1994 Explorer 4dr rear door issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer 4dr rear door issues

rnolen

Reaction score
City, State
Roswell, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Neither of the rear doors on my Explorer will open. Neither the interior nor exterior door handles will release the latch. How can I get them open to replace or repair the latch mechanism?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if it was just not opening from the inside I would say the child safety lever is in the lock position. But if its also not opening from the outside it maybe the weather seal is stuck. When was the last time the rear doors been opened. I know when my truck sat for few years the rubber kinda stuck a little.

The door lock rod-clips that connect the latch mechanism to the door handle rod are made of plastic and break over time.
Do a search on here for replacing the rod clips and you should find some threads with exact info and pictures detailing how to replace them.
Door lock rod clips replacement thread

If the exterior handle is floppy and doesn't spring itself back down then the spring in the handle is broken and you'll have to replace the entire handle mechanism which is also detailed in a few threads on the site.
Fix floppy handle thread

The clips can be found at parts stores in the Help! section. I also found a bunch on ebay in addition to new handles.

I'm not really sure how to get your door open if both inner and outer handles are broken and not working. But I bet someone else on here does!

My guess is you are kind of stuck. Unless someone has a better idea, what I would do is remove the seats, and take the panels out from the inside.

I had a stuck door on mine in the back. Don't know if you have the same issue, but my lock was stuck. If your lock moves freely, it's not the problem. But if it doesn't, take the plastic cap off and gently pull up with a pair of pliers, while pulling the door handle. Afterward, I got the lock to move smoothly just by working it a bit. Now, no issues.

I could tell someone did something before. The cap on the lock was broken.

Neither of the rear doors on my Explorer will open. Neither the interior nor exterior door handles will release the latch. How can I get them open to replace or repair the latch mechanism?

What have you tried so far?

2Stroke: Have the panels off, but there are bolts and/or rivets holding the lock mechanism in place that need to be removed from the outside and can only be reached if the door is open.

Back