Solved - Explorer Towing Capacities | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Explorer Towing Capacities

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
This is your max towing capacity. Meaning all cargo, passengers and weight of trailer and contents included. Don't think you can load up with stuff in the truck and still tow this amount of weight on a trailer!

Attachments

• Capacities 1997.jpg
    Capacities 1997.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 33,823

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello. I have an 97 XLT with the 4.0 V6 SOHC and tow package with the 3:73 LS gears. I recently purchased a 19 foot TT that does have electric brakes. I just had a 7-pin round and brake controller installed. I would like to know if my explorer can pull the trailer fully loaded which would be around 4,000 lbs. The vehicle has approx. 220k with the orignal tranny. On a related note, I did perform a "test" drive with the trailer today in 95 degree weather, going up and down moderate hills. When I stopped, 20 miles into the drive, I noticed some oil was hitting the exhaust which caused some smoke. When I made it back home there was no leak or at least no smoke. What are your thoughts. Thanks for your time.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

07 mercury mountaineer

I have a 2007 mercury mountaineer that I jus recently bought. My wife and I are bought to move and we don't want to drive both our vehicles separately and my mountaineer is the v6 awd with a class III/IV tow hitch and she has a 2012 Chrysler 300. Does anyone know if we would be able to tow her vehicle with my mine?

I have a 2007 mercury mountaineer that I jus recently bought. My wife and I are bought to move and we don't want to drive both our vehicles separately and my mountaineer is the v6 awd with a class III/IV tow hitch and she has a 2012 Chrysler 300. Does anyone know if we would be able to tow her vehicle with my mine?

There are many variables there- do you plan to flat tow (meaning 4 wheels on the ground) or use a dolly (back two wheels on the ground) or completely off the ground on a trailer? Whats the capacity of the Mountaineer per your gear ratio? How far how fast? Terrain? Weight of the car you want to tow?

Hi, new member here. I'm considering buying a 97 4.0 ohv rwd 4-door explorer with a manual transmission. I could use some advice.
I think it has an m5od r1 tranny. I don't have infos on the rear axle ratio yet.

I would like to use it for towing a car hauler trailer over long distances on highways. The fully loaded weight of the trailer is 4500 lbs.
According to the chart on the first page, an explorer with these specs could tow only between 1900 and 2900 pounds, depending on the axle ratio.
Now, why are the 4x4's and the auto trans models' towing capacities rated so much higher?
I was under the impression that manual transmissions are a lot better for towing heavier loads.
I know that all v6 explorer auto trannies are strictly light-duty. So towing 4400 lbs on a regular basis with those is out of the question.
V8's are not really an option because of their fuel economy (gas here is $8/gal.)
The same goes for the 4x4 models.
I guess a 4.0 ohv rwd manual explorer with a 4500 lbs trailer should get 15-16 mpg's, which is still high but acceptable.
But could it handle such a load in reality?

You would probably be fine towing the 200 with the front/driven wheels on a dolly and the rear wheels rolling. Probably not an option to tow with all 4 wheels on the ground, as you would be spinning the transmission without circulating any coolant/lubricant.

Whether you can handle the 200 with all 4 wheels on a car-hauling trailer depends on whether your Mounty has the Class 3 towing package. The weight of such a trailer, plus the car, would certainly be more than you could handle, if you have the base Class 2 towing package (3500 lbs, known by the smaller 1¼" square hitch receiver).

If you have the larger 2" squrae hitch receiver, then you have the Class 3 package, which is 5000-5500 lbs. If that's your case, then you have more options, including the larger trailer.

Hi, new member here. I'm considering buying a 97 4.0 ohv rwd 4-door explorer with a manual transmission. I could use some advice.
I think it has an m5od r1 tranny. I don't have infos on the rear axle ratio yet.

I would like to use it for towing a car hauler trailer over long distances on highways. The fully loaded weight of the trailer is 4500 lbs.
According to the chart on the first page, an explorer with these specs could tow only between 1900 and 2900 pounds, depending on the axle ratio.
Now, why are the 4x4's and the auto trans models' towing capacities rated so much higher?
I was under the impression that manual transmissions are a lot better for towing heavier loads.
I know that all v6 explorer auto trannies are strictly light-duty. So towing 4400 lbs on a regular basis with those is out of the question.
V8's are not really an option because of their fuel economy (gas here is $8/gal.)
The same goes for the 4x4 models.
I guess a 4.0 ohv rwd manual explorer with a 4500 lbs trailer should get 15-16 mpg's, which is still high but acceptable.

The manual transmission is strictly light duty also. It is a Mazda unit, the clutch isn't heavy duty enough for towing, it's a common misconception. I worked with a guy who towed an empty tandem trailer and it in short order destroyed his clutch. Towing 4500 lbs is definitely out, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hi, new member here. I'm considering buying a 97

The V8 and OHV V6 fuel economy is very similar. With a trailer and load I am confident the V8 would do better. Towing 4500 pounds in any Explorer, however, would get very poor milage. Your best bet in the Explorer family would be a 2wd V8. You would probably be better off with a different vehicle if you plan to tow a 4,500 pound load frequently, and for long distance.

Question - 2004 Towing

Hi All - I need some specific help. We are looking into getting a travel trailer and I'm trying to find out exactly what I can tow with my current explorer.

2004 Explorer
4x4
v6
D4 Axle Ratio which I think means 3.73
Currently have a class II hitch

So I'm thinking currently I can pull anything up to 3400 but since I have the D4 axle ratio if i upgrade to a class III I can pull closer to 5000

I'm just looking for someone to tell me is this correct or am I stuck at only pulling up to 3400 with my currenty setup or even if I upgrade to a class III hitch.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I have a '99 4.0L SOHC, D4 axle (3.73 limited slip), Auto, 4x4, Class III hitch, dual axle car trailer and towing a 1979 Dodge Magnum(the car alone is 3,900 lbs) from Western NY down to East TN. My concern is going through the mountains of PA and WV. Will this be able to do this without issue?

The chart calls for around 5,600 lbs, but figured I'd ask.

Ill bet the engine will wheeze going up the hills. Do you have trailer brakes?

I was trailer shopping, but opted to hire someone to haul it....cheaper and my truck stays happy. Thank you for the input though.

Hi All - I need some specific help. We are looking into getting a travel trailer and I'm trying to find out exactly what I can tow with my current explorer.

2004 Explorer
4x4
v6
D4 Axle Ratio which I think means 3.73
Currently have a class II hitch

So I'm thinking currently I can pull anything up to 3400 but since I have the D4 axle ratio if i upgrade to a class III I can pull closer to 5000

I'm just looking for someone to tell me is this correct or am I stuck at only pulling up to 3400 with my currenty setup or even if I upgrade to a class III hitch.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Not sure if you are still watching this thread. But if only have the class II hitch (known by a 1¼" square receiver), then you only have 3.55 gearing, NOT 3.73. In that case, you are stuck at 3500 lbs MAX tow rating.
If you have a 2" square receiver, then you DO have the HD towing package, including 3.73 gearing, and 5000-5500 lbs tow rating. Check your hitch, then check your owner's manual. You can also search for the Ford Towing Guide. Anything from 2002-2005 will be the same for your 3rd gen truck.

Actually the gear ratio can be found on the door card. There's a thread somewhere here that describes how to de code it. Will tell you your diff ratio, if it's posi or open. All the info you would want.

The tag is on the door pillar I think.
Axel codes are:
http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

Have a 2013 explorer Eco boost 2wd, its the wife my truck got road off, told it to get the the 4x4 but she told me she had no use for a 4x4. Now we are looking for a camping trailer what size can the 2wd boost pull?

The manual transmission is strictly light duty also. It is a Mazda unit, the clutch isn't heavy duty enough for towing, it's a common misconception. I worked with a guy who towed an empty tandem trailer and it in short order destroyed his clutch. Towing 4500 lbs is definitely out, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I know that the usa has a exophobia about foreign cars- but the mazda gearbox that is used in the us `exploder' is not only not a light duty box- but is the exact same box used in mazda 4 tonne trucks- my personal tow rig is a v6 manual that has over 120000km on it - it regularly tows 2.5 tonne loads

the auto is the light duty car gearbox- they regularly blew up with under 30k km on them-

maybe the Canadian built export series were much more solidly built than the usa sold `trucks' but the exploders had a really good history as tow trucks (manual v6- the v8 went bang regularly here in oz- they dont like high temps maybe??)

anyway the v6 manual with the mazda b/gox and the twin oh cam v6 is a serious tow machine - its got lousy fuel econony like most us trucks but its got some serious power on the highway

I can sit on 110kmh all day and hit 140kmh overtaking with a 2.2 tonne 26ft van with the canadian built v6 with the 5 speed manual and a class5 hitch

I can sit on 110kmh all day and hit 140kmh overtaking with a 2.2 tonne 26ft van with the canadian built v6 with the 5 speed manual and a class5 hitch

put into us speakum

I can sit on 68.35mph all day and hit 86.99mph overtaking with a 2.42 short ton(4850 us pound) 26ft van with the canadian built v6 with the 5 speed manual and a class5 hitch

this is and has been the usual load for the last decade...

the auto exploders are all now in the wreckers yards- all dead

so the auto isnt (and hasnt ever been) the stronger box- its the weakest link and the auto motor is also weak (as they are also the most common motor found at the wreckers..

non us buyers should also be aware that auto motors arent the same as manual motors- they are readily available in oz, at the wreckers- complete auto motors for under 50 oz bucks, manual motors go for 1000 plus as they are very rare in wreckers as they dont blow up

edit to add

one thing to be wary of is that unlike most 4x4's, exploders use the same ratios for both manual and auto boxes in export models(dont know about us only models)- unfortunately they decided to use the higher auto ratios- so yes unwary users with a heavy right foot could quickly burn out the clutch with heavy loads in manuals- this can be shown to be a factory/design fault (cheaparse builders couldnt be bothered making lower ratio gears for manuals) and driver ineptitude. Export models usually came with manual front hubs so good drivers who had their front hubs in manual could use the quickchange dash range shift to take off in low 4x4 in 3rd or 4th on a steep hill then change to high 2x 1st once they got moving with a heavy 5000+ pound trailer

the same ratio diffs showed how cheaply built the exploder was- its a cheaply built moderate 4x4 with a moderate load towing ability, light offroad ability; a hilux or landcruiser is a much better built tow car for moderate to heavy loads and with the diesel engines are far superior

Ok I have a 2004 explorer xlt auto 4x4 with the 4.0 can I safely pull a 12ft open trailer with my 2013 teryx4 which weighs 1600 lbs

Sry to bring an old thread back...but I have a hard time believing that my 2000 Explorer Sport, 4.0 OHV, 5-speed, 2WD, 3.23 gears can only haul 2,000 lbs total, that would be no better than most sedans.

Where did this information come from? I noticed its also different from this chart, which shows a "maximum" tow rating for the 2-door Sport of over 5,000 lbs.

For what its worth (not much) my 98 XLT was regularly used by the PO to tow a car on a full length trailer (way more than 2,000 lbs total) and still going strong at 230,000 miles.

2007 v6 3.55 gears upgraded. What my tow capacity at now

Keep in mind this is for short trips. 50 miles each way. Max 4 times a year. I've installed brake controller, 7 pin connector and the 2" hitch. I assume you guys cab let me go a bit over 3,500. Right? Truck is v6 with 3.55 gears. Factory 1.25"

ED8F7CC7-892F-4B10-A6A1-1BE0941350FF_zps8ebvbf7v.jpg

Back