• Register Today It's free!

She was so young...

MIExplorer5

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Platinum Tri XLT
Well, my new '14 Explorer met her fate last week. After a late-season snow storm, my wife was driving home and got sandwiched between a semi that lost control on ice and the concrete barrier wall, and is a total loss. She's sore and mentally shaken, but the car took the majority of the beating. Semi truck never stopped, and nobody stopped to help.

Props to Ford for making a safe car and enabling the Sync system with the 911 Assist, which called 911 on her behalf through her phone paired to the system. Her purse was unreachable after the crash.

This may not be the place, but credit also to my dealer who immediately got us into a loaner, as we didn't have rental coverage through insurance. If you're in West Michigan - Fox Ford will treat you well.

As a true testament to how much we appreciated Ford and our Explorer, our new '14 XLT is on it's way...with a few extra goodies.

13902891651_b5087110bd_c.jpg
IMG_0900 by thatch1234, on Flickr

13926073883_b3bb1885c7_c.jpg
IMG_0899 by thatch1234, on Flickr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad she's ok.. scary stuff... Good luck w/ the new ride

Ouch! :eek: What a shame. Glad to hear that the wife is okay though. I wonder how a smaller vehicle would have made out. I'm sure that she (Explorer) will likely become an 'organ' donor and parts of her will live on. Also nice to see that your dealer is looking after you and that you'll be back in another Explorer soon. Take care.:thumbsup:

Peter

As a side note - its great that the Emergency call/911 feature worked as it should have, but like you mentioned, the phone was paired with MFT.

I see all around me people daily in more expensive cars, on their phone, looking at their phone, staring down at their phone, all the time.
Jeep, Escalade, Lexus, Tahoe, Pilot, Mercedes, Porsche you name it, they are on their phone, more men than women I see driving generally.

Its either too much to handle for these folks or they didnt even bother to set it up, or they cant figure out or remember how to review their phones apps/features...

My phone is always able to pair, all I need to do is turn on BT, I never have to change it or mess with MFT or re-pair, and the 911/emergency call icon shows up at the top of the screen and I know its working...:thumbsup:

Glad the wife is doing well, that is the absolute most important thing. Congrats X2 on the new Explorer also.

Good to hear family is safe, the Explorer is a very safe ride, especially for the driver with all the boron steel around you.

You should have taken this opportunity to say thank god, lets celebrate with a new Limited !

Glad your wife is ok !! The Explorer can and is getting replaced...

Wow, glad to here your wife is ok.

Did they catch the semi-driver? What a jerk.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The car has a lot of good parts left in it, so as peter said I'm guessing will salvage nicely. Unfortunately my DOT here doesn't record their traffic cams, so no word on the semi driver. Guess he'll get away this time, but I worry the next victim won't be as fortunate.

Good news is the new Ex is here, and we're back on the road! Probably going to avoid freeways for a while.
13985774616_fc25a532f0_c.jpg
IMG_0951 by thatch1234, on Flickr

Very, very nice replacement. However, I don't think it is a 'Tuxedo' as indicated in your profile. :biggthump

Peter

Very, very nice replacement. However, I don't think it is a 'Tuxedo' as indicated in your profile. :biggthump

Peter

And it would appear to be XLT to LTD from the wheels, but the mirror says XLT with upgraded wheels.

Glad your wife is OK.

Me personally, love the color! Any reason fro the change? Trouble keeping the darker color clean?

I have a jet black Saab and next to my "pearl" Ex, the difference after a rain storm is night and day. One still looks pretty clean. The other a mess. My Escape is Gold Leaf metallic and does the best.

Glad the wife is A-OK. I like the white better.

Man it looks like she took some blast, hope she can hold it together and get that new Explorer out on the road!

And it would appear to be XLT to LTD from the wheels, but the mirror says XLT with upgraded wheels.

Glad your wife is OK.

Me personally, love the color! Any reason fro the change? Trouble keeping the darker color clean?

I have a jet black Saab and next to my "pearl" Ex, the difference after a rain storm is night and day. One still looks pretty clean. The other a mess. My Escape is Gold Leaf metallic and does the best.

Thanks again, friends.

Yep - it's an upgraded XLT, although I do love the look of the body-colored mirrors. Reason for the color change was we factory-ordered our Tuxedo Black, and we loved it. It was hard to keep clean, but I've always owned black cars, and have a Tuxedo black Fusion, so nothing new there. The reason was, my dealer was scrambling to get us into a new car and "couldn't find" a comparable Tuxedo Explorer. (Quotes are for effect, I do think he tried.) The white does look great!

With rain the forecast, I'm looking to seeing how my first white car holds up.

They hold up great. I went from a tuxedo black to white. Night and day in the difference. The white hardly shows any dirt at all. I do see alot of break dust on the back. Little orange spots. Don't be surprised. They come off pretty easily. Glad to hear your wife is fine. Safe travels.

Back