• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak help!

Blkwdw

Reaction score
City, State
Cowra, NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited
Hey all my 03 ford explorer limited has had an oil leak from the engine since the day i bought it. I've looked and looked under the car and am pretty sure its coming from the oil filter. I thought the seal on the first filter might have been shot so i done an oil change and replaced the filter with a new one. No leaks for a few weeks but then started leaking again. Pretty good indication it is the oil filter.

Question is then why does it keep leaking? I can wipe it up and turn it slightly by hand as i only do them up hand tight in the first place as i have with all my cars. It stops for a few days or so then leaks again. What would be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If that was the case wouldnt it leak all the time and not stop once i do an oil and filter change.

Exactly. I've had this issue myself. It is not a difficult repair if you've ever changed a thermostat. Very similar repair and is pretty cheap to do. Bolts are a little tricky to get to once you remove the oil filter.

Had the same problem with my Aviator from the time I bought it.
$10 gasket and a dirty job, but not difficult.
Felpro 70801 - double check that's the right gasket for your truck.

Ill change it and see if it makes a difference. i still dont see how it could be the problem if when i change the oil it stops for a while. Would it not leak regardless. Its getting annoying and leaving a rather large oil stain on the drive way.

If it's NOT the filter gasket itself -- which it sounds like you've eliminated -- a leak from the adapter gasket would take time to drip down the casting, onto the top of the filter - fill up that cavity, start to run down the side of the filter, onto the drip tray and on the ground. If you change the filter that process has to restart which I could see taking a few days before the leak showed itself again.

Ill change it and see if it makes a difference. i still dont see how it could be the problem if when i change the oil it stops for a while. Would it not leak regardless. Its getting annoying and leaving a rather large oil stain on the drive way.

Mine started out only leaking every so often. I got motivated to change it when it became a measurable amount on the garage floor instead of just a drop or two.

Back