Monroe 58617 Shock + Pro Comp 13120 Leaf | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Monroe 58617 Shock + Pro Comp 13120 Leaf

I am in the same boat but I corrected the sagging front and now the back is sagging .. I was thinking shackles but they bend the leaf spring in a bad direction causing more damage than good unless you spend the money on a AAL ..So the only other option is to buy new spring or coilovers from monroe or keep throwing money into it until you have the ride height you are looking for .. I am going with coilover to level out the back end then get my truck properly aligned..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or do the right thing and buy new leafs. Some places can re-arch the existing ones too...

How do AAL compare to helper springs in terms of leveling out the gangsta lean? Looks like AAL requires taking the leaf pack apart while helps install without removing the leaf pack.

My experience was a bit different. I've been very happy with the Sensa-Tracs. I got about 1" to 1-1/2" of lift, so no more butt sag. I've had them on for about a year and a half now and am very satisfied. They do have a little stiffer ride but I am the only driver and really don't care or expect a 17 year old truck to ride like a couch. So far no leaks, blown seals, or anything like that. They were a good choice for me , my truck, the way I drive, and my budget. That's about all one can ask, eh?

Me too. Mine rides firmer than stock, but closer to stock firmness with the Sensa-Trac load adjusts than with the old shocks, and that's fine by me because it's a top heavy vehicle.

The lift puts the rear about 1/2" higher than level but if the rear sag continues to progress it just gets closer to stock height, plus as the shocks wear a little they're not going to be as firm either.

Putting them on the rear improved the ride a lot more than putting KYB Gas-A-Just on the front, except that I noticed crisper steering from that. If I were doing it over again I'd get the KYB Monomax for the front instead, but either is a lot better than Sensa Trac in front.

Would the 58617 fit a 03 sport?

Update!

Thanks for your replies guys. My apologies for showing up late.

My truck now has the Sensa-trac+ F-150/Explorer hybrid leaves in the rear, and TT + Rancho RS5374 in the front.

It also got some 2" wheel spacers, and will be getting an '10 Mustang motor.

Some thoughts about the front shocks: if you've had a severe sag in the rear for about a decade, you probably won't be happy with the Rancho upgrade. Being a Physicist, I theorized that the sag probably rendered my factory 16 year old shocks in the front grossly underworked and that they might be in tip-top condition. Lo and behold! I was right. Rancho upgrade completely destroyed my front ride quality. The rebound is the same as old shocks but the Ranchos are hard as brick. The truck now rides very harsh in the front, and bitter-soft in the rear. Worst $89 spent in my life. I will look around for more options after the motor job.

Pics in a month or two.

[MENTION=255273]ccm2001[/MENTION]
From 2002-2005 they only fit in the rear of SPORT TRAC (according to Monroe catalog). Sorry, but I'm sure you have unlimited options for your rear since you have struts :)

Thanks for your replies guys. My apologies for showing up late.

My truck now has the Sensa-trac+ F-150/Explorer hybrid leaves in the rear, and TT + Rancho RS5374 in the front.

It also got some 2" wheel spacers, and will be getting an '10 Mustang motor.

Some thoughts about the front shocks: if you've had a severe sag in the rear for about a decade, you probably won't be happy with the Rancho upgrade. Being a Physicist, I theorized that the sag probably rendered my factory 16 year old shocks in the front grossly underworked and that they might be in tip-top condition. Lo and behold! I was right. Rancho upgrade completely destroyed my front ride quality. The rebound is the same as old shocks but the Ranchos are hard as brick. The truck now rides very harsh in the front, and bitter-soft in the rear. Worst $89 spent in my life. I will look around for more options after the motor job.

Pics in a month or two.

[MENTION=255273]ccm2001[/MENTION]
From 2002-2005 they only fit in the rear of SPORT TRAC. Sorry, but I'm sure you have unlimited options for your rear since you have struts :)

I dont have struts, just regular shocks

Good lord..that has to be the only time I actually found Wikipedia useful! Thanks for the link [MENTION=106710]swshawaii[/MENTION]

How did it turn out the AAL and new shocks?

Get rid of those Racho-blows and toss a set of KYB's on the front end.

Worst $89 spent in my life. I will look around for more options after the motor job.
I guess nobody believes me that Monroe shocks are junk... To be clear Tenneco is the manufacturer of Monroe and Rancho.

The only shocks that work well on this SUV (actually on any SUV) are the monotube (high pressure) ones. Everything else is a waste of money.
Personally I have KYB Gas-A-Just (monotubes) on both front and rear, after throwing in trash 4 fairly new Monroes.

I guess nobody believes me that Monroe shocks are junk... To be clear Tenneco is the manufacturer of Monroe and Rancho.

The only shocks that work well on this SUV (actually on any SUV) are the monotube (high pressure) ones. Everything else is a waste of money.
Personally I have KYB Gas-A-Just (monotubes) on both front and rear, after throwing in trash 4 fairly new Monroes.

It has nothing to do with whether anyone believes you or not.
You state your opinion as if it is fact. You don't like Monroe Sensa-Tracs. Okay, that is your opinion. You say it is junk. Again, your opinion. It isn't a fact no matter how much you try and justify it. And others have a differing opinion. There are many people here that are very satisfied with the performance provided by Monroe Sensa-Tracs. And apparently there are millions of consumers that share that opinion. Doesn't make them the greatest shock, nor does it make them junk. It makes them a shock that is acceptable to some and not to others. Get over it.

I thought the regular (non-load-adjust) Sensa-Tracs were fine for several thousand miles I had them on. Fine for going straight and acceptable for handling in general when new, but handling got too sloppy too early in their life for my driving style and local road conditions and I loathe the constant undulating boat-on-water sensation of shocks that don't dampen more than they do.

Some would prefer that to feeling bumps in the road more but I don't. Then again your wheel and tire combo plays a part in that too so not everyone is getting exactly the same ride experience from any given set of shocks.

And others have a differing opinion.
They are so great that Monroe decided to can the SensaTrac line. I guess they know better than you what that Positional-Sensing-Technology is worth... because they finally replaced it with Impact Control Valve (ICV) in March this year.
And they extended the line of Monotube shocks - but still not avail for Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Technology evolves and new product lines come out continually. Doesn't mean that the previous one was junk. At the time they introduced the Sensa-Trac line they probably thought that it was pretty good or they would not have released to the market, eh? And sales figures back that up.

Back