Sport lug nuts and locks | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport lug nuts and locks

$211.59! Do they install themselves? Curious how the black will hold up after numerous tire rotations using an impact socket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya Im sending mine back, just had a discussion with some of the engineers there's not enough 60 degree bevel contact area on the black lug nut's to hold the wheel safely. OEM are way more robust.

Ya Im sending mine back, just had a discussion with some of the engineers there's not enough 60 degree bevel contact area on the black lug nut's to hold the wheel safely. OEM are way more robust.

I don't know anyone who would attempt to sell an unsafe lug nut application. The law suits of a wheel coming off would be horrendous...

I think it depends on the wheel. For OEM products no doubt the OEM lug is certainly seating more of the cone against one another. I just finished test fitting my 22x10.5 and the OEM lughs don't fit in the hole. I noticed while they were testing that they are using a gorilla type of locking lug system. My new wheels have a much more shallow cone seat, and they are the same depth as the new lugs. For the lugs to fail they would more than likely have to loosen to the point where they sheer off, unlikely with 5 of them seated and torqued properly. You need to have at least 3 full rotations of a lug onto the threads or they are not long enough. That's at least the rule of thumb I have been told a number of times. As long as the bevel on the cone is seated and in tact with lug and the rim, I don't think you gain much with surface contact unless the two surfaces are the same in depth. If the cone on the wheel is only 1/4 tall and the cone on the lug is 1/2 long, well you are only getting a 1/4 inch contact so the extra on the lug does nothing..

In My Opinion.

Ya I agree with you I don't think they would be sold knowing they were inferior either.

I was just of the opinion I was buying some lug nuts as robust as OEM or better.

For peace of mind they are going back.

See my signature

They look pretty robust, but $211?

Mine were $26

I guess you get what you pay for.

If you can maybe pull a stock lug nut off and do some comparisons, they look smaller same as mine.

They were pricey, but not $211! More like $98 when I bought them a month or so ago. Amazon.com seems to have them at $120 now.

I'll do some comparison pics when I get around to installing them.

Ya I agree with you I don't think they would be sold knowing they were inferior either.

I was just of the opinion I was buying some lug nuts as robust as OEM or better.

For peace of mind they are going back.

What kind did you have?
They look different from the Gorillas...

They were pricey, but not $211! More like $98 when I bought them a month or so ago. Amazon.com seems to have them at $120 now.

Ya your right Amazon has your's for as low as $81

Confirm you bought the kit #65540BK ? Black on top and bare metal on 60º bevel area

It has tire vales included, too bad we cant just get lugs.

Ya your right Amazon has your's for as low as $81

Confirm you bought the kit #65540BK ? Black on top and bare metal on 60º bevel area

It has tire vales included, too bad we cant just get lugs.

Yep, that's the part number I bought, that mcGard had listed for the Explorer Sport. Again, FYI -I haven't installed these yet so can't vouch for how they work.

Yep, that's the part number I bought, that mcGard had listed for the Explorer Sport. Again, FYI -I haven't installed these yet so can't vouch for how they work.

I will wait to see what you think before I order anything else.

How close are they to OEM?

Just concerned about the bevel contact surface

Any chance of a comparison pic?

Im asking because when I change the fit guide on the top Amazon bar from 2012 Explorer to 2013/14 Explorer it goes from fitting to not fitting. Im concerned that's maybe because they aren't made for 2013/14 SPORT wheels.

How close are they to OEM?

Just concerned about the bevel contact surface

Any chance of a comparison pic?

Im asking because when I change the fit guide on the top Amazon bar from 2012 Explorer to 2013/14 Explorer it goes from fitting to not fitting. Im concerned that's maybe because they aren't made for 2013/14 SPORT wheels.

I don't have a comparison but I did compare them before I installed and they looked very similar. I didn't bust out the calipers to measure, but they looked like they match in depth. The overall lug is a tad shorter, but not the area that makes contact.

I still haven't installed them yet, but I did get a chance to pull one of the OEM lug nuts and do a couple comparison shots. As you can see, the bevel is smaller than the OEM lug, but it will more than cover the area on the OEM lug that actually touches the wheel (you can see it in the pictures from the marks on the silver one).

kfsoK4xl.png

39lUyZM.png

You take way better pics then me!

Those look good and beefy.

I compared the Gorilla Lugs to OEM and they look like the same amount of bevel contact surface so I ordered those.

Amazon is $47 + free shipping.

Installed the Gorilla Black Lug nut Kit yesterday......looks excellent.

They are much more comparable to the OEM for contact surface and weight.

Well worth it!

IMG_3975.jpg

You take way better pics then me!

Those look good and beefy.

I compared the Gorilla Lugs to OEM and they look like the same amount of bevel contact surface so I ordered those.

Amazon is $47 + free shipping.

I would concur, and here is a picture I took today as well...

IMG_20140326_192602768_zpskkwmurnp.jpg

Ben

I also immediately sent in the $10.50 for the spare wheel lock socket, just in case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also immediately sent in the $10.50 for the spare wheel lock socket, just in case.

SOOOooooooo.....

Did you notice that the standard lug nuts are 3/4"/19mm and the "key" for the locking lug nuts is 21mm/13/16"? Good thing I thought about this or could have been stranded on the side of the road! This sure won't work as is.

Need to call them tomorrow and see if they make a key in 19mm.

Or this adapter would work:
http://www.prestigewheel.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=LWA-150

IMG_20140327_212059102_zpspjqezdiz.jpg

Ben

Back