Explorer Sport (2 door) V6 4.0L Oil Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport (2 door) V6 4.0L Oil Leak

Rykanshru

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Sport
So here's the deal, I've had my exploder for a little over two years. To this point it's been reliable apart from the thermostat housing melting (fixed the issue, but it was hell to fix). Yesterday, I drove home from work, when I made it home, I noticed a substantial amount of smoke coming from the back of under the hood. After opening it I saw oil all over the back of the engine, right in the area where the smoke was coming from. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'm not entirely sure what it's called, I'm just pretty sure that oil isn't supposed to be coming out from anywhere and burning off like that. I already looked for oil in the radiator, and coolant in the oil, so I believe I've ruled out a head gasket issue. If I could get a point in the right direction, I would be very appreciative. I'll post pictures soon about it showing where it is leaking from soon.

Check your valve cover gaskets.

Check your pcv valve its located on the backside of the driver's valve cover, if it comes loose, it will blow oil.

Back