• Register Today It's free!

Optional items on new Explorer

NateT

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
09 Prius
I am thinking of buying a '14 Ford Explorer Limited soon. I have two questions about the optional equipment.

1.) I like the captains chairs/console for the second row, but I will be making trips to Home Depot/Furniture stores/etc where the console will be sticking up above the level of the 2nd row seats folded down. What do people do to protect the console top from damage? Sometimes a blanket works, but sometimes its inadequate, forgotten, etc. Any thoughts?

2.) I have read in other threads that the tow package is a really good idea because of the upgrades to the transmission and for resale value. I have not been able to externally verify that the transmission is upgrade. What is the story on that?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

-Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum NateT.:wavey:
The 2nd row seats are correctly called bucket seats. I'm afraid I can't help with the console issue. I believe that you could likely remove the console for the times you want to load items. An issue that earlier models had was the cracking of the 3rd row seat backs when weight was put on them in certain spots. It is my understanding that the backs were to be made of a heavier material in the newer models.
As for the tow package, the transmission is the same as if you didn't get the tow. The package just adds other items that you normally would not get. I think that for $570 it isn't a bad investment.

Peter

correct me if wrong, but oil cooler, stability control, higher rated tow hook all well worth it to mee and I will use it for bicycles 99+% of the time

I'd stick with the standard 60/40. The outboard seats feel somewhat seperated with the armrest folded down but you have the convience of a folding 2nd row, $850 in your pocket and a little extra space to carry one more (albeit narrow) butt if you ever need to.

I agree that the tow package is a good buy whether there's something different about the transmission or not. But, since it was mentioned on some past threads, I figured I should get some clarification.

Regarding the 2nd row, it kills me to get the bench, but if haven't actually seen/sat in it yet... I just really liked the 2 chairs. But, practicality and substance may win out over preference and form this time. I don't want to spend more, get one less seat, and expose that nice console to damage.

Does the second row bench automatically fold like the second row chairs do???

I agree that the tow package is a good buy whether there's something different about the transmission or not. But, since it was mentioned on some past threads, I figured I should get some clarification.

Regarding the 2nd row, it kills me to get the bench, but if haven't actually seen/sat in it yet... I just really liked the 2 chairs. But, practicality and substance may win out over preference and form this time. I don't want to spend more, get one less seat, and expose that nice console to damage.

Does the second row bench automatically fold like the second row chairs do???

If i recall correctly the console top flips forward so that its level with the seats.

Second row bench is not auto fold.

Great, thanks for all the replies!

I prefer the bench on the EX, IMHO the captains give it kind of a mini van look. I suppose for the "older" folks it wont matter.

I prefer the bench on the EX, IMHO the captains give it kind of a mini van look. I suppose for the "older" folks it wont matter.
I believe there are many posts from members that have children and therefore prefer the 2nd row bucket seats without the console for easy access to the 3rd row.

Peter

??? What a ridiculous statement.....IMHO the bucket option with the console is the better way to go....Also...they are called buckets, not captains my young adolescent friend.

adolescent friend.

Hardly that, i thought i saw that on a window sticker. Thanks for the update. When i looked at a limited it didnt have the console was just open space between the seats.

The buckets look great with the center console and are more comfy. The console is very practical for long trips. Without the console it does have a minivan look in the back but is more practical for kids - but you lose a seat from the bench, not that the bench seats three adults very comfortably with the inflatable seat belts I have, but it will seat three 10 year old range kids fine.

Heres my thoughts, on why I ordered my Sport the way I did. The console is $100 to get with your purchase, separately it's $350 I believe. If it really becomes an issue I can remove it only leaving two or three small holes in the carpet that I'll never notice anyway.

Also the height of the lid/top/armrest is all that sticks above the 2nd row seats when folded so also in a pinch you can remove the few small allen head screws holding it on and you'll have a flat cargo area, albeit with a small hole in the area of the console.

I can remove it only leaving two or three small holes in the carpet that I'll never notice anyway.

Also the height of the lid/top/armrest is all that sticks above the 2nd row seats when folded so also in a pinch you can remove the few small allen head screws holding it on and you'll have a flat cargo area, albeit with a small hole in the area of the console.

Incorrect in both cases....with the console removed, the area underneath of it is not fully carpeted and will look unsightly without some sort of modification/cover as per images shared by other members.

You simply need to flip the console cover fully open and then the console height becomes the same as the cargo area/seat backs.....no need to remove anything and no hole present either.

I believe there are many posts from members that have children and therefore prefer the 2nd row bench seats without the console for easy access to the 3rd row.

Peter

Did you mean 2nd row buckets without console?

Did you mean 2nd row buckets without console?
Whoops. I guess I mispelled 'buckets'.:eek: I have corrected my post. Thanks for pointing that out.:thumbsup:

Peter

Just so you know the 2014 explorer can not longer be ordered you would be looking at a 2015 at this point. If you get the console the lid flips forward to make a flat area for storage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tow package includes the frame mounted class III hitch receiver, oil cooler and 7/4 pin wiring harness. It's well worth the little added cost. I bought my 2014 Sport for towing the boat around.

Back