-law had the Honda Odyssey and had plenty of room and used much less gas. We gave up the struggle last year and leased the Honda (still can't "buy" one). and we took it to Florida. What a difference. It's really the best option with 3 small ones. But who am I to judge. You may be just like me and only learn the hard way...

Just my two cents.

Well we went and drove the 2011 Ford X and brought the car seats for twins and a toddler. The third row is not made for anyone but a child not using a child seat. A child seat will not fit in the 3rd row(with any type of leg room-6 inches tops). I am disappointed that the second row only slides forward minimally. We also drove a Enclave and the 3rd row had room for 3 instead of 2 and had far greater room than the X in the 3rd row. My heart is with the X but Ford did not make that third row or the second row with accessibility in mind. To be more clear the 2nd row does not slide up enough to not smash my childs legs in a car seat against the back of the 2nd row. It looks like the Enclave is looking more like the car(unfortunately).

Here's a GREAT idea for Ford. Make the 60/40 split or 2nd row captains chairs removable!!! Or make 1 seat captains chair removable or the 40 split. That would be innovative to this class of crossover.

The 3rd row seating 2 instead of 3 is obviously a weakness Ford does not want to make obvious. There are no seat configuration photo's on their site. Every other car in that class has one on theirs.

Huh, must be giants. My Britax Frontier large seat fits fine in the 3rd row and uses the built in LATCH attachments. My 6' Father in Law always rides next to him. We have the 40/40 captains chars with console. Easy access. We have another Frontier in the pass side 2nd row where my daughter rides. 2nd row leg room could grow, as it is 5" less than the 2009 Flex we had. The 3rd row is great in my mind. Have always been quite happy with the amount of space.

Back