Dark Car Feature | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dark Car Feature

SHAD0W

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Velar
Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery or replacing the battery will remove the dark car feature? Or is this simply a feature that can only be affected by programming via IDS or VCM2?

I'm working on mods that will require me to disconnect and remove the battery, but don't want to lose that feature.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am curious to know what this mod even is lol.

What is this dark car feature you're speaking off?? If you don't mind me asking

It's not so much as a mod, as it is a passive feature that folks are not aware of. I have this feature (or "mod" if some wish to call it that), and I don't want to disrupt it when I am doing other mods.

All civilian models from Base to Sport have a feature called Illuminated Entry/Exit, where the cabin, parking, and puddle lights turn on whenever you enter/exit the vehicle. As a standard, Interceptors have this feature disabled by using a feature called "Dark Car," which disables the Illuminated Entry/Exit feature--police officers do not want to draw attention to themselves whenever the lights turn on as they enter/exit the vehicle.

From what I've read, civilian customers, on the other hand, can have the dark car feature activated at their local dealer (provided the technician knows how to program it) for a fee. Some local dealers will do it for free if you are law enforcement or fed government.

It can only be disabled/enabled by changing the programming. Disconnecting the battery won't change anything. You'll be fine.

It can only be disabled/enabled by changing the programming. Disconnecting the battery won't change anything. You'll be fine.

I had a hunch, but wasn't certain. Thanks for the info!

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've been trying to figure this out for awhile. I've been looking for a way to disable the interior lights when I open the doors (trying to avoid waking the kids when on long road trips at night). My 2015 Fusion has a button that turns this feature off, but I can't find anything on the Ex.

So my question is, does the "dark car" option disable all lighting (interior/exterior), or can it be programmed to only disable the interior lights? Also, do I then have the option to turn it on or off as needed, or will it always be off after they program it?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've been trying to figure this out for awhile. I've been looking for a way to disable the interior lights when I open the doors (trying to avoid waking the kids when on long road trips at night). My 2015 Fusion has a button that turns this feature off, but I can't find anything on the Ex.

So my question is, does the "dark car" option disable all lighting (interior/exterior), or can it be programmed to only disable the interior lights? Also, do I then have the option to turn it on or off as needed, or will it always be off after they program it?

Its computer programmable only. User can't change it. If you have puddle lights is disables those too. Not sure if the explorer has those.

All interior and exterior lights are disabled. And like jmr061 said, this feature cannot be turned on or off by the driver. It will take a dealer visit each time to turn the feature on OR off (in case you don't like it).

HOWEVER, although the lights are turned off when exiting or entering the truck, the lights are still functional. That is, when opening the door (when entering or exiting) you can still press on any of the lights and they will turn on.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will just have to live with it as is.

I'm interested in this feature too as I'm a Gub'ment man myself...

I don't think there is an on override for the puddle lights in the "dark car" mode. In my 2001 Sport I can disable courtesy lights with the dimmer control.

I'm interested in this feature too as I'm a Gub'ment man myself...

Check with the fleet managers of the dealers in your area. I dunno if any would ask for creds or anything like that. I personally know my fleet manager and he is "familiar" with my line of work and had no issue doing me a solid.

I don't think there is an on override for the puddle lights in the "dark car" mode. In my 2001 Sport I can disable courtesy lights with the dimmer control.

I don't think there's a switch for a manual override either, but the dark car does disable the puddle lights as well. But I can still turn the puddle lights on using the illuminate cabin button, which turns on all the interior lights and the puddle lights concurrently.

When I disable courtesy lights that also disables puddle lights.

Big difference technology wise between 2001 and 2011-2015

Has anyone here had their Ex reprogrammed for the Dark Car Feature (your interior illuminated lights are DISABLED when you turn the car off)..you can still manually turn them on after reprogramming it. Did you notice any long-term issues after reprogramming? Ford told me that it would not void the warranty.

Has anyone here had their Ex reprogrammed for the Dark Car Feature (your interior illuminated lights are DISABLED when you turn the car off)..you can still manually turn them on after reprogramming it. Did you notice any long-term issues after reprogramming? Ford told me that it would not void the warranty.

This was literally the first feature that I had enabled when I first got my Ex. Have not had one single issue since then.

Its a factory feature...what issues would it cause?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was literally the first feature that I had enabled when I first got my Ex. Have not had one single issue since then.

Thanks...they are charging me $150 to reprogram it for two hours..does that sound right?

Back