Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

I have the Airaid on my Sport. It has been on for about 500 miles and other than a little more throttle noise when getting on it, it's not much different than stock. I do hear a sound that sounds like a flapper opening and closing (a popping sound might describe it better) when accelerating, but not loud enough to be bothersome or go back to stock for that reason.

I'm sure it sucks in more hot air than the stock air box, as the top of the box is open. I have not seen any MPG gains yet ( have seen comments from other users who say they have a 1-2 MPG gain, not me!). I don't have a tune, so I'm up in the air if I'm going to keep it on or go back to stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I have been reading in previous threads, plus what you guys just detailed, pretty much confirms that any real gains will only come when the intake is paired with a tune.

Now its time to look for a package deal I guess. (Tune, Intake, and Thermostat)

Thank you for the info.

Easy check... Put baby powder on weatherstripping and close hood, open and see if it left a mark.

I put baby powder on the seal, and as I thought, no marks were left on the hood. It looks like there is a 1" - 1 1/2" gap between the weatherstripping and the hood, so plenty of hot air is getting in from the heat of the engine.

I just removed my Airaid and went back to the stock air box, it has to be better getting the air from the outside and not the hot air from the engine.

If the concern is about not making a proper seal and the gap is that big, just make a dyi cover for the top.Maybe some velcro tape and some sort of flat platic cover or something

From what I can tell there are only two intake options currently for sale that are specific to the Sport. The Injen and the K&N model.

Im not particularly crazy about either because of the heat shields or lack of heat shield with the Injen one.

Has anyone had any of these (Airaid,Injen,K&N) on their Sport for a considerable amount of time?

I have about 500 miles on my Sport and this was one of the first upgrades I was looking to do, trying to get an idea on the general consensus.

INJEN CAI intakes are POS, don't buy anything from them.

Several of us on here are stuck with INJEN junk sitting in the box.

INJEN CAI intakes are POS, don't buy anything from them.

Several of us on here are stuck with INJEN junk sitting in the box.

Possibly for the Explorer this is true, but in general I have had great results with Injen intakes on my vehicles. I had issues with a K&N and AEM intakes on my 350z, and loved the Injen. We're currently running an Injen on my wife's Camaro with no issues.

The fact is that there will not be any performance benefit from an intake on the explorer without a tune (and likely even with a tune I'm not sure the stock air box is all that restrictive). The only "noticeable" benefit you will get from an aftermarket intake is sound (not that it should be discounted, I love sound altering mods).

Your probably right since owners who bought K&N and INJEN on the Naturally Aspirated 3.5L are all saying the same thing.

Dont think anyone on here has the N/A 3.5L with a tune yet to do a comparison.

Seems like some very limited gains if the piping other than the short run is still all stock. It appears it is still all stock at least in photos except for the short little run from the filter to the first rubber hose. The stock pipes get fairly small and can only take in so much air so a bigger filter with no seal to keep engine heat out seems like a lose, lose....correct me if i am wrong?

Seems like some very limited gains if the piping other than the short run is still all stock. It appears it is still all stock at least in photos except for the short little run from the filter to the first rubber hose. The stock pipes get fairly small and can only take in so much air so a bigger filter with no seal to keep engine heat out seems like a lose, lose....correct me if i am wrong?

Mr Evil, You are absolutely correct......best regards Plum

2014 ford sport cool air intake suggestions please

Cool air intake

You need to go to the Modified section for this type question.

Cool air intake
As I mentioned in my PM, I have moved your post to this thread on the same topic.
It would also be very helpful if you added the model to your profile so that it will appear in the left column where is currently just shows "2013".
Not all models are the same or have the same issues.

Peter

Is it worth it?
I tried to send a private message to tell you that I moved your thread to this post but your private messages exceed the allowable limit so I could not send it. You should remove some of the messages you have if you want to clear space.

Peter
2011 - 2014 Ford Explorer Forum moderator

So I got the airraid Cai but the wiring harness on the explorer is short in length. Can I cut and splice? I was going to cut splice and shrink wrap it. Will this affect anything for the mas?

So I got the airraid Cai but the wiring harness on the explorer is short in length. Can I cut and splice? I was going to cut splice and shrink wrap it. Will this affect anything for the mas?

Not sure I'd install anything that wasn't plug and play. Cutting into the engine wiring harness on a new, $45K vehicle for something that is reported as making very little difference seems a waste. What would you do if your engine develops a miss and you take it in for warranty work? Not worth it. I'd send it back.

What is too short. I installed mine without any problems. Certainly didn't have to cut anything. You've probably got something wrong.

The wiring harness is too short. Need 3" more of wire to plug the adapter in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Sport Intake

SHO intake from Airaid fits right in with no hassle.

Back