Door latch on 1993 Ford Explorer. Help Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door latch on 1993 Ford Explorer. Help Please

mange1234

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Exployer
Help please,

I need to replace the door latch on 1993 Ford Explorer, drivers side.

It is screwed up big time. I had a fit getting the door open. But, removed the door panel and pulled and pushed until door did finally open.

I disconnected the three screws holding the latch in place and removed the interior door handle.

Now, I am at a stand still. Can't get any of the rods to disconnect because of the J shape.

Does anyone have a diagram of this latching system . There is no good information in the repair manual.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Mike

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-gD_8fVXk

It's a different vehicle, but the insides are exactly the same. I just replaced my passenger side door handle this morning on the 94 Explorer. The yellow clip on the rod may be broken. Autozone (I'm sure O'Reilly too) has a replacement in the "Help" parts. The handle is held on with TWO rivets, and the video shows how to drill them out. I think he said in the video to use a 5/16 drill bit, but mine was 1/4 inch. I have a handheld rivet squeezer, but not the correct size rivet on hand, so I just used a couple of short 1/4 inch bolts instead.

Not sure why yours would have 3 fasteners. I thought the 91-94 explorers were all the same...unless it's the inside latch you're having a problem with.

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-gD_8fVXk

It's a different vehicle, but the insides are exactly the same. I just replaced my passenger side door handle this morning on the 94 Explorer. The yellow clip on the rod may be broken. Autozone (I'm sure O'Reilly too) has a replacement in the "Help" parts. The handle is held on with TWO rivets, and the video shows how to drill them out. I think he said in the video to use a 5/16 drill bit, but mine was 1/4 inch. I have a handheld rivet squeezer, but not the correct size rivet on hand, so I just used a couple of short 1/4 inch bolts instead.

Not sure why yours would have 3 fasteners. I thought the 91-94 explorers were all the same...unless it's the inside latch you're having a problem with.

Thanks for the information and help. I finally got the latch out. The trick was to disconnect the outside door handle first and then go from there. The three screws I meant, were the ones holding the latch to the door. I did not have the right tool and the scre heads were worn.

Not to get to pick and pull for a latch.

I cant afford to pay $90.00 for a latch.

Only paid $100.00 for the truck.

Best regards,

Mike in Virginia Beach, Virginia

Door Latch 1993 Explorer

Helo,

I consider myself lucky to get the door open on the driver's side. I had to take the panel off to fight he door open. And, even then I was lucky because the door latch was stuck locked.

Anyway, I took the latch out after researching and found out the trick was to disconnect the out side door handle rod first.

Then, took the latch out and, with a grinder, cut top off of two rivets and opened up the latch. Then, noticed that the spring was broken at one part of the latch.

Dont know where I will get another spring. How to put the two halfs back together if I had a replacement spring. Since I dont have a welder.

Guess I will have to make a trip to pick and pull when the weather gets better.

Does anyone know if you can get an inspection sticker if driver door side latch does not work. lol (no! Im serious)

Mike in Virginia Beach

Back