• Register Today It's free!

Cracked T-stat housing

Kidd7

Reaction score
City, State
RTP, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X AWD EB 5L
I've been looking on craigslist and have seen a few Mountaineers with a cracked t-stat housing for sale. Is this a common problem? Whats the fix? A new intake?
Also, can anyone address the differences between the 2nd and 3rd generation Mountaineers?
My goal is to replace my 2nd gen and use it as a parts truck, mine is rusted pretty bad from spending its life in Ohio. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the most common failures with the 4.0L SOHC engine. Search "lower thermostat housing" in the 1995-01 sub forum.

How To Replace the Upper and Lower Thermostat Housing on a Ford 4.0L V6 SOHC Engine
http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

What about on the V8s? The Mountaineer I saw today is a 2002 V8.

Plastic housing on the V6 SOHC only. The 5.0L V8 is definitely the preferred engine for MANY reasons. Search.

Plastic housing on the V6 SOHC only. The 5.0L V8 is definitely the preferred engine for MANY reasons. Search.

I second that opinion. the engine and the transmissions on the V8's are much better and less problem prone.

The 2002 4.6L is a 3rd gen truck. The engine is completely different from the 5.0 v8 used in the second gens. Check the 3rd gen forum.

The Ford eExplorer page on Wikipedia explains the differences pretty well.

The 4.6 had a very common problem of the plastic intake cracking and losing coolant out the crossover in the front of the engine. If its cracked theres a replacement intake with aluminum crossover to prevent cracking. They switched to an aluminum intake later.

FYI, I'd stay away from the 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer. carcomplaints.com rated it "worst of the worst"s. they were known to have transmission problems.

Back