Check Engine - P0340 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine - P0340

The sensor it is right UNDER the coil packs.
Why? Beacuse at the beginings, there was the distribuitor cap, with the ignition contact point, being rotated by the synronizer shaft. Now the removed that but they kept the shaft and put the sensor on top. The ignition wires being the same lenght, they installed the electronic coils there too...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply sonic, yea i just found it.. it looks like i may have to replace the cam synchronizer also. Is there anyway of telling if the cam synchronizer is starting to crap out?

I replaced mine just for preventetive reasons. Just don't buy cheap Dorman one, get a Motorcraft one - I got mine from Rockauto (with their savings code from this site).
PS: I did try a "Made in China" one from NAPA and it would not even mesh in with the internal gears...

if you didnt have the code prior to a new syncro, the syncro is in wrong.

Does the Motorcraft come with the sensor and alignment tool? I'm most likely going to change it because it's starting to squeal in that precise location.

The sensor it is right UNDER the coil packs.
Why? Beacuse at the beginings, there was the distribuitor cap, with the ignition contact point, being rotated by the synronizer shaft. Now the removed that but they kept the shaft and put the sensor on top. The ignition wires being the same lenght, they installed the electronic coils there too...

I took a look at it and it seems to me that I need to remove the coil pack in order to take off the sensor? I am getting P0340 code and I would like to take replace the sensor to see if it can clear the code.

if you use a 1/4" extension with a swivel, and a 5.5mm socket you can remove the sensor cap without disturbing the coil packs or synch drive shaft position.

You may find the flag on the shaft is broken off, in which case you do need to remove the coilpacks to get the cam sensor drive unit out.

Back